Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news from Anchorage last winter 07-08, about a body shop in Anchorage that hired from the -48 in the winter, so at least there is winter work and probably all the OT you want, summer?? not so sure..., and your wife will be fine, not to worry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 06:31 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr & Mrs C View Post
I am only worried about my wife who is from the Phillipines but I think she will be alright.
I've met and worked with a lot people from the Phillipines that are living in Alaska. For the most part they seem to do just fine. We have a pretty large and active Filipino community here in Ketchikan. I would imagine that Anchorage is the same.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:13 PM

71 posts, read 262,666 times
Okay, I am ready!!! I have been saving money, I have a renter for my house, sold one car and prepared to store or ship the other car. I sold my big tool box and we are ready. I have been waiting all year for this. My wife is very excited so is my daughter and we have had another in Feb. I am leaving in about a month. I am going up first and after I am a little established my wife and daughters will follow. I am very excited!! I just want the locals to know that your vehicles will be in good hands in case you are in a wreck!!! See you soon!!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Okay, I am ready!!! I have been saving money, I have a renter for my house, sold one car and prepared to store or ship the other car. I sold my big tool box and we are ready. I have been waiting all year for this. My wife is very excited so is my daughter and we have had another in Feb. I am leaving in about a month. I am going up first and after I am a little established my wife and daughters will follow. I am very excited!! I just want the locals to know that your vehicles will be in good hands in case you are in a wreck!!! See you soon!!!!
Congrats Mr. C. (and Mrs. C.) on the new little one!!! Did you find a job, or are you doing that when you get here? Best of luck!!!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
You will be welcome. It's construction season all summer and bumper cars all winter. Both are good for a body man.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:57 AM

I have been Emailing back and forth with one shop but we think it will be better to just go up there and apply in person. I feel I will have a better chance. Work in Md is so SLOW. I am used to doing about 10-20 cars a week. I am down this year to about 2-3 a week. I cant stay here any longer. We just have to talk our families into going there. They are both huge into the outdoors so I know once they see what Alaska has to offer they will be hooked!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 AM

319 posts, read 963,503 times
its the ice worms that get me.my mother in law is from the philapines. she does just fine.i had 20$ in my pocket when i got here. still looking for a store to spend it.my brother came up to visit in july once. ***** ***** ***** its to light out all the time whaaaaaa.was glad to see him leave . how ever it is a very long long winter for sure.some folks like winter. don't know whats wrong with um.there is a study on that. but it is with out a saying those dam ice worms. they get in your boots and bite your toes. i've never been anywhere with the smell of air so fresh u think your the first person to breath it.im not foolin. hmmm. i wonder how many people has breathed this same air......oh god never thought of that.......must hold breath........

Last edited by unconscious; 08-30-2009 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: i.....got....to....breath....god......noooooo.....

Old 08-30-2009, 03:59 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that? I am keeping my house in Maryland and renting it out just in case I have to come back. Thanks for the info by the way.
Why don't you first get a job in Anchorage, work at it for a few months to see if you can survive, and then move your family? You will encounter a few problems as follows:

1. More than likely you will have to take whichever job is available, which usually means that the pay won't be as good, since you will have to start from the beginning, and will compete with equally qualified local workers who already have the best jobs.

2. The cost of living in Alaska is a lot higher that where you are coming from. And yes, those charts about the cost of living you see on the Internet don't mean much. For example, in Alaska you have to do a lot of driving to reach the grocery store, supermarket, shopping center, going out for a drive during the weekend, and work. It means that the automobile will get a lot of wear, and you will have to spend a fortune on fuel each year. Things like that aren't explained by charts.

3. The darkness encountered during the long winter months drives some people mad. Not kidding. While a family member may love it up here, some other family members may easily fall into a state of depression. For example, a lot of military members who bring their families with them experience these things I am talking about, and a lot divorce. This is not the case with avery military or civilian family that comes to Alaska, but be prepared to have family members hating this place, and others loving it. In my individual case, military life was fine with my family and I. I met my wife back in the late '70s in Anchorage while stationed at Elmendorf. She loves it up here, and so our children and I. But through the years I have seen countless cases of families splitting because some of their spouses and children could not stand it.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 PM

I have been looking but it is better if I show up in person. If it was my shop, I would like it better if someone was standing in front of me than in an email or phone call.

1. The pay in Anchorage varies by a couple dollars per shop. The jobs are the same. I am very good at what I do and take a lot of pride in what I do. I am certified and have taken numerous classes. I understand I wont be the bosses buddy or "Go To man" when I start but all they need is a good body man.

2. We understand about the driving but we plan on staying in Anchorage and getting used to the area. I have always bought used cars and repair them to good running condition. I enjoy doing minor mechanical work in my spare time. I am always on the lookout for old used cars. I get maybe 4 or 5 a year. Buy, fix, and sell. I get tired or bored of driving the same car all the time.

3. The dark and cold are one of the reasons I want to live there. I hate summer, hot sun and humidity drive me crazy. My wife is prepared for it. She is prepared for it and she is never really outside anyways. She doesnt complain to much anyways. I dont think it will bother the kids to much as they are very young.

Thanks for the heads up but I am determined to make the move. It is the best thing for us and our kids. I have lived in Maryland long enough and we cant take it any longer. See you all soon and dont worry if you are in a fender bender this year dont worry. It may be repaired by the happiest auto body technician fron Maryland who isnt looking back!!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 07:24 PM

376 posts, read 832,219 times
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Anchorage have a fair amount of humidity??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska