Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2023, 01:48 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
YES! We suck in the Bay Area, not all of us, but a lot. Didn't used to be that way, but it now is and is one of many reasons I am looking to get out of this area and Alaska is just one of several areas I am considering moving to, so am enjoying this post. Best wishes with whatever you decide OP!
If you think AK will be some sanctuary from human disregard, selfishness, and blatant disrespect, you're in for a wakeup call. People trash and behave badly on public and private land here too; to a disgusting degree. We have a lot of so-called "end of the roader" attitude. People who are unable or can't be bothered to respect anyone other than themselves so they get as far as they can on their last dime or before their method of transportation finally dies. Then they squat in squalor. Obnoxious, aggressive, amoral behavior, crime, arrogance and ignorance. Granted, AK has more than its share of pristine remote places where the few scattered visitors/residents behave themselves, but that's partly because they are quite difficult for a broader cross section of humanity to reach. Many towns are peppered with or surrounded by unkempt fringes of abuse and neglect; casual tossing aside of the inconvenient, toxic, too-expensive-to-deal-with-responsibly, unsightly detritus of society. Maybe because it's AK, but the stark contrast can make your heart ache even more than it might somewhere you'd expect to see it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-26-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2023, 05:01 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,847,363 times
That's truly sad.

Old 01-26-2023, 05:40 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
If you think AK will be some sanctuary from human disregard, selfishness, and blatant disrespect, you're in for a wakeup call. People trash and behave badly on public and private land here too; to a disgusting degree. We have a lot of so-called "end of the roader" attitude. People who are unable or can't be bothered to respect anyone other than themselves so they get as far as they can on their last dime or before their method of transportation finally dies. Then they squat in squalor. Obnoxious, aggressive, amoral behavior, crime, arrogance and ignorance. Granted, AK has more than its share of pristine remote places where the few scattered visitors/residents behave themselves, but that's partly because they are quite difficult for a broader cross section of humanity to reach. Many towns are peppered with or surrounded by unkempt fringes of abuse and neglect; casual tossing aside of the inconvenient, toxic, too-expensive-to-deal-with-responsibly, unsightly detritus of society. Maybe because it's AK, but the stark contrast can make your heart ache even more than it might somewhere you'd expect to see it.
I have a different view than yours. The type of personalities you have referred to exist in every US state, not just Alaska. Every state of the union has people like the ones you have mentioned above, but in larger numbers in Alaska. I had been in a lot of places before I retired from the military, and have been in Alaska since the 1970's.

The bottomline is as follows: if one is not happy with the place one lives at, more than likely one won't be happy with any other place one moves to if one only notices "negatives" in others. My advise to others who desire moving to Alaska because they can't stand the people they surround themselves with, is to first move to another neighborhood or neighboring city, because moving to Alaska will be like moving overseas. Also, if you suffer from certain mental issues, including loneliness or depression, there is a good chance that you will do something crazy. Read about SAD and why this mental state is so common in Alaska.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-26-2023 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-26-2023, 06:17 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Well, there is the old parable:

A farmer is working his field near the road. A traveler comes along and asks what the people are like in the town up ahead. The farmer asks, "what are the people like in the town you came from?" The traveler replies, "they are the meanest, most despicable people you've ever met." The farmer says, "well, you'll find more of the same up ahead."

Later, another traveler comes along and asks the farmer the same question. The farmer also asks the same question, "what are the people like in the town you came from?" The traveler replies, "the nicest, most generous people you've ever met." The farmer responds, "well, you'll find more of the same up ahead."

Old 01-26-2023, 07:17 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Anyone who refutes this has clearly never lived on the panhandle. It was worse before Canada closed its borders to felons, because then they could just drive up. This type usually makes it as far as Ketchikan, where residents are quick to point them in the direction of POW, and the next thing you know, they're rolling off the ferry in Hollis (ala Billy Brown when he came dragging his passel of brats up in a bus up for the check).

I noticed a lot less of this up in Fairbanks and the Upper Su, probably because it's simply harder for end-of-the-roaders of limited means to get to, and just as difficult, if not more so, for them to stick around. On the lower panhandle, it's possible and even cheapish to spend the winter in ratty old trailers and other types of substandard housing. I think it may attract those looking for something like Slab City.

I think SE gets more than its share of Alaska dreamers and those who are attracted by the idea of an outlaw lifestyle. The outskirts of my community are looking pretty Third World these days. Of course there's more to it than this particular element, but it's there, and it's noticeable.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-26-2023 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Well, there is the old parable:

A farmer is working his field near the road. A traveler comes along and asks what the people are like in the town up ahead. The farmer asks, "what are the people like in the town you came from?" The traveler replies, "they are the meanest, most despicable people you've ever met." The farmer says, "well, you'll find more of the same up ahead."

Later, another traveler comes along and asks the farmer the same question. The farmer also asks the same question, "what are the people like in the town you came from?" The traveler replies, "the nicest, most generous people you've ever met." The farmer responds, "well, you'll find more of the same up ahead."
Agree with both the replies above. You'll find decent people everywhere. You'll find indecent people everywhere. Just seems that some dream that AK will turn out to be some sort of Shangri-la occupied by the best of humanity. That the hardships of the place brings out the nobility in those living such a romantically adventurous life. The grass is greener on steroids. Sadly, it just doesn't work out that way. I've met a lot of newcomers yearning to escape what troubled them about their south-48 lives only to find they didn't escape anything...they brought it right along with them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-27-2023 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-27-2023, 05:47 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Agree with both the replies above. You'll find decent people everywhere. You'll find indecent people everywhere. Just seems that some dream that AK will turn out to be some sort of Shangri-la occupied by the best of humanity. That the hardships of the place brings out the nobility in those living such a romantically adventurous life. The grass is greener on steroids. Sadly, it just doesn't work out that way. I've met a lot of newcomers yearning to escape what troubled them about their south-48 lives only to find they didn't escape anything...they brought it right along with them.

That's what I mean to say in my previews post. We do get a crowd of people who want to see the other side of the mountain (dreamers?). But there is something that has been happening in recent years, and that is the more strict rules for driving through Canada, and even Alaska. The driver licenses are highly monitored by government agencies these days. A lot of people aren't allowed to drive through Canada, too. It is also very difficult to fly unless one has a Real ID driver's license, or a military ID (or passport ID, or a passport).

Old 01-30-2023, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,195 times
Default James William

Great article with excellent idea! Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.

Last edited by Rance; 01-30-2023 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-30-2023, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,195 times
Nice to be visiting your blog again, it has been months for me.

Last edited by Rance; 01-30-2023 at 11:35 AM..

Old 02-01-2023, 12:12 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,343,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowballs View Post
FWIW, there's one thing that attracts me to Alaska over the lower 48 (and it's maybe sorta weird): the drawbacks! I see the cold and darkness as insurance against the population boom that has ruined Reno and Tahoe (for me, at least).
Move to WV, population peaked in the 50s. You can rest assured the decline is going to keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska