Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 91,010 times

Advertisements

I'm not really posting a question...it's more of a lament. Read through if you're bored or like to hear people whine.

I've dreamed about moving to Alaska from Wyoming for over 10 years (since my college days). I've dreamed about the world class fishing and backcountry skiing. Over the last year, I've put the plan into action as I've been searching for jobs anywhere--even in the North Slope--in the Last Frontier. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of jobs for experienced civil engineers to be found right now as it seems that the economy down here in the lower-48 is convincing the people in Alaska who would normally move away to keep their job up there until the economy recovers. I can't blame them; it's a smart move.

Now, I'm in the process of applying for another position in the lower-48 and the prospects for this job are looking very good. Unfortunately, that means that my Alaskan Dream will be put on hold for another 5-10 years minimum.

*sigh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
Well if you get your job...you could take a vacation here!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

46 posts, read 150,446 times
Try this if you are qualified.

Careers - Alaska Engineers, Planning, Design, Construction, Consulting - PDC Inc. (http://www.pdceng.com/careers/index.html - broken link)

Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Don't worry, Rance. Alaskan vacations are a yearly endeavor for me. Just need to make them more permanent.

Thanks for the link, Steve. It seems like PDC is a solid firm, but they want someone with a little more experience than what I have (I have almost 8 years of experience).

Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
You never know, though. You may not match the requirements but perhaps no one else who applies matches them either. Maybe you have the personality they want to go with the skills. Some Alaska jobs are harder to fill. Go ahead and apply, you might be surprised!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
How bout the United States Commissioned Corps. they need you and many of them are here.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:32 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
Ask rrpearso on engineering jobs, he seems to be well off...

Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM

46 posts, read 150,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnengr View Post
Don't worry, Rance. Alaskan vacations are a yearly endeavor for me. Just need to make them more permanent.

Thanks for the link, Steve. It seems like PDC is a solid firm, but they want someone with a little more experience than what I have (I have almost 8 years of experience).
Did you talk to them? You may have guessed, maybe not but I work for their partner company Harris Group, Inc. (HGI). I would love to transfer up there if they needed a structural designer, I don't think our Portland office would let me leave
If you get a job up there put my name in

Last edited by stevehgi; 01-20-2010 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: add more

Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM

AADAD...
I considered the U.S. Commissioned Corps, but I was a little bit worried about the length of their hiring process, which seems to be quite long, especially since I have another opportunity right now.

warptman...
I assume that this is tongue-in-cheek judging by some other posts that I've read?!?

Steve...
I actually thought that you had some connection to PDC since you gave me that specific link. I'm working on spicing up my resume and cover letter a little bit more for this position since I wouldn't technically have as much experience as they would like. Do you know for sure that they're still looking? I have seen this ad up on their website for quite a while (over three months). In fact, I don't think that I've seen them change any of their ad postings over the last three months.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:43 PM

124 posts, read 276,693 times
Default Keeping the Alaska dream alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
You never know, though. You may not match the requirements but perhaps no one else who applies matches them either. Maybe you have the personality they want to go with the skills. Some Alaska jobs are harder to fill. Go ahead and apply, you might be surprised!
I'm with Gobrien. I'm now in the final stage of interviews for a job I NEVER expected to get. But holy cow, it seems to be happening. If Alaska is what you really want, think about ways you can make it happen.

Another thing to consider: You work as a civil engineer NOW. But that is what you do, not who you are. How open are you to some major life reinvention to get yourself relocated to the land of your dreams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: