Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM

1,331 posts, read 3,000,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Well if I'm not mistaken, the Ravens are the "original" Cleveland Browns team that moved.
That would be correct. I actually despise the Ravens more because they've been more of a threat the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 03:44 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default football is a scourge

Football is a scourge upon the earth, at least if you live in a town where the local sports robber-baron can ransom a brand-new stadium out of the taxpayers every decade or so. I've never seen such a grossly opportunistic, yet somehow legal, form of grand-scale extortion. Of course the same goes for basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey, etc.

If anyone, anyone at all, can name a new sports stadium that a professional team actually PAID FOR THEMSELVES, I'll gladly retract my comment with apologies.

And in passing reference to the actual topic of the thread, Glitch is wrong on the PFD residency requirement. It's not 12 months after you've been a resident 12 months, it's just the calendar year thing, with the proviso that you can't be doing "resident" things in other states too. Call the PFD folks if you have any questions. And if anyone is an actual lawyer that's had some experience with the subject, I'd love to discuss the ramifications of active duty military who maintain their Alaska residency while stationed out-of-state, and what residency requirements apply while returning from being deployed or reassigned. That's a tangled mess of opposing regulations if there ever was one.

Don't even get me started on the SHARC card regs.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Football is a scourge upon the earth, at least if you live in a town where the local sports robber-baron can ransom a brand-new stadium out of the taxpayers every decade or so. I've never seen such a grossly opportunistic, yet somehow legal, form of grand-scale extortion. Of course the same goes for basketball, and to a lesser extent hockey, etc.

If anyone, anyone at all, can name a new sports stadium that a professional team actually PAID FOR THEMSELVES, I'll gladly retract my comment with apologies.

And in passing reference to the actual topic of the thread, Glitch is wrong on the PFD residency requirement. It's not 12 months after you've been a resident 12 months, it's just the calendar year thing, with the proviso that you can't be doing "resident" things in other states too. Call the PFD folks if you have any questions. And if anyone is an actual lawyer that's had some experience with the subject, I'd love to discuss the ramifications of active duty military who maintain their Alaska residency while stationed out-of-state, and what residency requirements apply while returning from being deployed or reassigned. That's a tangled mess of opposing regulations if there ever was one.

Rotorhead, you must realize that I wasn't joking about football's status in the area where I was born, raised, and spent and all but 3 of my years in, Pittsburgh. I am bred from birth to eat.breathe.sleep the Pittsburgh Steelers. The only Super Bowl that I can't recall watching is the first one, against the Vikings and the Purple People Eaters. Unfortunately for them, that moniker's reality couldn't compare to the the Steel Curtain.

And yes, my initial assessment of the Alaska's PFD website was correct and I confirmed it with a phone call. Once we're here for the entire 2009 calendar year, we can file for the 2010 disbursement. Honestly, I could care less about getting handed money that I haven't earned. Having a kid though tends to impact your money outlook because it's far more long-term. Either way, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Glitch - back to the verbage - no where does it state 24 months or two years - it does not state resident status as for F&G - it says to make alaska as your residence for the 12 months, calendar year. Is way different that stating you must be a resident - different meaning. Will let ya know in January what they sayand don't really give a rip either....just hate legal mumbo jumbo - but the way I read says just have to live here for a calendar year
But that is what it does say, AS 43.23.005(3) "was a state resident during the entire qualifying year"

You must already be a resident for a full calendar year before you are elligible to apply for a PFD check.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
It's not 12 months after you've been a resident 12 months, it's just the calendar year thing, with the proviso that you can't be doing "resident" things in other states too. Call the PFD folks if you have any questions. And if anyone is an actual lawyer that's had some experience with the subject, I'd love to discuss the ramifications of active duty military who maintain their Alaska residency while stationed out-of-state, and what residency requirements apply while returning from being deployed or reassigned. That's a tangled mess of opposing regulations if there ever was one.

It is hard to misinterpret AS 43.23.005(3) "was a state resident during the entire qualifying year". It doesn't say that they have to obtain residency status, but rather they must already BE residents during the entire calendar year.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is hard to misinterpret AS 43.23.005(3) "was a state resident during the entire qualifying year". It doesn't say that they have to obtain residency status, but rather they must already BE residents during the entire calendar year.
It is clear from reading both the Alaska Statutes and the PFD Application and PFD Audit documents, that a person who gets off the boat in December can get a job and get a drivers license, and is therefore a resident of Alaska. 13 months later, in January, they can legally apply for the PFD to be paid on October/November of that year.

Technically the minimum time between arriving in Alaska and applying for a PFD would be 1 year and 1 day, for a person who arrives on the last day of December and applies one year and one day later. The downside is that a person who arrives on January 3rd will have to wait two years rather than one.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Satch View Post
Rotorhead, you must realize that I wasn't joking about football's status in the area where I was born, raised, and spent and all but 3 of my years in, Pittsburgh. I am bred from birth to eat.breathe.sleep the Pittsburgh Steelers. The only Super Bowl that I can't recall watching is the first one, against the Vikings and the Purple People Eaters. Unfortunately for them, that moniker's reality couldn't compare to the the Steel Curtain.

And yes, my initial assessment of the Alaska's PFD website was correct and I confirmed it with a phone call. Once we're here for the entire 2009 calendar year, we can file for the 2010 disbursement. Honestly, I could care less about getting handed money that I haven't earned. Having a kid though tends to impact your money outlook because it's far more long-term. Either way, GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry sweetie, but was around then too - the Vikings "and" purple people eaters (ugh) are one and the same!!!!!

Last edited by Grannysroost; 08-18-2008 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: cuz I want to

Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Sorry sweetie, but was around then too - the Vikings "and" purple people eaters (ugh) are one and the same!!!!!
That's what I meant Granny. I was referring to the team as a whole and the nickname ascribed to their defense. If there is one thing is this world I know inside-out, it's football, especially Steeler football.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:38 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default still...

And still...no stadium info. You can't name one, because the thing don't exist. Like unicorns and the free lunch, a team-funded stadium is just another myth. It's always the taxpayers who foot the bill, including those who couldn't give a rats a$$ about football, like me.

And yes, I realize that this viewpoint puts me slightly in the minority in PA, and Texas, and WI, and NE, and... well, lots of places. Actually, it would probably be easier to name the places where it doesn't.

There's a few spots out there where football comes perilously close to being a de-facto state religion.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,417 times
We are in the military and I wasn't sure if we qualified for the PFD. The first 2 questions in the previous booklet for last year was about the time we have been here and then if we were planning to stay in Alaska indefinitely. If you were not going to be here indefinitely, you did NOT qualify. Being in the military makes it hard to know if you will be here indefintely or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska