Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:11 PM

6 posts, read 24,758 times

Advertisements

I have typed in every combo I can think of trying to find out on the internet and nothing soooooo....... Has anyone ever traveled (the east way) Montana to Anchorage with pets. We have two cats and one small dog and need to know how easy or difficult it is to find lodging for the drive in march 2009. Also because of not being able to find any info anywhere on this topic i promise to share all of our knowledge we recieve in April after we get there so that hopefully no animal lover in the future will have difficulty with this same problem. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE -A-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 PM

71 posts, read 169,325 times
Buy a Milepost and plan out your trip. When you figure out where your stops are then start calling hotels and asking. That is the easiest and most sure way of knowing.

I am going to be driving the Alcan in March as well. I am not sure if I am taking my dogs or not.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
I've done the Alcan 13 times but with no pets. You can go here.

Pet-Friendly Hotels, Lodging/Accommodations, and Vacation Rentals in Canada

Like Mwachel said, buy the Milepost.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 24,758 times
I have a copy of the milepost (just got it tho have not quite figured out exactly how to read it yet) but I still want to know about pet travel from someone that has done it .Thanks!!!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:32 PM

218 posts, read 518,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post
(just got it tho have not quite figured out exactly how to read it yet)
Left to right, top to bottom. That should get you started! Sorry, can't help with the pet thing though.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:38 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,732,927 times
hey hey hey... be nice Quakinator....the guidepost is a little funky at first to anyone. ya flip back and forth...someone else just recently posted how to read it...if someone with much more experience on the forum would be so kind as to direct to this post...much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM

218 posts, read 518,425 times
hopefully she can sense my jokingly playful tone in the post! It was just too good to pass up. BTW I like your name, my sister is named Amelia and you can be sure her nickname growing up was Ameliabedelia.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:17 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,540,454 times
If you have a membership with AAA, another source to check are their tour books. They'll have hotel information that indicates which hotels accept pets. I haven't traveled the route you intend, but I have taken the western route and had no trouble finding places that allowed pets. For instance, Super 8 allowed pets on the first floor rooms. Also, AAA is good insurance since the tow service will take your vehicle to the nearest town if you break down, even if it's 100 miles.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:26 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,364,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwachel View Post
Buy a Milepost and plan out your trip. When you figure out where your stops are then start calling hotels and asking. That is the easiest and most sure way of knowing.

I am going to be driving the Alcan in March as well. I am not sure if I am taking my dogs or not.

Ditto that - figure out your "stops" each day and all the businesses are listed in the book. Call ahead and make sure they're OPEN, truly! Many a future-Alaskan has found themselves in Canada with no food due to "closed" signs everywhere. Call ahead, ask about pet policy. Best to do all that foot-work up front. Then you can relax and enjoy the trip. It can also be hard to call when you're on the road.........might have no cell signal once underway up there.
Dawn

Old 01-27-2009, 12:36 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
Been up and down a bunch of times with cats and dogs, didn't have any problems with the pets, most places do charge a deposit/charge of about ten bucks to fourty depending on what you have and where you are at.

The Milepost is the best guide for drivng the AlCan. You can order it online at the book stores and such.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner - Home

Oh wait, there was this one time when my Britney ran off into the woods and treed a blackbear by Laird Hot Springs... But that really wasn't my pet's problem though... it was a "Bear" issue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska