Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 12:03 PM

773 posts, read 1,938,248 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone used salmon remains for dog food? I kept a couple reds carcasses to see if the dogs would eat them, but think I should maybe cook them in a pressure cooker first to soften the bones. Is anyone doing this and if so, how are you doing it. Keep in mind, I am not very good at fileting fish, so there is still quite a bit of meat on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 12:12 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I don't believe any bones of any kind are recommended for dogs to eat. You don't want to puncture the stomach or intestine, that could lead to them dying...

Old 01-09-2018, 12:29 PM

Keep in mind, I have 2 big dogs. I know dog mushers feed their dogs fish, some without cooking it.

Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Salmon do not have bones, but the cartilage/ribs may stick in their throats, the vertebrae are a non issue. Pressure cooking them should soften the cartilage considerably. I would not hesitate to feed it to the dogs.

Who knows how many fish my dogs ate over the years while out camping and fishing, and just think about how many wild canines consume countless salmon carcasses over their lifetimes with no ill effect?

Old 01-09-2018, 01:10 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Salmon certainly do have bones. Sharks don't have bones and just cartilage.

If you boil the salmon carcass thoroughly in a good amount of water then toss a handful of uncooked white or brown rice and a half cup of lard you have a superior dog food that money can not buy. The dogs need the fat and the rice is bulk and the fish is teriffic. You can also chunk the carcass and run it through the food processor but not necessary.

Pressure cooker is fine but not necessary.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
Quote:
Salmon certainly do have bones. Sharks don't have bones and just cartilage.
You are correct. I stand by the rest of my post, regardless.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:17 PM

I put them in a pressure cooker with some carrots and rice, got it to 10 psi and let it cook for about 20 minutes, still haven't opened it up yet, but I'll let you know what it looks like. the carrots are from last years garden and have started growing tops, so thought I'd try them. I plan on mixing this up with some regular dog food.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:20 PM

really doesn't smell bad....kind of like a fish soup, which I have never try'd.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:51 PM

459 posts, read 585,248 times
Should not feed the dogs veggies. They can not digest them. If you can strain the bones out you can make some fine chowder out of it instead.

Try to pick out the carrots and do not mix with crappy dog food. Use the rice and buy a small can a lard (NOT crisco - LARD). Great for them and especially in winter.

@AK76 ... the rest of your post I agree with too. Bones will get real soft. Chicken bones on the other hand get brittle when the are cooked and those are killers.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Should not feed the dogs veggies. They can not digest them. If you can strain the bones out you can make some fine chowder out of it instead.

Try to pick out the carrots and do not mix with crappy dog food. Use the rice and buy a small can a lard (NOT crisco - LARD). Great for them and especially in winter.

@AK76 ... the rest of your post I agree with too. Bones will get real soft. Chicken bones on the other hand get brittle when the are cooked and those are killers.
carrots are fine for a dog. As a matter of fact many vets recommend carrots for a snack. Great for the dog. But not all veggies are good for a dog. I used to have a list of approved veggies and unapproved ones, but we no longer have dogs.

Here is a veggie link: http://www.akc.org/content/health/ar...-and-cant-eat/

As far as fish, you can for sure feed your dog the fish. Just boil it and make that soup recommendation that one of the people above recommended (RexLan I believe). No need to pressure cook, just boil it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska