Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times

Advertisements

AlCan Winter Road Trip

And this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife252002 View Post
My husband is Army. We were thinking about shipping one vehicle and drivving the 2nd. We just were unsure of weather/ road conditions during this time of year. Thanks so much for all info. provided. All I know before we leave will help to make this a bit smoother.
Almost all the Alcan is paved in one sort or another. In March, you won't have any real issues other than it will start getting cold again once you get North of Dawson Creek.

Just make sure you have good snowtires and the car is in good condition. The really subzero cold should be fading fast, but it can get cold still so make sure you are wearing or take warm winter clothes...

Get a copy of the Milepost before you go and you will need lots of film or a digital camera with a big memory card and batteries...

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

Old 11-13-2008, 04:35 PM

47 posts, read 200,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Almost all the Alcan is paved in one sort or another. In March, you won't have any real issues other than it will start getting cold again once you get North of Dawson Creek.

Just make sure you have good snowtires and the car is in good condition. The really subzero cold should be fading fast, but it can get cold still so make sure you are wearing or take warm winter clothes...

Get a copy of the Milepost before you go and you will need lots of film or a digital camera with a big memory card and batteries...

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home
When we went in August/September 2004, we ran through 400 roles of film in 4 weeks and it cost us more than $1100 to develop when we got back to Phoenix . We could have bought a very nice digital camera for that (which we have since done - thank God!).

As for the road......don't listen to the horror stories ....the Canadian part is especially really nice because they've been working on it a lot and the Alaskan part is pretty darn good, unless your standards are stupidly high (like all new pavement, all the time).

We drove 10,000+ miles in 4 weeks and we seldom came across anything terrible; even the Haul Road (a.k.a. the Dalton Hwy) was pretty decent, but I wouldn't do it in March, myself.

Best journey to you!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoWhere View Post
When we went in August/September 2004, we ran through 400 roles of film in 4 weeks and it cost us more than $1100 to develop when we got back to Phoenix
Film? What's that?

Isn't that the stuff you put over your food to keep it fresh?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 PM

391 posts, read 1,029,693 times
Funny Moose. And AZ, pretty cool...in a 90s sort of way

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 15,139 times
Default Alcan Hwy

I've driven back and forth now in both early spring and late fall and the roads were just fine. A few snow flurries but no worries. If you're able, pick up a copy of the Milepost. You may find it in a Barnes and Noble if you go through Washington State. I found it to be a generous and helpful piece of information with much information on when to look out for critters and certain lovely "look at that"s. Good to be prepared with some water, food if you don't want to stop and pay, warm boots, your coats, gloves and hats. I found it wise to fill up my tank at just about every town once you're out of the bigger cities. It's a lovely drive. Watch for Shepherds Rest, they have delicious soup and fresh bread. Have fun. See you there as I'll follow end of April. PS drove it myself without issue.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM

31 posts, read 85,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife252002 View Post
We are moving from GA. Should be headed that way around the 1st to the 2nd week of March. Thanks replying.....

Why would you be happy about coming back here?? I am so ready to leave this frozen tundra hell...in March i am outta here al can here I come! Florida here I come! Good luck to you..oh by the way I rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath with den and hot tub on 1/2 acre in nice area of Wasilla rent is $1800 I can give you the name of the landlord...lots of military families in this area. and she takes animals. 2 car garage...

Old 02-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterlu88 View Post
Why would you be happy about coming back here?? I am so ready to leave this frozen tundra hell...in March i am outta here al can here I come! Florida here I come! Good luck to you..oh by the way I rent a 3 bedroom 2 bath with den and hot tub on 1/2 acre in nice area of Wasilla rent is $1800 I can give you the name of the landlord...lots of military families in this area. and she takes animals. 2 car garage...
Old thread.....

Old 02-02-2010, 12:36 AM

Oh, Good Riddance!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner. A must have guide to the drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska