Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times

Advertisements

After our best friends and their 2 kids (same age as ours and best friends with our kids) moved to Alaska this year, we knew we'd be visiting them, but we anticipated a 2-3 week trip. Our friends extended an invitation for the kids and me (and our 2 dogs) to come up for 6-8 weeks and have my husband join us for the last 3 weeks. We thought about it for about 20 minutes and decided that this is an opportunity of a lifetime for our kids (and us!) [We did really quiz our friends to see if the really meant it and they assured us they DO want us to visit for that long.]

I've been reading the Alaska board and looking at the beautiful photos taken by Rance, Highland Lady, Redhawk, Warptman and many others for months to whet my appetite thinking I'd have to cram everything in in 3 weeks max. Now I know we'll have more time .

Our friends live in Eagle River and I know that we'll be heading up to Denali for a few days and down to the Kenai Peninsula for a few days. I also know that our friends will be watching our kids while hubby and I take a birding trip to St. Paul Island (a dream of ours for years and one we never thought we'd realize.) And I know that I'll be watching all 4 kids and 4 dogs and 2 cats while the other parents take a child-free break. Other than that, I have no clue what we'll do.

If anybody has any 'must-see' suggestions, I'd love to hear them. As said above, we're avid birders, but we also love all wildlife. We're not opposed to touristy things, but we try to stay away from crowds (that's why we nixed the idea of a conventional cruise) as much as possible. If there are any guidebooks that are better than others, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
If anybody has any 'must-see' suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
sure, a "for sale" sign in your front yard. might as well get started now, you won't want to leave after that much time here.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
sure, a "for sale" sign in your front yard. might as well get started now, you won't want to leave after that much time here.
That's what others have told me, but the issue is that hubby is a Professor of Pharmaceutical Science and there are no schools of Pharmacy in Alaska . Some have suggested he create a School of Pharmacy at University of Alaska and I'm still trying to convince him that that's what he should do. I have been to Alaska before, but he hasn't. He has NO idea how incredible it is. I was only there for a week back in 1991 and I was blown away. I'm so happy to be returning!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 10:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
You have to let him see what he is in for...and he will probably love it with the plans you have - so many different species of birds up here. You just enjoy it and take it day to day, and lots of pics

Old 08-22-2008, 11:38 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Definately get him to create that school!

Old 08-23-2008, 03:35 AM

50 posts, read 174,969 times
A lot depends on personality. Are you busy people who like to always have an itinerary full or are you happier to kick back and take it slow. Either way there are many things to accommodate either. You did not mention the ages of your children, or I may have missed it but the Sea Life center in Seward is on my personal must see list. They have a web site I am sure will come up if Google it. Beach combing in Homer can't be beat. The State fair in Palmer is worth your time. Bet you'll never find a bigger cabbage! We did the Kenai Fjords tour this year with some family. For me it was nothing new. My dad was in the Navy so we always owned a boat and I grew up seeing that environment. I realized by the family that had never been here, and actually by my own children s reaction as well that it was something special.
As far as a guide, nothing beats a Milepost. Even if your not driving the AlCan there is a wealth of information and idea's.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska