Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 05:47 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,906 times

Advertisements

Moose I'm puzzled as to how a minority, the losers in a vote for all of the elected Representatives, has attained the status of representing the majority of of Americans. The results of the last election is the number of elected officials. Note I'm referring to the counted votes in the People's House and the Senate on the HCR Act of 2010. In an official election, certified by both Chambers, there was a group that had enough votes to pass legislation which the elected President of the United States signed into law. Then the financial condition of the United States is being called out as meeting some standard you are professing to be privy to as not being suitable. I just looked at an indicator which is determined by the votes of millions of individuals with their money that in one sense represents the value of the basic infrastructure of this United States. It is called the Dow Jones average and it isn't a poll which can be biased by the questions being asked. Something like a man being asked have you stopped beating your wife? Is this question suitable to determine what the actual answer is? The Dow is the collective vote of trillions of Dollars of wealth made by millions of individuals which isn't easily manipulated by an individual. It started down in the last year of the previous administration and continued down in the first year of the present administration. And in the run up to the passage of the HCR Act of 2010 that indicator of financial confidence rose to the highest it has been since the turnabout in the last year of the previous administration. That says unequivocally that the financial conditions in this Country are something that the People of this Country are confident about. That isn't a link to something with either a liberal or conservative viewpoint but rather a consensus of opinion.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
Moose I'm puzzled as to how a minority, the losers in a vote for all of the elected Representatives, has attained the status of representing the majority of of Americans. The results of the last election is the number of elected officials. Note I'm referring to the counted votes in the People's House and the Senate on the HCR Act of 2010. In an official election, certified by both Chambers, there was a group that had enough votes to pass legislation which the elected President of the United States signed into law. Then the financial condition of the United States is being called out as meeting some standard you are professing to be privy to as not being suitable. I just looked at an indicator which is determined by the votes of millions of individuals with their money that in one sense represents the value of the basic infrastructure of this United States. It is called the Dow Jones average and it isn't a poll which can be biased by the questions being asked. Something like a man being asked have you stopped beating your wife? Is this question suitable to determine what the actual answer is? The Dow is the collective vote of trillions of Dollars of wealth made by millions of individuals which isn't easily manipulated by an individual. It started down in the last year of the previous administration and continued down in the first year of the present administration. And in the run up to the passage of the HCR Act of 2010 that indicator of financial confidence rose to the highest it has been since the turnabout in the last year of the previous administration. That says unequivocally that the financial conditions in this Country are something that the People of this Country are confident about. That isn't a link to something with either a liberal or conservative viewpoint but rather a consensus of opinion.
Wow, I can definitely tell you work for the government. My dog's poop doesn't stink as bad as that pile of manure.

Spin it how ever you wish. The FACT remains that the majority of people in this country oppose this legislation. Denying, spinning, lying, gloating, or pontificating won't change reality. And governing against the consent of the majority rarely ends well, particularly in the USA.

55% Favor Repeal of Health Care Bill - Rasmussen Reports™

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,023,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
And in the run up to the passage of the HCR Act of 2010 that indicator of financial confidence rose to the highest it has been since the turnabout in the last year of the previous administration.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Old 03-25-2010, 06:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Wow, I can definitely tell you work for the government. My dog's poop doesn't stink as bad as that pile of manure.

Spin it how ever you wish. The FACT remains that the majority of people in this country oppose this legislation. Denying, spinning, lying, gloating, or pontificating won't change reality. And governing against the consent of the majority rarely ends well, particularly in the USA.

55% Favor Repeal of Health Care Bill - Rasmussen Reports™

How ironic is it that the largest group who want it repelled are seniors over the age of 65.

The very people who are more dependent on the government than any other age group. Someone needs to have a chat with grandma and grandpa.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
By 49%-40%, those polled say it was "a good thing" rather than a bad one that Congress passed the bill.

Poll: Health care plan gains favor - USATODAY.com (http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-03-23-health-poll-favorable_N.htm - broken link)

Old 03-25-2010, 07:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,792,906 times
Quote] ...that IS the problem. The inability of this nation to correct the major legislative blunders of the past has led us down the road to disaster... ...At which point it will blow a hole in our economy bigger than any of Dubya's bunker busters ....[Quote

During the entire runup to the passage of the HCR Bill there were predictions, by the opponents, that passage of the Bill would destroy the economy as your two quotes above seem to indicate. Your "Post hoc ergo propter hoc" seems to indicate you are saying the two events (passage of HCR and the level of the Dow Average) are coincidental and aren't connected. But this independent arbitrator of sentiment rose as the predictions of disaster were being screamed by Boemer and after passage it didn't fall off the cliff as was predicted. I took those predictions to heart and actually put in limit buy orders at considerably below market prices in case there was a serious fallback in prices on the stock market. So far the fall off hasn't occurred and I haven't bought a single share of stock after passage of this "BUDGET BUSTER". Who was wrong about how the sentiment would move if the Bill became law? Are you still predicting a disaster in the future?

Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
How ironic is it that the largest group who want it repelled are seniors over the age of 65.

The very people who are more dependent on the government than any other age group. Someone needs to have a chat with grandma and grandpa.
Are you certain about it? Have you even thought how long and hard seniors over age of 60 have worked in their lives and paid taxes (including S.S. Taxes)? They may be dependent of the government, but in reality these people are being returned a portion of the money they have put into government programs for a lot of years. Can you imagine if these people were allowed to invest the money instead of paying S.S. and other taxes? So, by the age of 65 they can receive some of the S.S. money they have put into it for several decades, and a few years later they die, never receiving but a portion of what they paid to S.S.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreesininceland View Post
The onus of providing evidence is on you, my friend. You made the claim about the US not being "financially sound." I told you that it is financially sound, but that there are severe problems that need to be addressed.

Let me provide you with an analogy. Imagine a man who has contracted typhoid. His health is essentially sound but he has this typhoid problem that he needs to tend to.

Let me know if you get it this time. If not, I will slow down further. Only for you, Moose. See how far I am going for a fellow photog.
You remind me of the Iraqi Information Minister (Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf) denying that the US had invaded.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,856 times
Rasmussen is a Republican hack. Gallup has this -

Majority of Poor, Young, Uninsured Back Healthcare Bill

At any rate, Obama campaigned on healthcare reform, he was elected convincingly to the Presidency, and he delivered on his promise. Case closed. You cannot let the poll of the day dictate your approach to policy. The voters get to have their say in 2/4 years.

Amusingly, Fox et al were touting a poll last week that showed 59% opposed to healthcare reform. But they were misleading their viewers. It turned out that around 13% of those 59% were opposed because the bill did not go far enough! When you broke down the numbers, a majority came out in support of the bill.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:43 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,269,856 times
Dr. Krugman lays it out with utmost clarity, precision, and economy of word in Friday's NYT -

Op-Ed Columnist - Going to Extreme - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska