Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:51 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,484 times

Advertisements

Aside from the heavy overcast, what is life like in Ketchikan. What do people do for a living? are there apartments? nightlife?

Also how do you get there. I'm guessing a feiry but where does it depart from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:44 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
There are apartments, and fishing, tourism and timber are the big three industries.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:37 AM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Yes, you take a ferry from either Bellingham, WA, or Prince Rupert, Canada, to get there.

Ketchikan is where us rural folks ferry to a few times a year for medical care, shopping, and just to cut loose a little bit.

Personally, I would not enjoy living there. It just has kind of a grungy atmosphere of "transitory-ness" about it for me...if that makes any sense But there are good things about it; it is a good place to start out in SE Alaska; job opportunities abound, compared to rural AK...medical industries, bar/restaraunts, other seasonal jobs. PM me to learn more, if you want.

But there are very pretty places out of the immediate city, and you can travel with ease to beautiful places in SE Alaska from Ketchikan. There are lots of events in the summer, many geared toward the myriad of tourists getting on and off the cruise ships...logging festivals, etc. Good restaurants and shopping. Nightlife; lots of bars, a couple clubs.

Apartments are expensive, but available. The town is built on a mountain, so the street layout is a bit crazy.

Lots of people own boats/charter/tourism business...fishing is probably #1 recreation there. Also drinking! And it RAINS...I've only seen the sun 1 day in Ketchikan, and I've been there many, many times! But that's SE AK.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:16 PM

227 posts, read 1,357,484 times
you said fishing is the #1 recreation. What about for a job?

Old 05-15-2007, 02:26 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
There are commercial fishing vessles based out of Ketchikan; however, I think if you wanted a job fishing, that it wouldn't be the best place in AK to start. See Rance's answer to another person wondering about this issue...will check thread name and post again.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 280,529 times
hi cvanripe10 -

one of my close friends move to Ketchikan about a year ago. she had to work outside of her field for a while until she found something more in line with her training. she had little trouble finding work, and think she had many options related to the tourist industry.

overall she has wonderful things to say about the town and its community. she finds everybody really friendly. i know she doesn't drink, so it seems that there are plenty of other recreational things to do that don't involve alcohol.

the rain seems to be incredible and if its not raining, its likely overcast. so be prepared to go without, the sun, moon and stars ...

good luck

Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 PM

12 posts, read 79,932 times
I live in Ketchikan and it is gorgeous...on sunny days, but we don't have many of those. In the summer time it is pretty crowded downtown with all of the tourists and the road layout makes driving a little crazy. There are quite a few houses and apartments to rent, but they fill up quickly in the summer and are expensive. Expect to pay at least $900 a month, more if you want to rent a house. I don't know much about the fishing jobs, but a lot of locals own charters so that is an idea. I personally don't enjoy living in Ketchikan although the sunny days are absolutely breathtaking, it is just too rainy most of the time and expensive to live here.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 25,828 times
Default Ketchikan and Alaska renting

Do you know anywhere not too far north of Ketchikan in Alaska where you can rent a room in a house or an apartment for less than $900 a month? Or any way you can rent a room in a house for less than $900 a month in Ketchikan? Please let me know. Thank you.

karenperalta41@msn.com

Old 07-10-2009, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 34,978 times
i am in the u.s. coast guard and i am looking at going to the cutter acushnet. is there good internet there, are there churches there, and are there any young women 20-29 range?

Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butt3rs84 View Post
i am in the u.s. coast guard and i am looking at going to the cutter acushnet. is there good internet there, are there churches there, and are there any young women 20-29 range?
There are all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: