Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Paid for by ACORN.
I haven't received my Acorn check; wtf's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 06:42 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But you did get your free gas for the Government Motors car they gave you right?

Just bought my first new foreign made car, a Toyota Rav4... Amazing at what it gets for mileage in 4WD... Never liked Ford, always had GM or Chrysler cars, but since they are now owned by the unions and Government, won't buy one period.

They should have been allowed to go bankrupt and sort things out with the creditors, instead they were taken over by the Government, the creditors lost everything and the unions were given the rest for doing nothing for it.

Seems that I am not the only one, their sales are dropping faster than a lead balloon. The cash for Clunkers was a success, everyone traded in the American cars and bought Foreign ones...

Old 10-24-2009, 06:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Cut him some slack, Met. The lad's been OD'ing on Clusterfox.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
But you did get your free gas for the Government Motors car they gave you right?

Just bought my first new foreign made car, a Toyota Rav4... Amazing at what it gets for mileage in 4WD... Never liked Ford, always had GM or Chrysler cars, but since they are now owned by the unions and Government, won't buy one period.

They should have been allowed to go bankrupt and sort things out with the creditors, instead they were taken over by the Government, the creditors lost everything and the unions were given the rest for doing nothing for it.

Seems that I am not the only one, their sales are dropping faster than a lead balloon. The cash for Clunkers was a success, everyone traded in the American cars and bought Foreign ones...
Free gas? No...are they doing that now? Is Hugo Chavez in on it? I hear he's paying the fuel bills again this year for a lot of rural Alaskans.

I haven't bought a new vehicle in years. Put new tires on the truck last summer. My Alaska truck doesn't get used much, mostly just to pick up fish. My Oregon truck just gets used to go around locally--both are Ford Rangers.

Someone had one of those little smart cars on the island last summer. It was tiny and funny looking and I'm not sure how it would do on the unpaved roads there. It probably didn't cost much to get it up on the ferry though as they charge by length.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,856 times
Sweet boy, Levi. I am sure he can answer the question about the part-time blogger and half-term guv.

Levi Johnston to Appear on "Early Show" - The Early Show - CBS News

Alas, I will miss this as I'm off to Europe tonight. But I will check in here, so am counting on you folks.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
Default refreshing?

Stuff like this just wasn't so refreshing for some of us Alaskans....
Sarah Palin on the bailout:

PALIN: "... ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that."

Old 10-25-2009, 07:47 PM

854 posts, read 1,978,552 times
i kind of wish that she'd shore up her ability to speak with clarity.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:33 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Well, O ain't that great either when his teleprompter fails...

Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Stuff like this just wasn't so refreshing for some of us Alaskans....
Sarah Palin on the bailout:

PALIN: "... ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation. This bailout is a part of that."
I do agree with her idea of not accepting all the bailout cash, specially the one dealing with construction, since it requires that those who decided to use some of the handout to build new homes to accept a new set of Federal Government codes. However, the legislature decided to use the money. According to what I heard on the news this week, the money, which was supposedly given to create jobs, helped the State retain 250 jobs. It means that no new jobs were created, just as with the rest of the lower-48 States.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, O ain't that great either when his teleprompter fails...
I was watching a real funny video about Obama speaking: he reads from this teleprompter, and all of the sudden the thing falls apart and crashes on the floor.

And you are right. When Obama speaks impromptu he is plagued by mumblings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska