Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 AM

7 posts, read 19,902 times

Advertisements

i am a student in college right now but i want to take some time off and earn some money and see some new stuff. a friend of mine works on a fishing boat and he does fish processing so i kind of want to do something like that. where in alaska would yall suggest that i try and reside in for fishing, good bars, and not too far north. like maybe if there was some fishing thats done in SE AK or on the kenai peninsula. thanks just let me know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Ketchikan or Homer are in the forefront of my mind.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM

see i was really thinking homer. i also play rugby so i want to continue that if i can during my time in alaska so i am hoping someone would have information on that.

i really cant wait to go. i just hope i escape before i get to chicken to leave my family, friends, college and girlfriend to do it.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
More fish processing jobs are in Ketchikan than anywhere else in the state. I've seen more college kids showing up the past two years to take these jobs. Used to be a lot Filipinos and illegal aliens.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Ketchikan High has a rugby team so I'd think that there are plenty of informal games around town. UA Ketchikan also has a rugby team.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:53 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatDane View Post
see i was really thinking homer. i also play rugby so i want to continue that if i can during my time in alaska so i am hoping someone would have information on that.

i really cant wait to go. i just hope i escape before i get to chicken to leave my family, friends, college and girlfriend to do it.
Word to the wise; I have recently been scoping out deckhand jobs too, so I have some info that might be useful. (I am gainfully employed full time but I have been thinking about going back to seasonal employment and work the other part of the year on a fishing boat--lifestyle choice). My friends are commercial fishermen and I asked them a couple weeks ago about my options. Here are some things they had to say.

Apparently, it is not simply as easy as walking the docks to find a job. In Ketchikan, there may be deckhand spots open, but a lot of guys develop lots of connections. They are VERY leery to hire college kids--MORE leery than hiring Filipinos or other foreigners, usually, because the work ethic is different (in most cases, favors the Filipinos). College kids have nothing to lose if the job doesn't work out; they can ship home to mom and dad (that's what the skippers usually are thinking).

So, if you can find some kind of connection to a fishing boat BEFORE you come, it's much better. Otherwise, sit in a bar in Ketch for a while and you may be able to make a connection. But don't bank on being snapped up by a boat right away. You will very likely have to start at the absolute bottom; working on a tender/fish processing first. That's what I've been told I should do, so that when a skipper asks me "what experience do you have"-- I can at least say, "I've worked on a tender; I can tie goeduck bags" or whatever. Even if you can tell all the salmon species apart at a glance, and can demonstrate that skill, it's a big leg up.

DO NOT LEAVE COLLEGE MID-STREAM TO TRY THIS. My brother, who is now 30, is finding out that what we told him back in 1997 was for real; all the jobs he's now trying to apply for require at least a Bachelor's Degree. In today's economy and outlook, achieving a degree is even more crucial for your future. Because of the fact I pressed on and did my 4 years right after high school, I have a very secure gov't job, with all the benefits/insurance, in a very uncertain, chaotic time. My brother is still delivering pizzas and searching for real employment (and he has a 2-year degree).

After college....as far as the adventure/experience--GO FOR IT--even if what you have is hard to leave behind. At your age and place in life, you gotta take advantage of every adventurous opportunity you get. So good luck making it happen. Then you'll always have that degree!!

I'm almost 32 now, but I'm still adventuring, and don't regret a minute of it, even though I've said goodbye to family, friends, and romantic interests, too, in the quest of another lifestyle. I'm still making memories to look back on and that's huge.

Whew, long-winded-- I have good intentions! Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Apply here:

NSI Product Forms - Smoked Seafoods (http://www.norquest.com/EmpHome.htm - broken link)

Alaska General Seafoods - Ketchikan Employment (http://www.akgen.com/workktn.htm - broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM

thats good to know. i have been told by a buddy of mine up there that getting a fish processing job isnt too hard and still pays good. since he has done that he got some connections like you said and now he is going to be in dutch harbor before too long goin out on a boat for the first time. part of it is that i need to do this to finish college. i am out of money and my dad hasnt had a job in a while. i want to be able to pay for my next year in college without taking too much time off of school and i believe alaska is the place where an ambitious hard working person can make a buck or two real quick.
from what i have read so far being a deckhand on a salmon boat is the way to go for someone in my position.
Ketchikan sounds like it might be the place i need to go. i heard processing jobs pay really well too.
i geuss ill just keep researching and preparing and hopefully this summer i will be seeing fish guts and cold water.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:34 PM

thanks a lot for the info yall and thanks for those links... haha its cool to see that these jobs are actually real and arent the stuff of fairy tales

Old 12-30-2008, 01:52 PM

I know quite a few college kids that come to Ketchikan and make bank each summer. Some of the better paying jobs are in the tourism industry. You've got to find a tour guide type position that makes "tips". The fish processing jobs are good but you spend a lot of hours on your feet.

I suspect that with the economy tanking this year competition will be stiff for these jobs. Now would be a good time to start applying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska