Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 15,766 times

Advertisements

Hello!

A little background to start.. I am a twenty-two year old single mother of two that is looking into moving to Alaska within the next couple of years. I've lived all over the US; on the West Coast and in the Mid-West, and have had some trouble deciding where I want to call home for my little family. Within the past couple of months I have started to do a lot of research into Alaska and feel somewhere inside of me that this is where we are meant to be heading. By the time we plan to move I will have completed my Bachelor's Degree and I am completely self-sustaining financially. My kids and I are very outdoorsy and prefer the cold to the heat. We have lived places where we would get -10/-15 at nights and -7 throughout the day, though I know it's colder in Alaska. I am currently the most interested in the Fairbanks/North Pole area as it seems like it has most modern amenities but I am not interested in going back to a city as large as Anchorage. We're not looking for a big life, just a good one.

I am currently planning to have about 10 months of livable savings on top of moving costs, plus emergency "get out" money I have heard is a necessary thing in case things really take a turn for the south. I don't know the best way to go about moving though and a google search is only doing so much good.

I'm really just looking for any tips/advice anyone has about the process of moving to Alaska and preparing for the inevitable cold weather; ie. What outerwear is the best? Where can I find it? Should I bring a snow blower? How much money do I really need to have saved up for this change? Is it likely that I will be able to secure a job before moving? How much is an average heat bill/do rentals come with heat included?

Any advice is welcome, really. I know many people may look on this as an insane idea and to much of a risk. I've considered it. The dangers that come with Alaska and the constant flux in the economy.. but I think that this is what's right for my family. So please, any advice or opinions are asked for.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 04:41 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,691 times
What will your degree be in? No way would I suggest or recommend moving up without a job lined up.

And how old are your kids? Childcare options are the greatest up here.

As far as winter stuff. But that here.

I get you have lived with cold temps, but are those including windchill? And how long did it stay below O? Big difference between -15 with windchill and -50 for weeks on end.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:31 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
What will your degree be in? No way would I suggest or recommend moving up without a job lined up.

And how old are your kids? Childcare options aren't the greatest up here.
This. You didn't mention your profession or how you plan to land a job that will bring in enough income to handle the costs of living...housing, utilities, health care, maintaining vehicles, buying the basics. It will all cost more than you think. Yes, childcare and education need to be considered. You won't have as many options up here. Its more than cold weather. You can dress for that. It is also the dark days for months. The distance from supportive family/friends back down south. Lack of things to entertain you and the kids too. There will be times you simply can't depend on the outdoors to provide your entertainment. Cabin fever is a thing.

Smart to have a bug out fund. Many folks move up here and last about 2 years. Then they can't wait to move south again when the grand experiment fails to live up to their expectations.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:42 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Smart to have a bug out fund. Many folks move up here and last about 2 years. Then they can't wait to move south again when the grand experiment fails to live up to their expectations.
I agree, most people who move up to AK without a locked-in plan leave in a few months to a couple years, having wasted a lot of money in the moves. But with a good story to tell I suppose.

That said, you can begin job searching from wherever you are. And having almost a year in savings is better than many people.

I lived south of Fairbanks and traveled to town quite a bit for shopping and other needs. Summer is late but when it arrives it is hot days (unless it rains) and cool nights. The leaves are turning and it begins raining in mid-August and by Halloween it is usually winter with subzero temps. During winter Fairbanks/NP can experience weeks-long cold snaps in the minus thirties or colder. That said, people acclimate and dress for it and prepare their vehicles for it. It's said that people suffer winter to enjoy the summer; since I wasn't into snowmobiling (or "sledding" in Alaska-speak) or dog sledding and the skiing north of the Alaska Range isn't that great IMO, that was definitely me. We had Alaska Airlines credit cards because we flew out of the state quite a bit to vacation during winter or visit our families in the lower 48 and the miles were needed. My wife wasn't working when we had our child up there so I don't know that much about daycare but I suspect it isn't great.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 08-12-2020 at 05:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 06:03 PM

14 posts, read 15,766 times
Thank you for your responses! I meant to keep my response short... but it ended up being pretty long.

I am getting my degree in History with a minor in Environmental Law and Policy. I plan to try and secure a job before moving, but it seems that a lot of the job postings that I find all require Alaskan Residency before you are eligible for the position. Is it best to try and secure a position that might not make as well for the interm while applying for better jobs?

For the past four years I have worked in Accounting and Business management and am currenly working as a Paralegal and Marketing Manager at a law firm. I hope to find a way to use my degree in Alaska, but I know that may not be the case right away. Right now, my plan is to fly up to Alaska multiple times in the coming year to learn the area and the climate as well as apply for jobs and attend interviews, (hopefully) closer to the time we are looking to move.

From my research, and please correct me if I am wrong, with my qualifications I SHOULD be able to find a job that is able to sustian the needs of my family. The rent prices are pretty comprable to what I am used to paying though I know utility charges will be much higher. I am also planning/saving to bring a savings with me of about $35K after moving costs plus an emergency fund as I am taking the time to put away as much money as possible. Whether I will need to use this money to suplement my income or for any necessary large purchases like heating fuel or any equipment I may need.

I do have a close friend that is planning on making the move with us, so with two incomes in the house I know it will be a small relief, but I am working to set myself up so that it isn't necessary for them to come with us for the plan to work. My
children will be 6 and 7 when we make the move, though coming up on 7 and 8. I do plan to have them in a public/private school setting while suplementing education at home.. and having an additonal person in the house also helps with childcare when I am at work.

The darkness is probably my biggest concern. I have read and watched and spoken to numerous people and i'm trying not to discount how hard it will be. I've spoken to our family doctor and we plan to start vitamin supplementing before we even leave, and continue supplementing once we move to Alaska. I have also looked into light boxes and different ways to stay interactive. We are board game and book lovers in my family and despite the cost I believe I will be bringing my full library with me that I have been building since I was a child. We are close with family but have also spent a long period of time living away from all of our family. I hope to get involved with any community groups or church groups to help with integration into the community and building relationships as well.

Weather wise.. I can't say I am not completely nervous. Where we have lived previously we would be in the negative for days at a time with a lot of wind, though we did also have a lot of tree cover. A couple of years ago we had a pretty intense winter where we got about six feet of snow at our house that stayed around for about 5-6 months. Our roof completely cracked down the middle from the weight and how fast it all came down and froze.

I know that this could end up being a massive failure, and that a get out fund may be necessary at some point.. I hope that this isn't the case though and that is why I am trying to prepare myself as much as possible. Any thoughts or advice is absolutely welcome.. that is why I made this post. So please, any comments help a whole lot.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:04 PM

Oh, and:

Classifieds | newsminer.com

https://www.apartments.com/fairbanks-ak/

You might also look into the Palmer/Wasilla area known collectively as the Matanuska Valley.

Most days in the winter I would wear expensive wool long underwear (Icebreaker, Smartwool etc.), insulated Carhartt pants or overalls, and a down coat with a hood. MY wife would dress similarly, though she really appreciated these over-skirts. If raining or snowing I would wear a more expensive insulated waterproof parka with a hood and maybe insulated ski pants. For kids, I would wait until arriving up there to buy their stuff if you can, otherwise look for winter clothes that have a quilted or fleece layer, or simply put them into ski-type clothes every day, which they can peel off when coming inside. And buy nice winter boots for everyone, look for something that is rated to at least -40. My wife loved her Steger Mukluks for everyday wear during the coldest months. Nothing special needed for summer months, except maybe waterproof muck boots for mud season or for playing in the outdoors.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:08 PM

I had a hard time with SAD, I had light boxes at my desk at work, in our living room and kitchen, and in my last winter I actually wore the bright light visor. These all helped immensely. My wife on the other hand seemed unaffected. She had lived in Alaska for several years before we met. I also had a problem with it when living in ("on"?) the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, in the winters.

It really doesn't snow massive amounts in the Fairbanks area, it's there on the ground all winter but you won't get the amount that some other parts of Alaska (or the lower 48 for that matter) experience. I think the most I ever saw on the ground in Fairbanks city proper was maybe two to three feet. Most of the time it's less.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 08-12-2020 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 01:19 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Dear Op:
I've been on these boards a lot, and though our circumstances are miles apart, I have never seen or read any post that seems as well positioned economically and mentally to make such a major living leap as you!

I would only suggest that you have as much money as possible saved to weather any storm.
You are young and strong and brave.
Be smart and good things will follow.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:16 AM

903 posts, read 664,778 times
My daughter and her family moved from WI to Alaska 3 yrs ago. She is a nurse and had a job lined up. Her employer paid all moving expenses, shipping her car up. Her husband bought a trailer and moved what they didn't sell. Company paid all hotels and gas. She flew up with the younger 2 and the company paid for all of that. They were lucky. She also received money to cover the first 3 months of rent.

They live in Eagle River and love it. Her husband stayed home with the 2 younger kids until this year. They bought a house and are settled in for the long haul. Her husband's company asked if he wanted to relocate to Portland OR but he said no.

For them the winters are milder then here in WI. We get more snow and it seems when WI is below 0 they are in the 30s and when she is below 0 WI is in the 30s.

We are going up next week to visit for 2 weeks. Can't wait to see them, it has been just over a year.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:52 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post

For them the winters are milder then here in WI. We get more snow and it seems when WI is below 0 they are in the 30s and...
Interesting that this is their impression. Lately winters have been mostly much warmer than usual in AK, which would explain it. Looking at historical data, however, it's not true regarding temperatures. They look to be very similar with the edge in coldness going to Alaska. Snowfall definitely higher in WI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_River,_Anchorage*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wausau,_Wisconsin*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska