Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:28 PM

70 posts, read 293,733 times

Advertisements

What the title says, I heard that after being a citizen of Alaska for a year the government pays you to live there. Is that true or was the person who told me just a moron? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 01:23 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default not exactly

What you're probably referring to is the PFD...the Permanent Fund Dividend. Its true that Alaskans currently pay no state tax, though they have in the past and may someday in the future. In fact, the state has a huge kitty (billions) of cash tucked away from taxes on the oil shipped through the Alaska Pipeline. Every year they take some of the profits from that "permanent fund" and distribute it evenly to all bona-fide Alaskan residents. Most years its around $800-$900, though in the past its topped $1100. Depending on when you move there you might have to wait more than a year to get a distribution, the rules are fairly complex. If you leave the state for any significant length of time (more than a couple of months) you can't claim a dividend that year so that knocks out the snowbirds, even if they do own a house or land up in AK. All in all, its much better better deal than paying the state every year in addition to the feds, but you're talking about well less than $100 a month even in the good years. Hardly enough reason to incur the substantial costs of moving up to AK just for the dividend, and keep in mind that its not the cheapest place to live either.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
But don't think you can move here and live off a PDF. It ain't happening. Not to mention you get into trouble with the law, poof...no more dividend. You owe fines. Your dividend pays off those fines. Student loans? Your dividend goes toward paying those off. Sure it's a nice little bonus once a year, if you get one, but the feds still tax you on it. To make a long story short...we "don't" get paid to live here. We live here because we love it, and we residents get a dividend to boot!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
But don't think you can move here and live off a PDF. It ain't happening. Not to mention you get into trouble with the law, poof...no more dividend. You owe fines. Your dividend pays off those fines. Student loans? Your dividend goes toward paying those off. Sure it's a nice little bonus once a year, if you get one, but the feds still tax you on it. To make a long story short...we "don't" get paid to live here. We live here because we love it, and we residents get a dividend to boot!

DITTO - DITTO- DITTO.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
I'm still waiting for the gubment to pay me for living, period. I am such a god that people should pay for the privilege of my company.

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way
I can't wait to look in the mirror, 'cause I get better lookin' each day..."

Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 PM

70 posts, read 293,733 times
Thank you all for the clear up. My buddy was telling me they pay you like $4-5,000! So he wasn't total bullcrapping me!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
He was way off. We've never seen that amount. Ever. I'm sure we never will.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:20 PM

29 posts, read 154,179 times
One of the guys I served with in the Navy grew up in Homer, and he told me about getting the money from the PFD, and I was like wha??? I mean I don't pay state income tax in Nevada either (they make enough off the gambling licenses and such,) but it still kinda amazed me until I thought about how much it really was. Maybe one extra fat paycheck per year for lower income, or nowhere near a paycheck for the higher income.
Sounds like a really silly reason to move there. When he told me how much he got, it was like 900ish bucks.
I wish I could give advice on all the states I have lived in, about their pros and cons, but during my time in the military I always kept Nevada as my home of record, so I was a Nevada resident the entire time.

Old 06-08-2007, 07:32 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,225,839 times
If you have a whole passel of kids, each of them gets the same as mom and pop. Problem is, you are responsible for how you spend their money. No instant 'Vette in the driveway. Most of the folks I know with kids bank it for college, or purchase a family gift (small boat or a good computer for the kids to use at school. There have been a couple of lawsuits against parents who blew their (and their kids' PFD's) on booze or drugs. More power to the kids, I say. My boys know where their PFD's are at.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default best college plan EVER

Yeah, if you're smart it can be a good foundation for the best college plan EVER...and its one that can actually happen for the average family which is the best part.

Now as far as living on the PFD....thats an exercise in frugality that would test even the cheapest of cheapskates. I doubt that even the most successful hunter/trapper in the most austere cabin could live off $75/month these days. As long as you're accustomed to luxuries such as living indoors and eating on a regular basis, that gonna be a hard budget to stick to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska