Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times

Advertisements

This is a very interesting article about a Japanese guy who hiked through Fairbanks a few weeks ago. Keep in mind that quite a few people hike across Alaska every now and then, while others bicycle, and bike across, too.
newsminer.com • Hiker reported missing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,520 times
Why the hell would he hike when its -20-60 below in that area?? I mean if he did the trip in the spring or summer then I wouldn't quickly assume he is dead, as sad as that is. To do something so irresponsible at this time of year is crazy...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:45 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Why the hell would he hike when its -20-60 below in that area?? I mean if he did the trip in the spring or summer then I wouldn't quickly assume he is dead, as sad as that is. To do something so irresponsible at this time of year is crazy...
Go back and read the article more carefully. He's been hiking for some time...

People jump to far too many conclusions about such things. A few years ago, here in Barrow during a storm with high winds someone driving on a road south of town spotted a guy walking across the tundra about 3-4 miles from town. (Keep in mind that here a distance of 3-4 miles is often darn near as far as the other side of the moon when it comes to safety.) So they assumed that this person was in trouble (for example, from a broken down snowmachine), and called Search and Rescue. A fullscale response was initiated and a helicopter was launched to find the victim. The found him, and proceeded to crash the chopper while trying to land. Nobody was injured, but the aircraft was a total disaster.

This "victim" was somewhat astonished, told them to buzz off and leave him alone! He was out for a recreational hike, enjoying himself, and not only didn't need to be rescued but also didn't want to be bothered either! (Check out the price of a Bell 206 helicopter...)

And also, do realize that people in Alaska have been and will continue to work outside and travel, even at -60F, not just for decades, but for thousands of years. It is just one of the several reasons that our death rate from accidents is very high. Our location and our way of life is an adventure... which makes it "dangerous" too.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,520 times
Yeah I saw it was like 2 weeks ago but I still don't expect a good outcome. Not trying to jump to conclusions. A 3-4 mile hike is a bit less than a hike from Canada to Prudhoe Bay as well though.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,250,164 times
hmm, natures way or weeding out the ...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Yeah I saw it was like 2 weeks ago but I still don't expect a good outcome. Not trying to jump to conclusions. A 3-4 mile hike is a bit less than a hike from Canada to Prudhoe Bay as well though.
The point is that he started his hike quite some time ago. He didn't "go out hiking when it was...", he was on a long term trek when the weather became what it is.

It isn't like what he's doing is anything unusual. People have been trekking, for one reason or another, around Alaska in the winter since humans have been here. Perhaps people who live in cities don't do that much, but in Alaska it is common.

As far as the 3-4 mile hike... what I said was that he was 3-4 miles from town at the time. He was probably going to hike over to Wainwright, 90+ miles away... (And as I noted, 3-4 miles here can virtually be the other side of the moon in terms of access to a "safer" place.)

Old 01-03-2009, 11:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,717,413 times
Default Proving Something?

I guess, when we are younger or even middle age and even older, we are trying to prove something to ourselves. This Asian man probably felt a need for self esteem where we all believe he is crazy. Think of all the people who have tried climbing Mt Mckinley or Everest. Then recently,there was this guy who was rescued just short of the West Coast who attempt to row across the Pacific in a what he loosely called a rowboat. Were they all crazy or idiotic? This guy knew the risk. I don't believe fame or fortune was in his mind when he started. I personally know of a guy who wants to move from sunny? So Cal to Alaska. All his friend call him nuts. I guess it is a matter of degree.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 AM

351 posts, read 686,347 times
Ok, I definitely have something to say here.

Floyd, I almost completely agree with you.

Big BUT.

I do think it is a bit irresponsible in cases like the Barrow story for someone to do this without informing the proper people what they are going to do.
In the case of the hiker around Barrow - I don't know that whole story, but I think he should have informed the authorities that he would be out there. To risk the lives of others because you want to do something is irresponsible and selfish. If the authorities had known he was hiking, I don't think they would have tried to land. They probably would still check it out because they have to verify the report. Remember someone called the police because I was lying in the snow waiting for the aurora. And I wasn't lying still. I was moving my hands and head to sheild my eyes from the lights and looking around the sky for the aurora. I felt bad they got the call and had to come out.

In a case of such a hike, 90+ miles in the environment of the North Slope he should also have had a radio to contact the authorities to let them know he was OK. The people in search and rescue have made a personal commitment to what they are doing - to ignore that is not acceptable.
I know sometimes the authorities will prohibit such activity because they deem it unsafe - usually because they believe the person is not really prepared or capable.

Take a look at the restrictions and requirements from BASC on their members. Yes it is for your personal safety, but it is also to minimize the risk to others. (ignore any possible liability issues with BASC please)

When I go hiking I let someone know, they know where I will be, and when I expect to be back. I will check in when done to give the all clear.
They also know my abilities and have the good sense to know, just cause I'm late doesn't mean a problem. I accept the risk if something should happen.

I get annoyed when I read of hikers who shouldn't be hiking where they are due to inexperience, lack of ability, or plain ignorance. Then search and rescue is called and sometimes there are problems.

Eventually I would like to do a winter artic hike, but I know that is years away if ever. There is too much for me to learn to even think of it. If and when I do this, I will let people know, will have the proper training, experience, gear etc. But I will let the authorities know. I will have a radio etc.

I believe in letting one have their freedom even if it kills them. But to endanger others - big no, no.

I know enough people involved in S&R type jobs to ever want to be the reason why their kids won't see Mommy or Daddy again.

You have the right to take yourself out, but not to take me out.
That goes for any kind of stunt.

When I told my friends I was moving to Alaska, giving up all that I knew and had to live in a harsher environment for my own various reasons he said I had Balls. I think he actually meant I'm crazy. As you know I've had a number of close calls. This is a man who is 63 has experienced dangerous situations and understands the point of being responsible.
He would never attempt to stop me from doing anything, but will provide the heads up warnings if he thought I wasn't capable for whatever reason.

There are a lot of people like myself - I know quite a number. Some are now dead, some will die, some will live. Some with more balls, some with less, some with intelligence, some without, some who just want to prove something. Some who just want the adventure.

Charles Augustus Lindbergh
"What kind of man would live a life without daring? Is life so sweet that we should criticize men that seek adventure? Is there a better way to die?"

Brian

Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
Had it not been for many adventurous wanderers...most of us wouldn't be where we are today.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:41 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
People do such things up here, specially Japanese. However, I don't remember anybody hiking so late in the season. People were pulling and wishing good luck to him. Hopefully he just got a ride somewhere instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska