Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 PM

351 posts, read 685,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Tools are NOT to be sold!!! The Great and Powerful Oz has Spoken!!!

Are you out of your ever-lovin' mind??? Tools are a man's paradise. Jenny can go to Sears as long as she leaves me in the tool section. And DON'T get me started on AIH (Alaska Industrial Hardware). I know that the guy from Snap-On who stops by the shop once a week thinks I'm putting his kids through college someday, but I salivate like Pavlov's doggy when the Snap-On truck is a-coming down the street ('cause there might be somethin' spethial jutht for me!!!).

Don't sell the tools to strangers. They'll just whine and cry in the stranger's garage, pining away for their lost master. Lying there, lonely, unwanted in a dark drawer.

Friends, neighbors, countrymen (and women!), Send me your unwanted tools yearning to breathe this free Alaska air. I hold up the torch beside my well-lit bench, and say "Welcome, children, all are welcome! Come into the light. Yes, come into the light!"

Mal,

Here, Here, on your glorious speech. I actually sold very little of my precious tools. Most were given away to trusted friends and relatives. I would rather give them away and know they will be treated with the respect they deserve and not left to rust in a shop or worse left to rust in the rain they represent too much a part of me to trust with mere strangers.

I could have really used my rotozip w/diamond wheel this morning.
On the bright side, NAPA had a claw hammer - it was only 8 oz but it is better than nothing. Now I have a light weight "persuader". Still need a punch though.

Just looking to replace the basics: wrenches (lots and lots), screwdrivers (never have enough), ratchet sets, vice, drills (battery and ac), bit sets (need several), hand saws (all types), sliding compound miter saw, table saw, circular saw (15 amp, magnesiam body), trim saw, saw blades up the ying-yang, clamps (small clamps, big clamps, pipe clamps, quick clamps, c-clamps), nail sets, punches, nail pullers, pry bars - assorted (they do break you know), pliers, more pliers, wire cutters, more hammers (all weights and types), compressor(s), nail gun(s), vice grips (assorted sizes), DVM, clamp on meter, lubricants, all types of glue, adhesive remover, tool bags, tool boxes, tool chests, shop vac, shop to hold it all.

Left out so much more of the basics.
Then later: drill press, radial arm saw, torch(s), work benches.

I miss my tool kids.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 PM

351 posts, read 685,804 times
I forgot: sabre saw, reciprocating saw (battery and ac).

Just the essentials.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times
Mal you are just way too funny!! Have to pretend I rep'd ya twice for making me laugh so hard out loud and scare the bejesus out of "the boys", since the stupid rep police won't allow it again

Old 01-24-2009, 10:09 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
A man after my own heart (if not my tools). THAT's what I'm talking about. Trading first-borns for the Mac-Tools rolling chest, impact sockets lined up like the little soldiers that they are. Screwdrivers, torx sets and T-handle allens ready to hand. Rip, claw, dead blow, ball peens, and that darling little firring hammer that just begged me to take it away from all that at Home Depot - yeah, honey, who's your daddy, now? Crow's foot wrenches, combination wrenches, those nifty ratchet wrenches that make tearing into an engine such a joy. Torque wrenches in inch/pounds and foot/pounds nestled snugly together. Die grinder and Dremel kit cozying up to the engraver. By the way, how do you engrave your intitials into the engraver? With the Dremel, of course!

I could wax poetic, but it might be a bit over the top. I don't really think tools are a matter of life and death.

They're much more important than that.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:58 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
I believe Mal has disclosed his weakness..."yeah, honey, who's your daddy now?"!!?!?!?!

I am fond of my wee collection of tools...a lass can never have too many

If you have any old (and I mean antiquated) bottles (liquour, Clorox, et al) I'd be happy to store them with the rest of my collection

Old 01-24-2009, 10:59 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,100,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Mal you are just way too funny!! Have to pretend I rep'd ya twice for making me laugh so hard out loud and scare the bejesus out of "the boys", since the stupid rep police won't allow it again
I took care of that I am still chuckling

Old 01-24-2009, 11:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Confidentially, I found an old wooden handled monkey wrench that was rusted solid a couple of years ago. I drowned it in a bucket of CLP, and left it for 3 days. I took it out and with dental picks removed most of the rust in the gears, took it apart and with a jeweler's tumbler at the rock shop let it ride in rouge for about 2 hours. I took it out, oiled the bejezus out of that thing and put the handle back on. It still has some nasty pits, but she works great and it's a pretty addition to the toolbox.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:16 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Yes, put in front or box #1....women unite....only good tools rule...

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
I forgot: sabre saw, reciprocating saw (battery and ac).

Just the essentials.
Bwah hah has from the woman's point of view....duh......that's what he told me, and now what is packed in that box.....

Old 01-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
A man after my own heart (if not my tools). THAT's what I'm talking about. Trading first-borns for the Mac-Tools rolling chest, impact sockets lined up like the little soldiers that they are. Screwdrivers, torx sets and T-handle allens ready to hand. Rip, claw, dead blow, ball peens, and that darling little firring hammer that just begged me to take it away from all that at Home Depot - yeah, honey, who's your daddy, now? Crow's foot wrenches, combination wrenches, those nifty ratchet wrenches that make tearing into an engine such a joy. Torque wrenches in inch/pounds and foot/pounds nestled snugly together. Die grinder and Dremel kit cozying up to the engraver. By the way, how do you engrave your intitials into the engraver? With the Dremel, of course!

I could wax poetic, but it might be a bit over the top. I don't really think tools are a matter of life and death.

They're much more important than that.
yah right, wah wah.....I have my dremel under my sink in the woman tool box....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: