Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,524 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, FYI whatever you do don't bring pistols. 0 none. best way to get them here is take them on a plane with you or break them down into parts and pieces and ship them through FedEx. Canada does not allow pistols coming across the border. Also you will have to fill out a form for you rifles, measure the barrel, log the serial #, caliber etc. and pay a $25 to have them registered. They send in those serial numbers to check for ??? You have to wait a few minutes for this process. They don't like assault type weapons either so break those down and ship separately.

Last edited by AKfishing; 04-13-2015 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Add more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,517,187 times
(Not nit picking as old threads should be updated from time to tome, but I am assuming after 6 1/2 years they figured it out)

But so that someone else stumbling on this thread knows. You also forgot that you MUST declare them to US Customs PRIOR to crossing the border. They write down the serial numbers and then when you enter back into the US you had the form back in... This way they know you are not importing new firearms. This is free for US Citizens from US Customs...

I like the flying way. I had enough stuff that in and of itself was worth the cost of the plane ticket, even though I had more reasons. You can SHIP by air freight too without purchasing a ticket. Alaska Airlines does this.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 AM

300 posts, read 329,197 times
Geez, I'd seriously think about doing it via sea. That route from Seattle to AK sounds about right.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:59 PM

20 posts, read 23,829 times
I just got into Homer Via the ALCAN. Come across the border at Del Bonita Albert. I came across with 5 bolt action rifles, one semi shot gun and an AR barrel. Those guys at the crossing where very through but fair. I had the papaer work all filled out so that helped. The took the rifles out inspected that they were locked, I had the bolts removed and stored in another container, and showed them to him. They found a 13 round Glock magazine in my holster I forgot, and I hat to "forfeit it to The Crown." He said since I was not trying to hide in they wouldn't going to give me the $500 ticket, that they would have given me at the Sweetwater crossing. They asked about 15 times if I had any pistols.He asked how much ammo, and he said "You have shot gun ammo too?" I said yes, not thinking that I had pistol ammo as well. He never asked if I had pistol ammo but it was awkward because I think he assumed I didn't. I had 4778 rounds, as you can import 5000 without and explosives permit. However you can only import 200 duty free for use in Canada. As we were talking in transit to Alaska is a grey area in Canadian law. They did want to see the AR barrel to verify it did not have the lower. He did say several times they he was going to go through my ammo as I had too much, but by the time they double check the serial numbers on the rifle, run the serials for stolens, and got the magazine paperwork done, he had forgotten about the ammo or just let me go. If you have to take them ammo rifles across the border but its going to be a hassle, just have your stuff together. They are very thorough and it took about two hours, but those guys at that crossing were very good and understanding.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,045 times
Default here's how we did it

our movers brought 5000 rounds and our guns and our gun safe by truck without difficulty.
Allison's moved us up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska