Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 PM

639 posts, read 1,916,543 times

Advertisements

Well the guy folks did and they each caught a King. Now I am new to cooking this fine fish so I come to you seasoned Alaskan cooks for recipes and suggestions on the best way to preserve our catch. Please share with me your tips,marinades,grill or other method of cooking tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Vaccume seal fillets then freeze...or jar/can for later use. Have you got a smoker? I prefer smoked and jarred for long term storage. Sugar cured smoked and jarred is like candy in mid winter.

As far as grilling...salmon steaks are great right on the grill, or wrap a fillet in foil along with some onion, butter and a dash of beer and place on the grill. Salmon cooks pretty quick.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:27 AM

47 posts, read 289,381 times
Some very wise cousins from Naknek showed me a method for preserving salmon and it has worked like a charm for me. I have had fish last 2 years in the freezer using this method.

1. When possible bleed the fish right after the catch (cut the gills) and keep it on ice.
2. De-scale the fish (gets rid of excess slime, and I believe future fishy stink and smell)
3. Filet or steak the salmon
4. Quick rinse the fish with very clean and cold water
5. Pat dry with paper towel (discard the towel when it is dirty or wet)
6. Wrap the fish in plastic wrap
7. Vacuum seal the fish.

This process really takes time and is messy, but if you are serious about packaging for future freshness it works. At least it has for my cousins and everyone that has tried this method. My wife is the best judge for this method though. She loves grilled salmon with just a bit of salt and pepper, but will not eat it if it isn’t completely fresh or prepared from the way above.

Good luck

Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,243 times
Some of the best salmon I have ever eaten was cooked in foil, on a fire on the Homer spit using only ramen seasoning, it was surprisingly delicious.

I used to smoke a lot of salmon, but was never very good at it, I tried all sorts of brines and marinades and found that the simplest seemed to taste best, like just salt or salt and a little brown sugar or even a light sprinkle of MSG(thank the Phillipinos for teaching me that one.)

Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouthunter View Post
Some very wise cousins from Naknek showed me a method for preserving salmon and it has worked like a charm for me. I have had fish last 2 years in the freezer using this method.

1. When possible bleed the fish right after the catch (cut the gills) and keep it on ice.
2. De-scale the fish (gets rid of excess slime, and I believe future fishy stink and smell)
3. Filet or steak the salmon
4. Quick rinse the fish with very clean and cold water
5. Pat dry with paper towel (discard the towel when it is dirty or wet)
6. Wrap the fish in plastic wrap
7. Vacuum seal the fish.

This process really takes time and is messy, but if you are serious about packaging for future freshness it works. At least it has for my cousins and everyone that has tried this method. My wife is the best judge for this method though. She loves grilled salmon with just a bit of salt and pepper, but will not eat it if it isn’t completely fresh or prepared from the way above.

Good luck
Your wife is a smart woman .

Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Yes she is, and very particular about food. When it comes to enjoying something that you labor over I usually am just as particular. Unfortunately I feel that people tend to drown out the great fish flavors with sauces, mixes, herbs, MSG, and other junk.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes she is, and very particular about food. When it comes to enjoying something that you labor over I usually am just as particular. Unfortunately I feel that people tend to drown out the great fish flavors with sauces, mixes, herbs, MSG, and other junk.
This post has brightened my day more than you know.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This post has brightened my day more than you know.
Not sure what you mean

Old 07-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean
see my comment on the rep points I just sent you...

Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Ah I forgot about the rep points messaging. Yes, I can imagine you know all about this. How's the run on POW this year? I can't wait to make another trip there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska