Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 11:51 PM

244 posts, read 486,185 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
recently read a book written by a guy who did salmon fishing out of Egegik called Red Summer by Bill Carter. I liked the book and the authors candid comments about life there. There was a lot there that "locals" might want to give their views on though.

Have any here read this book? if so any thoughts on it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:56 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
Hey all,
recently read a book written by a guy who did salmon fishing out of Egegik called Red Summer by Bill Carter. I liked the book and the authors candid comments about life there. There was a lot there that "locals" might want to give their views on though.

Have any here read this book? if so any thoughts on it
Never heard of the book, but what kind of comments were you refering to?

Old 01-10-2009, 01:25 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
I fished on a beach site north of there for a number of years. Up the Kvichak River north of the Naknek River. It was pretty cool wandering through the old abandon canneries and seeing many bears. Had some rough times fighting with the drifters tho. Lot's of shotgun and machette's involved. Not to mention cuss words.
Living in a canvas tent for a month and a half had it's up's and downs as well. Picking nets for 3 days and nights straight, 10 million salmon coming in all at once, fingers cramped from picking fish, cold, wet, miserable...oh yeah...good times!

At least we had a tent and a cook stove onshore. Back in the day it was 2 guys to a sail boat and cooking on a Swede stove, living under a tarp, and maybe staying out on the water for a week or two at a time. I've never read this book you speak of. But it might be something to consider.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:16 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
I fished for about 10 years in Egegik. I lived in town and fished with a local. We drifted in a 25 foot skiff with a 50hp outboard for about 4 years until we had a good enough season for him to buy a larger boat. It was just he and I on the boat every summer. Hard work, but a lot of memories.

I know the town and the fishery, I'll look for the book.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:40 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
The power plant in Egegik is a nightmare. Sent a guy out there, he took one look, about 30 pictures, called the boss. Boss looked at the pics and said, "GET OUT!!!"

Old 01-19-2011, 01:03 PM

110 posts, read 376,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I fished on a beach site north of there for a number of years. Up the Kvichak River north of the Naknek River. It was pretty cool wandering through the old abandon canneries and seeing many bears. Had some rough times fighting with the drifters tho. Lot's of shotgun and machette's involved. Not to mention cuss words.
Living in a canvas tent for a month and a half had it's up's and downs as well. Picking nets for 3 days and nights straight, 10 million salmon coming in all at once, fingers cramped from picking fish, cold, wet, miserable...oh yeah...good times!

At least we had a tent and a cook stove onshore. Back in the day it was 2 guys to a sail boat and cooking on a Swede stove, living under a tarp, and maybe staying out on the water for a week or two at a time. I've never read this book you speak of. But it might be something to consider.
Your post takes me right back to Bill Carter's book. I like to read books about Alaska during the winter, especially just after just coming in from shoveling snow myself, and I'm inside, warm, and snuggled up.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,721 times
I haven't read the book but am slowly working my way through a lengthy list of Alaska writers. Thank you for the heads up, I will try to locate a copy.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:13 PM

437 posts, read 816,110 times
This sounds like a good book so I just bought a copy! Glad I read this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska