Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times

Advertisements

Hello>? Where is he waiter? I would like to order now.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I would have to say that we "all" have been rude at one time or another on this forum as they are on all forums. New Kid found his way to the Chicago forum so he'll get the info he needs.
I'm glad he found his way out of here; I'm sure that he left with a stellar impression.

I don't know that we've "all" been rude here; I'd say most of the regulars have been so a time or two when involved in heated discussions. I really don't think that compares to the growing trend here of slamming someone simply because they are "new" or made a silly mistake that anyone could make.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the reps, by the way.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:00 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm glad he found his way out of here; I'm sure that he left with a stellar impression.

I don't know that we've "all" been rude here; I'd say most of the regulars have been so a time or two when involved in heated discussions. I really don't think that compares to the growing trend here of slamming someone simply because they are "new" or made a silly mistake that anyone could make.

Was a simple mistake the kid made; however, if he could have laughed it off and said "oops...my mistake" he might have felt a little better about it and I'm sure would have had some good conversation going here. I didn't really feel anyone "slammed" him but just made silly jokes out of it. Maybe everybody's slap-happy with the holidays...hard to say.

As I said, I have seen just about "all" on here come off as rude to newcomers. The kid found his way to Chicago forums is what matters.

BTW, I received many reps also but I just wish they'd leave their name when they do it. but thanks to those who did.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:04 PM

7,504 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Yeah, they can't win. If someone replies to an old thread they're jumped on for doing so but by the same token if they start a new thread asking a question that anyone else has asked in the past five years they're jumped on for not doing a "search".
I can't believe I am doing this.. but I agree

Old 12-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I can't believe I am doing this.. but I agree
Yeah you better watch it; that makes the second or so time this month. Have you been into the X-Mas hooch?als

Pat, trying to hide mean spirited sniping behind the facade of a silly joke doesn't fly. Apparently a lot of people here agree and they signed their rep points

Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah you better watch it; that makes the second or so time this month. Have you been into the X-Mas hooch?als

Pat, trying to hide mean spirited sniping behind the facade of a silly joke doesn't fly. Apparently a lot of people here agree and they signed their rep points

Met, I recall a post of your's a few weeks ago that was deleted that you replied to a poster named Samantha, who was coming to AK. as a Village Officer or something similar and you got a bit nasty about the troopers, etc., that came off pretty nasty...so let it go. What is the big deal here? BTW, I'm not trying to hide mean spirited sniping behind the facade of anything. I gave my opinion and that's what it was. Nor am I sticking up for anyone on here...those that feel you are referring to them can stick up for themselves.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Met, I recall a post of your's a few weeks ago that was deleted that you replied to a poster named Samantha, who was coming to AK. as a Village Officer or something similar and you got a bit nasty about the troopers, etc., that came off pretty nasty...so let it go. What is the big deal here? BTW, I'm not trying to hide mean spirited sniping behind the facade of anything. I gave my opinion and that's what it was. Nor am I sticking up for anyone on here...those that feel you are referring to them can stick up for themselves.
That post was part of an ongoing discussion and wasn't gratuitously insulting. Those coming out to rural Alaska to play law enforcement officers have a right to know something about what they're walking into. This is, after all, a relocation board. It isn't quite comparable to slamming into someone just because their finger slipped or whatever and they posted here by mistake. It also isn't comparable to some of your posts to one of the latest crop of trolls, either. It isn't even comparable to some of the testosterone infused discussions that we get blessed with from time to time. Perhaps there are nuances involved that you aren't getting but I know that I speak for quite a few people here who are tired of one person in particular zeroing in on new people who make innocent posts. This board wouldn't even exist if they didn't have their questions and as long as they don't come around acting like idjits wondering how long it takes to get the PDF or where they can land themselves one of those jobs where they'll be featured on Deadliest Catch, I don't see the point in jumping all over them.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
That post was part of an ongoing discussion and wasn't gratuitously insulting. Those coming out to rural Alaska to play law enforcement officers have a right to know something about what they're walking into. This is, after all, a relocation board. It isn't quite comparable to slamming into someone just because their finger slipped or whatever and they posted here by mistake. It also isn't comparable to some of your posts to one of the latest crop of trolls, either. It isn't even comparable to some of the testosterone infused discussions that we get blessed with from time to time. Perhaps there are nuances involved that you aren't getting but I know that I speak for quite a few people here who are tired of one person in particular zeroing in on new people who make innocent posts. This board wouldn't even exist if they didn't have their questions and as long as they don't come around acting like idjits wondering how long it takes to get the PDF or where they can land themselves one of those jobs where they'll be featured on Deadliest Catch, I don't see the point in jumping all over them.

None-the-less as I said that particular post I referenced "was" deleted. I've noted "your" posts to the crop of trolls also, which is a totally different thing. I've never jumped on anyone coming in asking sensible questions but not going to get into a tizzy either because someone posted something that others didn't like. The mods are the only ones who have the real control here.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I'm hardly in a "tizzy", Pat; just letting the new people know that we aren't all going to jump on them like a mangy pack of jackals simply for asking an innocent question.

About my post that was deleted; I'd hardly noticed that and it is rather a shame that some people can't handle the truth. It contained no personal attacks whatsoever, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska