Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:37 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,748,793 times

Advertisements

akvarmit is going to be going shopping for new curtains, rugs and "stuff" for the new home. We ran around a little bit a couple of months ago looking for a cabin/rustic home decoration store in the Valley and Anchorage but didn't find one that had what we were looking for. We would like to find a store that carries items like this store: Cabin Decor, Rustic Bedding, Cabin Accessories and Rustic Lighting at Black Forest Decor

Does anyone know of a business in the Valley/Anchorage area that carries these types of items. I guess if there was a store in the Kenai that carried a large selection and was worth the trip we head down that way as well.

I have a feeling this is going to be a short thread. I just can't believe with the Alaska-Cabin-Outdoor expierience that someone somewhere doesn't carry this type of merchandise..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 12:01 PM

179 posts, read 594,791 times
The words "cabin" and "decor" don't really belong in the same sentence, IMHO.

Cabins are generally decorated with things that are found, either on the ground or at the transfer point.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWord View Post
The words "cabin" and "decor" don't really belong in the same sentence, IMHO.

Cabins are generally decorated with things that are found, either on the ground or at the transfer point.
LOL, You are exactly right.. Please forgive me, I have only been here for 7 months and have not been fully "converted" yet I am close, really close but just not there yet. Although, I did live through two weeks of -30 weather

Old 04-25-2009, 12:41 PM

179 posts, read 594,791 times
O.k., I just looked at that site.
There's no one place around here to find that sort of lodge decor, but all of the items are easily available from a few different sources.

There are several independent ironworkers that could provide your drawer pulls, etc.
Bailey's Furniture has a line of "rustic" furniture. Some of the exposed joinery looks interesting.
The knick-knacks, like old skis, etc. can be found at Play it Again Sports.
You could try Wal*Mikes (on the Parks Hwy) for other found items, like old goldpans, sluices, etc.
The Knotty Shop in Salcha turns out some kitsch made from Diamond Willow.
You might be able to find some crafty items when the summer Farmer's Markets open up too.

I hope that helps!

Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,121,949 times
Cabela's!

Cabela's Shop -- Home & Cabin Decor

Old 04-25-2009, 12:59 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I thought.. No stores and I appreciate the info!

Old 04-25-2009, 04:37 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
Now if you were in Gatlinburg, TN I could recommend some places. Have you tried Goodwill?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Now if you were in Gatlinburg, TN I could recommend some places. Have you tried Goodwill?
You really really really really need to move up here..

Old 04-25-2009, 04:50 PM

80 posts, read 251,095 times
There used to be a store like that in the downtown mall, but I don't know if it's there anymore -- such a high turnover of stores in any mall. Handmade furniture, really sturdy looking stuff. Functional, wooden, well-made, homey.

There were some second-hand furniture shops in Anchorage, and I wish I could remember the names of them. Seems like whenever you're not looking for something you need to buy, you can find it all over the place; but when you are, you can't.

Seems like Eagle River might be a good place to hunt. It's a very pretty drive, too.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 PM

471 posts, read 1,327,429 times
check craigslist or alaskaslist. I saw some guys on there that were making rustic and log furniture awhile back. Can't remember were but eagle river kinda rings a bell. Or maybe palmer? hmm. Know you got me wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska