Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:31 AM

182 posts, read 478,251 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of out of state hands coming up here and taking the jobs. I have applied to several jobs that I am more then qualified for only to be ousted because somebody knows somebody who knows somebody down in the lower 48 is good.

If it were somebody knows somebody in Wasilla, Bethel, Barrow, Fairbanks, Juneau Something in our great state it wouldn't bother me so much as it does.

I was going in to Brown Jug and a guy showed his Kansas ID and the lady at the Brown Jug asked what he was doing here. His quote "I got a great job on the slope. So I better drink while I can" She asked if he was planning to move here. His reply "Nope living is cheaper in Kansas I can easily afford the plane ticket. Have a good one!"

I applied at another common slope company and inside was a guy showing up to finalize paperwork. He didn't bring a document needed for his hiring... so he begged to have his wife fax it from Florida. They needed an original but said it would fly till she mailed it to him to show.

The last one could happen here as well. Forget it at your remote town. But come on.

That money is leaving our state and our businesses need that. We are lucky to have the tourism that brings funds in during the summer. But we need to focus more on our own culture. It isn't like we have people passing through our state stopping by while going to another state.

If we were booming like North Dakota and only had a 3% unemployment rate then I wouldn't have a reason to gripe.

We tend to avoid the recessions immediately for a while because we are separated from the national influence a bit.

I'm not saying the people from the lower 48 are bad, or are wrong in what they are doing. We all need to take care of our families however we can. But we Alaskans can't just drive to the next state for a job. They lose their job, they have the entire southern market with cities having higher populations and more chances of jobs. We have to work with what is here. It needs to be more enforced and recognition to companies who hire Alaskan.

End of my gripe. I had to vent to fellow Alaskans. Others wouldn't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 01:00 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,564,539 times
It's always been like that since the pipeline days and before!

All I can say is get out and meet more people that can help you out down the road!

Many of the slope workers claim to be residents of Alaska, file for the PFD and when you do their paperwork and ask for an emergency contact, it's their girlfriend/wife who lives down South.

They just have a P.O. Box in Anchorage someplace, or a buddy's house to get mail at. There is some seasonal fishermen that do the same thing.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,192 times
I completely understand your frustration, because my area has a HUGE problem with this same thing. But I must say, as a hopeful future Alaskan, the one problem with that line of thinking is this: if companies only hire Alaskan, how can a person ever become an Alaskan? I mean, I'm hoping to just get what I can get up there to get my foot in the door and start meeting people, but from what I've been told, Alaska is a huge state, but it's small too. As in, knowing folks is really important. So I'm setting out to meet as many people as I can from all different walks of life. You never know who might present you with a great lead or opportunity for a job. Plus friends are nice to have!

Hell, this message board has been useful for me in meeting some folks who already live up there. It's nice to be able to go visit a state you've never been to, where you don't know a soul, and have people on here offering to show you around their town. Really shows that Alaskans are people who want to help out any way they can. At least that's been my experience here.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 AM

182 posts, read 478,251 times
It doesn't bother me if somebody plans on moving here. They are willing to become Alaskan and assimilate. They're going to provide to our economy and eliminate the need for out of state people.

Like the Kansas guy, blatant no. Not even a thought of it.

I've made many contacts and many are in the same boat where we are battling coworkers from before who are from lower 48. Winter usually shows who can handle it as many go back south.

Yeah I had to take work down south for a period of time. My rotational 3 month job down in the lower 48 while I was living here, has the PFD folks at arms for me trying to not give it to me. It has been frustrating. I worked 3 months living hotel to hotel, to get my 2 weeks off and come home to Alaska. Then back for 6 more weeks. While 2 guys from Texas get the PFD no problem and have never lived in Alaska. THEY don't even have Alaska drivers licenses. I don't want to burn bridges so if I narc on them I'm only hurting myself.

I keep getting to know people. Right now if the stop on the drilling in the Gulf of Mexico would be lifted we would have an easier time since we have been overcrowded by these folks seeking work.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Did the guy from Kansas really say that he could afford the plane ticket? I've never had a rotation job o known anyone who has who had to buy their own tickets.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:27 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Did the guy from Kansas really say that he could afford the plane ticket? I've never had a rotation job o known anyone who has who had to buy their own tickets.
I don't know about the other comapnies, but for ours the point of departure for slopers is ANC or FAI. -48er's are responsible for paying their way up here.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:37 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I don't know about the other comapnies, but for ours the point of departure for slopers is ANC or FAI. -48er's are responsible for paying their way up here.
I've never worked on the slope, only at mines; they paid everything. Even gas money for driving to the airport. It's been a few years I wonder if that's changed.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:44 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,019,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theluvofgold View Post
I keep getting to know people. Right now if the stop on the drilling in the Gulf of Mexico would be lifted we would have an easier time since we have been overcrowded by these folks seeking work.
On the flip side, I also know of many people here who have packed up and left Alaska for North Dakota, Texas, or Oklahoma. I think a lot of what you are seeing is due to declining production and the effects of ACES. If things do turn around up there again it will no doubt get better on the jobs front.

BTW, what kind of work do you do?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
This article I posted last month pertains to this.....

Senate committee looks at North Slope out-of-state hiring: Oil | Alaska news at adn.com

Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
On the flip side, I also know of many people here who have packed up and left Alaska for North Dakota, Texas, or Oklahoma. I think a lot of what you are seeing is due to declining production and the effects of ACES. If things do turn around up there again it will no doubt get better on the jobs front.

BTW, what kind of work do you do?
I know of one person who left for Pensilvania!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska