Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 PM

24 posts, read 78,411 times

Advertisements

blueflames50 wrote:

gdkodiak....did you happen to ask about the fact that the CAFC 909 only goes up to 7 weapons to list?? Is 7 the limit?? or is there a way to bring more across?? Hubby has lot more than that and really would like to transport them with us. thanks
---------------------------------------------------------

I have 13 firearms and have been told that is fine as long as they are "in transit" to Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
blueflames50 wrote:

gdkodiak....did you happen to ask about the fact that the CAFC 909 only goes up to 7 weapons to list?? Is 7 the limit?? or is there a way to bring more across?? Hubby has lot more than that and really would like to transport them with us. thanks
---------------------------------------------------------

I have 13 firearms and have been told that is fine as long as they are "in transit" to Alaska.
ahhh...you mean you don't have to have them listed on a document??? We don't need to have the whole trailer unloaded and pulled apart just 'cuz of few guns.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:17 PM

Every firearm has to be listed on the forms. There is space for 3 firearms on CAFC 909 and each coninuation sheet (CAFC 910) has space for 4 firearms. Each firearm will be inspected by Border Services to verify serial numbers. Also, U.S. Customs may ask you for proof that you had the firearms in the U.S. before you went into Canada. One would think that the Canadian forms would suffice, but I contacted U.S. Customs and was told that the best practice was to complete CBP Form 4457 and have the form verified by U.S. Customs before you ever enter Canada to preclude any hassles when you return to the U.S.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 PM

I forgot to mention that the CBP Form 4457 would have the firearms, along w/ serial numbers entered. I was also told that it would be a good idea to have an inventory of any household goods that are being transported and in fact the Canadians indicate that they would like for you to have an inventory prepared in triplicate.

The reality of the situation is that as long as you have your documentation in order, are cooperative and have the items readily available for inspection, things will go smoothly.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Updated information.

I received an email from the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program this morning. It confirms the 5 shot magazine restriction (with the sole exception for the M-1 Garand which has a top fed 8 round magazine) for all centerfire semi-automatic long guns (includes both rifles and shotguns).

The email also states and is quoted: "This five shot restriction does not include pump, lever or bolt action firearms. It also does not include rimfire ammunition. Rimfire ammunition, for the most part, is more commonly known as 22 LR, 22 MAG and 17 HMR. There is no restriction on the number of shots a firearm can have in these three calibers."

Old 06-04-2009, 02:21 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,294 times
Default also note

The Canadian 909 form used to be good for a year, now I believe it's only 3 months, you will need to pay the fee and complete a new form basically every time you travel.

Also be advised that we are talking about long arms here, NOT pistols. They have a major problem with both pistols and pistol magazines. Do not make the mistake of bringing either of those to the border station.

BTW, they inflict an unusual amount of scrutiny on our law enforcement officers crossing the border. One of the officers here has his car turned inside out every time he crosses into Canada, they just assume that he's got a pistol stashed away somewhere, apparently.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 17,012 times
Hey, I was just wondering but would I have to go through the same trouble to get a hunting bow to Alaska as I would for a firearm or is it easier?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:44 PM

Default Went very smoothly

I crossed the border with 7 firearms including a shotgun that holds 8 rounds with absolutley no problem.

I also transported 4,500 rounds of ammunition, 18 pounds of smokeless powder and 7,000 primers. Again, no problems whatsoever. I declared every item and I did apply for and had an importation permit for the ammo, powder and primers that cost $30.00.

The Canadian Border Services personnel were very friendly and the whole process was painless.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:35 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkodiak View Post
I crossed the border with 7 firearms including a shotgun that holds 8 rounds with absolutley no problem.

I also transported 4,500 rounds of ammunition, 18 pounds of smokeless powder and 7,000 primers. Again, no problems whatsoever. I declared every item and I did apply for and had an importation permit for the ammo, powder and primers that cost $30.00.

The Canadian Border Services personnel were very friendly and the whole process was painless.
Where did you cross at and do you have a link or anything on the ammo permit??

Old 06-25-2009, 01:53 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,910 times
We just crossed and actually had more trouble coming back into the US. Going through Canada, we only had two rifles, lots of ammo, powder, primers, etc. The Canadians were super nice and polite, took our $25 and sent us on our way. The border coming back in was harder. We had to pull into the 'garage' and get questioned and such. Our stuff did not get searched though because I think they realized it might take all day. Anyway, no trouble at all, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska