Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM

14 posts, read 35,281 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be PCS'ing up there in April-May and I was just wondering the value of base housing. If someone was married with no kids is the base housing there worth $1500 a month or is it pretty old? A secondary question, does anyone live in a cabin? Sounds like living in a dry cabin would be kind of hard when you COULD be living on base with all the amenities. I would feel a lot better about it though if I knew other airman were doing it. Thank you.

E-3 will be E-4 soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 09:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Brand new housing all over the place on both Eielson and Fort Wainwright. But the AF will probably give you more than $1,500 to live off base. The only problem is that there aren't as nice apartments near Eielson as the ones on base, since these are brand new units.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,449 times
Are you coming to Eielson or Elmendorf?

Either way they both have really nice housing. Personally, I would live on base unless you plan on buying.
I think that most AF people would not want to live in a Dry cabin. If you are heading to the Anchorage area, you will be hard pressed to find a dry cabin.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times
dude, grab the base housing if you can. you can always change your mind later....

Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
dude, grab the base housing if you can. you can always change your mind later....
good plan

Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Brand new housing all over the place on both Eielson and Fort Wainwright. But the AF will probably give you more than $1,500 to live off base. The only problem is that there aren't as nice apartments near Eielson as the ones on base, since these are brand new units.
Does anyone know where to see pictures of these new houses on Eielson? Are they also for junior enlisted? (E1-E6)

Old 02-06-2010, 12:35 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUSAF View Post
Does anyone know where to see pictures of these new houses on Eielson? Are they also for junior enlisted? (E1-E6)
I have no idea of where to see photos of them. Maybe if you contact the Base Housing Office they can tell you. But one can see new hosing units as soon as one enters the base past the main gate.

here is the website. However, the photos of the homes shown on the front page aren't the ones I have seen at Eielson AFB. In fact, those homes look more like homes build in the East Coast, not Eielson. Not even the trees look familiar to me:
http://eielsonhousing.com/template.p...11da5a62f9effc

Old 02-08-2010, 11:17 AM

11 posts, read 66,839 times
Hi, we are in the same boat that you are. My husband is E5 and we do not have any children yet. We're PCSing there at the beginning of June and have so many questions about where to live. We're worried about what we qualify for there at Eielson because where we are now we quality for a 3 bedroom on base and were about to move into some new two-story homes but now that we have orders we're not going to be able to. I think I heard that without children, even an E5 only qualifies for a 2 bedroom there and am worried that we aren't going to get what we deserve for 8 years of service just because we are unable to have children at this point, it's certainly not for the lack of wanting to or trying.

We're feeling like it may be the best idea to move onto base at least to start since we're not used to the cost of living there and we haven't gotten to see the areas first hand. Once we're there, hopefully if we aren't as happy on base (which I hope we are!), than we will be used to the area and know it a bit and we'll be in a better position to look at off base rentals.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM

11 posts, read 66,839 times
One more thing, I'm actually about to call the housing office at Eielson to find out about floor plans of their housing because their information page says that you can view floor plans through the portal but when we went into work and went in through the portal, we still couldn't finding any images or floor plans. I'll post back if I find anything out. If you get any new info I would greatly appreciate it, also. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:57 PM

154 posts, read 276,361 times
We are considering a move to Eielson AFB. I have a high school student and a Middle school student. My spouse is an E-7 and just past the 16 yr mark. How is base housing / the and the wait... we'd need a 3br. What about pets in base housing? I have 3 chihuahua's all under 5lbs. I know most bases its 2 only. Is there any waivers or exceptions? I know some bases give them now...
What advice do you have for schools? We lived at Elmendorf 8 yrs ago so we know kinda what Alaska life is like but I know thats not the same as up farther north and a lot has changed since we've lived in the state...

PS) what is retiring from AK like - spouse is considering getting out soon after and was curious what it was like to do so in AK. I don't think we'd stay there to live but would rather make it our last assignment so to speak....

Last edited by psalm25; 11-06-2010 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska