Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:37 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,438,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Didn't you see the Simpsons movie? They hand out wads of cash at the border...
LOL..Well dang, I must have missed them all the times I've crossed the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Maybe it's me, but why in the world would anyone move anywhere (especially Alaska) without having employment unless they have a large reserve of money??
People romantize in tough times and Alaska's been in the press quite a bit during the past few months.

I agree about the money/employment. I suppose it's easy enough for a single person to do all right without much of either but for people with families to consider it's just stupid. We saw a lot of it in SE during the last recession...I think SE gets it more than the rest of the state because it's easier and less expensive to get to. Christ, they used to pour off the ferry.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Tried to rep ya Glitch but I must spread the love first. Great post...definitly have a back up plan.

As most know we moved up here last summer, only after we had lined up a job and a house. Fortunatly all worked out for a while and even tho it was tough we got by fairly well. We were smart compared to some other as we did have a small nest egg of $10,000 but when hubby got hurt at work and laid off, you can blow through that up here rather fast. Hubby is working again (thank the Lord) but he hates his job...I guess in the construction trade this time of year he is lucky to even have one. If he could find a better one we would be much happier about being here as it's been a bit depressing here lately. Hopefully when Spring shows up things will improve.

We never would have moved up here with our 6 kids and all of our animals if we hadn't lined up work and housing first and had a savings. Cause **** happens and you have to plan for it.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:56 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,107,482 times
Yes...we moved here because the husband's promotion was contingent on us actually living here. Fine and well...'promotion' sounds good, but he checked everything out beforehand in case it was one of those 'sounds too good to be true' offers. Before I came up last April to search for a home to purchase, we sat down and budgeted out what we could afford and factored in even the most extreme cost of living figures and we stuck to that budget when we purchased a home. That is another factor that can be figured in: Have a job/means before arriving here, have a back-up plan, and if it is decided that one can live here, stay within those means. We have all manner of things we wish to acquire because of our interests and are able to slowly gain this by taking our time, insuring the funds are there and/or all remains within that budget. Especially with the inflow of lay-offs, etc, it is better to be cautious than to throw all sanity to the wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska