Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,565,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I piloted craft for the Navy in Spec War for 8 years and never wanted to see another boat. 99% of the time, it was the sheer boredom part and the other 1%, I was either terrified or worried about the time coming.

Crabbing seems to me to be flipped around. 99% terror and 1% boredom. My boss is an old crab fisherman. His wrists and knees are shot. He was on 1 boat that sank, went overboard once, and made and lost bundles. He's a funny guy, but everything bad that happens to someone else is funny in the remove of time. I don't think I would ever survive some of the stuff he did. I would swear that it's all BS, except for the fact that other crabbers come by and see him from time to time.
Nope, about 85% of Crabbing is shear exhaustion, 10% bordom and 5% terror when the waves are breaking over the ship while you are trying to pick pots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 PM

8 posts, read 16,998 times
Quote:
As far as coming to Alaska for the hunting and fishing are concerned, it might be a reason, and even a valid reason. But, after summer and fall are over, you'll need other, better reasons. Winter is coming and that cuts hunting and fishing down. Foshing is limited to ice fishing, and all the hunters I know of turn to trapping in winter. More efficient ways of scoring meat than hunting. Jobs are tough to come by. You haven't addressed what your other skills are. Are they useful here? Construction and some engineering jobs are holding, but are not gaining at all. Other engineering jobs have been lost due to the credit crunch and a lack of funds to start new jobs.

Most jobs here is tied to construction or the energy industry. Oilfield jobs depend on experience and who you know. Jobs do become available, but are snapped up almost immediately.
I absoultly love the outdoors. It's a shame that here on Long Island in NY I can't really enjoy the "great outdoors". But as far as skills go I have a 2 year degree in boces for trade electricity and a 4 year college degree in trade electricty. I'm not sure if thats useful or not in Alaska though?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,934 times
Those are great training, but you said nothing about practical experience. Otherwise you're not much more than an apprentice electrician just starting out.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:46 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,372,684 times
Hey Ray did you live upstate NY? Used to live in Paul Smiths (college) outside of Saranac Lake.
LOL rarely see posts with Saranac in them let alone the route numbers too.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Those are great training, but you said nothing about practical experience. Otherwise you're not much more than an apprentice electrician just starting out.

What do you mean practicial experience? Like have I done electrition work before? Not invloved with school?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Have you completed an apprenticeship? Are you a licensed electrician?

Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Have you completed an apprenticeship? Are you a licensed electrician?

No I have not. But Im not planning on moving for a few more years so I still have time. I will be a licensed electrician before I move though. Im not going to move without becoming one.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
No I have not. But Im not planning on moving for a few more years so I still have time. I will be a licensed electrician before I move though. Im not going to move without becoming one.
Good plan. You'll have a lot more job opportunities that way.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Do you think I could get a job as an electrician in Alaska?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,325 times
Andrew, I've seen a number of job ads for electricians from Anchorage onto the Valley. It looks to me that some places are having some turn over issues, no idea way, could be the people, could be the employer, I don't know.

If you like the weather in the Buffalo area, with less snow (very much less) but a bit colder and, I'm guessing here, less wind, then Anchorage on up to the Mat-Su would suit you just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska