Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:53 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times

Advertisements

My favorite ferry ride was in December '90. There was a power scow taking the place of the Tusty, and all the half dozen or so cars and trucks were bolted to the deck, no cabins, just a little lounge with a lot of vending machines. We spent a couple days in English Bay waiting for the weather to drop a bit before crossing the Shelikof. It sounds uncomfortable, but every single person was Alaskan and took it all in stride, kind of like having a very low key party, so as not to disturb the ones sleeping in the chairs. Those of us who had animals in our vehicles got to go down and walk them whenever we needed to, feed them, etc. Not a single whiny complainer in the lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,518 times
Default Columbia

The Columbia went down for the count early last fall. It blew an engine right at the end of the summer, throwing the Bellingham ferry schedule completely into disarray while it was down for repairs. Not only did the AMHS have a full schedule booked to the end of the season, but all the other ferries are so much smaller that just shifting another vessel into it's spot still left them short on vehicle and cabin space. I know, since we were booked on it for our move up here. We got "indefinately delayed", and then just cancelled as they struggled to cope with the traffic already in the system. We ended up driving up via the AlCan, a nice enough trip but not one that we'd planned for.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:32 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,847,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
The Columbia went down for the count early last fall. It blew an engine right at the end of the summer, throwing the Bellingham ferry schedule completely into disarray while it was down for repairs. Not only did the AMHS have a full schedule booked to the end of the season, but all the other ferries are so much smaller that just shifting another vessel into it's spot still left them short on vehicle and cabin space. I know, since we were booked on it for our move up here. We got "indefinately delayed", and then just cancelled as they struggled to cope with the traffic already in the system. We ended up driving up via the AlCan, a nice enough trip but not one that we'd planned for.
Good story - so when and how was the drive??

Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
OK, what the hell, it won't be until November now. I don't know how I'll get there. Either way I have to spend the night somewhere which I hate. You can't fly into Ketchikan and get the ferry to POW the same day. And if I take the ferry up from Bellingham I'll probably have to spend the night god knows where on the way up there.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:33 PM

273 posts, read 587,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
OK, what the hell, it won't be until November now. I don't know how I'll get there. Either way I have to spend the night somewhere which I hate. You can't fly into Ketchikan and get the ferry to POW the same day. And if I take the ferry up from Bellingham I'll probably have to spend the night god knows where on the way up there.
Aren't there any morning flights? Or does that require a layover in Seattle?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Oh you're right I just looked. Either crack of dawn which would req. night before in Seattle or everything else gets here after 3:30. Whichever way, you'd probably end up overflying ketch to Sitka anyway bec of fog & the landing strip is too short right now anyway.....
The people coming south today ended up in Seattle and the northbounds overlfew to Sitka. I think we had one landing today. Nothing more fun that the prospect of a Sitka hotel on short notice..... Plan for Seattle and treat yourself to a suite somewhere. Or place your bets on pac air...lol. (not to discourage you or anything)

Old 09-15-2008, 09:56 PM

Oh hell I can see it now. I hate to admit this but I usually end up crying every time I travel because stuff like this happens to me.

I got your message; replied...

Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Jeez Met... Tell those idiots to send the company jet for you & don't put up with any BS excuses. Tell them that they're damn lucky to have you & that you turned down Gordon Ramsey to be there.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Oh crap I'm sorry. Actually the Landing isn't half bad since they added that new wing. I could meet you at Jeremiah's for drinks?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM

Or out at the Narrows, Wrennie, where I usually stay when I overnight in Ketchikan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska