Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 08:50 AM

156 posts, read 168,441 times

Advertisements

I wanna move to Alaska but it's too expensive and far away from my family in Tennessee and Missouri, so I've been looking at Upper Michigan instead. Any other places that feel like Alaska?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 10:42 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Probably the rural parts of Montana, Idaho or Wyoming. You have some similarity in mountain scenery, small, spread out towns and very conservative points of view.

I visited Alaska this past summer and was somewhat surprised at the redneck culture once we got outside of Anchorage. I told my wife that it reminded me of parts of Texas that I've been to (although the scenery/climate is completely different).

Old 09-06-2021, 11:48 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Depends on what part of AK you mean. Its so diverse in terms of topography, biology, climate. Obviously OR and WA, even coastal northern CA remind me of the panhandle, CO and Idaho remind me of south central and southern Interior, parts of WY, MT, especially high alpine areas in the bigger mountain ranges, even places farther east along the US/CA border. The northern Interior is unique. Of course, in terms of human personality, there does seem to be more conservative redneck aspects outside Anchorage, but that makes sense...a lot of those folks came here following mining, petroleum, and timber jobs and brought their mindsets with them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-06-2021 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-06-2021, 01:02 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
If you're looking for a lot of snow then UP of Michigan, boundary waters of Minnesota or far north along the east coast are probably your best bets.

There is no where in U.S. that is very similar to my area of SE, with fjords, steep mountains along the coast, and numerous glaciers. For that, look at Norway or New Zealand. Of course, they're even more expensive!

Old 09-06-2021, 01:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
I don't think that there is a "redneck aspect" outside nor inside of Anchorage. It is more like "liberals" in the cities, and conservatives in the rural areas. Alaskans in general, including liberals and conservatives, tend to be sort of "independent and conservative" in relation to family, work, and nation. In relation to politics, Alaskans tend to vote for republicans for Federal Government, but not necessarily the same way in relation to State and local Governments. We elect both liberal and conservative politicians.

The unions are "big" in Alaska, in both the public and private sector and its members are Alaska residents, and residents of other States. A lot of these workers are Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, and so on. Also, the military is quite "big" in Alaska, and so a population that's comprised of active and former military members. The timber industry is just about "none" in Alaska, and the oil industry has been in decline for several years. The fishing and tourism industries are doing OK, and so mining, but the most numerous and stable jobs are in the Federal, and State sectors. These include: police, fire, university workers, and a myriad of agencies and jobs in the public sector. In other words, The State's budget, which include local governments is enormous.

Saying that folks working in the mining, oil, and timber industries tend have a redneck attitude is probably fine as long as one refuses to accept the PDF check coming-in every year, since that money originates from some of these industries. Why accepting money from 'them rednecks"? Our perceptions of others aren't necessarily the truth, for we tend to see ourselves as being right, but not others .

Last edited by RayinAK; 09-06-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-06-2021, 01:11 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedCamper View Post
I wanna move to Alaska but it's too expensive and far away from my family in Tennessee and Missouri, so I've been looking at Upper Michigan instead. Any other places that feel like Alaska?
I was stationed in Alaska 1 1/2 1976-77 USCG , here's a short list....

1.Wyoming
2.Montana
3Idaho
4.Northern Nevada
5.Colorada
6.Utah

Old 09-06-2021, 03:10 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I was stationed in Alaska 1 1/2 1976-77 USCG , here's a short list....

1.Wyoming
2.Montana
3Idaho
4.Northern Nevada
5.Colorada
6.Utah
No part of Utah reminded me of Alaska. It’s a desert and brown all the time. I hated the year I lived there. And BYU sucked.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:37 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
No part of Utah reminded me of Alaska. It’s a desert and brown all the time. I hated the year I lived there. And BYU sucked.
O.K. brown all of the time....

Old 09-06-2021, 03:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Yeah, I was gonna say...Utah?

Anyway, OP, you need to define what it is that draws you to Alaska and go from there. It's a huge state and just saying that you're looking for a place that's "feels like Alaska" isn't much to go on.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that "redneck culture" exists in the areas surrounding Anchorage; they followed the oil from Texas, after all. Nick Jans wrote a good article about that once. Once you get out to the villages, though, you don't find that level of conservatism.

There are parts of the Oregon and Washington coastal areas that remind me of parts southern SE in certain ways, but I don't think that's what you're looking for.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:52 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Coos (Cohass) county NH. Lots of snow in winter, snow on the ground 6 or 7 months out of the year depending on elevation. Its got the White Mountains too, if you like skiing. IIRC there's a few dog sledding clubs up there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska