Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,945,583 times

Advertisements

Ok, as long as I have been reading this forum, I am at a loss......If I will work in Midtown, but can't stand the thought of living in the city and don't want to comute from Wasilla or Palmer where would everyone sugest I would most like to live?? I'm thinking Eagle River, but read somewhere that the light in winter in non-existant? Or are there areas around town within a shorter comute that feel more like "small town/country" ??? Help me gang!! BTW it's 99%, just waiting to negotiate the offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:00 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,697,869 times
I live out on West Dimond across from Jewel Lake. It's a nice and quiet area without the traffic hassles on the outbound commute to Eagle River.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
Ok, as long as I have been reading this forum, I am at a loss......If I will work in Midtown, but can't stand the thought of living in the city and don't want to comute from Wasilla or Palmer where would everyone sugest I would most like to live?? I'm thinking Eagle River, but read somewhere that the light in winter in non-existant? Or are there areas around town within a shorter comute that feel more like "small town/country" ??? Help me gang!! BTW it's 99%, just waiting to negotiate the offer
Finally Woman!!!! Light in Eagle River is not noticably different than anywhere in Anchorage or even the peninsula...you will have about 5-6 hours of daylight, and then like dusk in the morning and late afternoon. But then in -48, it gets light later and dark earlier when off daylight savings time...Remember it is for a short time, and after Dec. 21 or whatever it is...the days get longer Congrats and crossing fingers for you!

Old 08-21-2009, 07:04 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,253,644 times
How about looking down near Girdwood?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM

I heard quite a bit (mostly good) about Jewel Lake. Is the drive easy to Midtown? Did I mention again how I hate the city Its what I'm trying to escape. I liked the thought of Girdwood, but so far I haven't been able to find any rentals down that way.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM

989 posts, read 3,527,444 times
You're sure going to pay a lot more money for a house in these areas than you would out in the Matsu area, maybe twice as much. Just a thought.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times
What's your budget, and more importantly what kind of schedule are you looking at? For example, I think commuting to Girdwood on a Daily basis would get old real fast, particularly in the winter. Yes the drive and the area are beautiful, but realistically you are probably looking at an hour or more each way.

I personally would never recommend commuting to Anchorage from the north, but I'm sure others would disagree. I do know several people at my office (in Midtown) who commute from ER, but they hate it, particlarly on days with traffic snafu's. They tell me it would make a big difference if their commute ended at downtown, but just the extra traffic to get to midtown makes a huge difference.

The Jewel Lake are is an easy commute to mid-town, but I can't really give you allot of info there.

I live in South Anchorage and commute daily. I love it - about a 10 minute drive in. But the area tends to be more pricey.

Then there is your stipulation about not wanting to be in a city. That really complicates things, but also depends on your definition of a city. Coming from any major metropolitan area in the -48, Anchorage is a walk in the park, even if some longtime Alaskans try to make it out as some kind of urban blight upon the face of Alaska.

Good luck on your negotiations - keep us posted.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:59 PM

My (hopefully) soon to be new manager said she lives on the east side and loves it. She said the south side is really nice also, mostly newer, lots of shopping (I don't shop much). I'll plan on renting for now, and will be a 9-5er, really want to keep the rent around $900 (would soooo luv less, but don't want to live in a slum) since I now have that new CRV payment to figure in. Once I get in and settled Ill be able to look around more at areas that are a fit for me. I keep hearing that the drive from Eagle River is horrible in the winter, only one way in & out. I just can't stand the thought of houses on top of one another and tons of traffic, so Midtown was definately not a choice. Ive seen a lot of places advertised in Sand Lake, is that a fairly decent area?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,859,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyoness View Post
My (hopefully) soon to be new manager said she lives on the east side and loves it. She said the south side is really nice also, mostly newer, lots of shopping (I don't shop much). I'll plan on renting for now, and will be a 9-5er, really want to keep the rent around $900 (would soooo luv less, but don't want to live in a slum) since I now have that new CRV payment to figure in. Once I get in and settled Ill be able to look around more at areas that are a fit for me. I keep hearing that the drive from Eagle River is horrible in the winter, only one way in & out. I just can't stand the thought of houses on top of one another and tons of traffic, so Midtown was definately not a choice. Ive seen a lot of places advertised in Sand Lake, is that a fairly decent area?
I would try for a short-term rental if possible to get some "legs" on the ground close to work, hate city or not (I hate too), then look and drive and see what is comfortable and doable...maybe a roommate situation with another the same age group...if I was single I think I might go that route to check it out...and keep on the lookout for other job opportunities where you want to be...once here...girl I could see you out hitchhiking to get here for a while!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM

I'm going to need furniture Anyone want to run over to Sarah Palin's garage sale and load up for me??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska