Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM

5 posts, read 14,676 times

Advertisements

Hello...My family is moving to Anchorage in a few weeks and I am HORRIBLE with directions. So I was wondering how well GPS systems work around Anchorage, well I guess around AK in general? Also, is there one brand that works better than the others?

Thank You,

Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
Hello...My family is moving to Anchorage in a few weeks and I am HORRIBLE with directions. So I was wondering how well GPS systems work around Anchorage, well I guess around AK in general? Also, is there one brand that works better than the others?

Thank You,

Amanda
Yes they work very well, however, be sure you buy one that "includes" Alaska and Canada (if you are driving up through Canada). Not all GPS's have Alaska on them. Magellan is a brand we use and it has been great.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:55 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Anchorage is not a very big city (I am Fairbanks and have to been Anchorage dozens of times) relatively speaking. A map works pretty well. But if you want to use GPS, I am pretty sure it will work just fine. You won't be needing it to much for other cities/towns.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Anchorage is not a very big city (I am Fairbanks and have to been Anchorage dozens of times) relatively speaking. A map works pretty well. But if you want to use GPS, I am pretty sure it will work just fine. You won't be needing it to much for other cities/towns.
Actually it will come in very handy for a newbie not knowing their way. Many towns you can drive to from Anchorage; Seward, Talkeetna, etc. etc etc

Old 10-06-2009, 09:58 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,779,363 times
Anchorage is another thing, but about North Slope I was warned by gps map people...

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
I used the GPS in my phone the last time I was in Anchorage, it worked just fine.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,676 times
Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the info guys, I'm glad to know that it will work in AK. Now I just need to figure out which one to buy

Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Anchorage is another thing, but about North Slope I was warned by gps map people...
My Iphone GPS works just fine in Prudhoe Bay, shows all the roads if I use Google maps, and it shows the roads in topo map format.

If that works there, don't see too much issue with any of the GPS Brands.

Have a Garmin that I use on the snowmachine and in the Airplane and it is dead on. Downloaded the property points on my GPS from the State when I bought it, and in the winter put orange tape where I thought the stakes were at. The next summer, the farthest I was off was two feet... It was dead on again, and that was with an older unit that I had at the time in the 90's.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Yes

Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
I also use a Garmin, an older model. As others have said, GPS' are great for telling you where you are and where you have been very accurately. My old Garmin has a margin of error somewhere between 12 and 20 feet. It certainly beats using a compass because you do not have to continually adjust for magnetic north. My only issue is with the road maps they use. According to my GPS, when I drive across the Knik River bridge it shows me driving almost half mile out into the Knik Arm. It is not that the GPS is inaccurate, but rather the road maps used by the GPS.

Any GPS will accurately tell you the location of any town or village in Alaska, but actually getting there is another issue entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska