Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM

732 posts, read 2,981,160 times

Advertisements

I'll be spending the better part of a work week in downtown Albany next month (near Clinton and Broadway). We're planning on staying at the nearby Hampton Inn.

Are there any decent restaurants within walking distance? I don't think I'll have a car. Is the downtown area alive at night, or do the sidewalks roll up at 5 PM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:17 AM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Home Page | Downtown Albany BID

Welcome to Albany, NY!

Martinelli - Albany Visitors Guide

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM

267 posts, read 971,431 times
My favorite restaurant is Katrinella's, a small place, looks shady from the outside, BUT it's amazing!!! The food, the cozy atmosphere inside. Katrinella's Bistro, albany restaurant It's less than 1 mile. Go to the State Museum, a tour of the capitol, a trolley tour.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 PM

334 posts, read 851,851 times
Downtown is fairly quiet at night. There are a bunch of bars aimed at 20-somethings nearby, but I'm not sure that is what you are looking for. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance, though. Your hotel, surprisingly for a Hampton Inn, has a very good restaurant, Yono's. Yono's is expensive, but the hotel also houses the less expensive dp Brasserie, run by Yono's son, Dominic, a sommelier. Yono and family do a lot to support non-profits in the Albany area.

There are a number of other well-respected restaurants within walking distance, many of which I haven't been to. Angelo's 677 Prime is the most popular. It is an expensive steak house. I have heard a range of things about this place from "chewy steaks and highly over-rated," to "best steak I ever had," so I haven't yet dared to splurge on it. The Brown Derby is practically across the street from your hotel. It has some decent specials on various days of the week. Also only a block or two away is The Victory Cafe, which is casual but very good for the type of food it serves. I have not eaten at taste under the current owner, but it had excellent food at decent prices under the previous owner, and I've heard that it hasn't changed a lot. The Merry Monk is a new place that sounds interesting. One of the Capital District's all time favorite restaurants, Cafe Capriccio, is also nearby. It is tiny, so reservations are a good idea. Be aware that it's on a somewhat rundown block.

There aren't many fun stores nearby, but there are a few things to do besides eat. There's not much happening at the Palace Theater this time of year, but check it out to see if anything is going on while you are there. I am embarrassed to say that last year was the first time I went to a performance at the Capital Rep. I had no idea that they do excellent productions using professional actors. I will likely be purchasing a subscription soon! The theater is small and all seats are good. Two bigger venues nearby are the Times Union Center and The Egg.

A good place to get information about the neighborhood is the Downtown Albany BID (Business Improvement District). Their web site isn't always as up-to-date as it could be, but if you can get to their offices when they are open, they have all sorts of information about stuff going on. I have also heard that the Hampton Inn has a few staff members that know what is going on.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 9,713 times
Leave poor Albany, ny along Albany is the dang capital

Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
There's a great little Wine Bar/Bistro on Lark Street about a block or two off of Central. Shared a bottle and some tapas with a friend last year and we were impressed by both the wine list and the service. The little patio out back is terrific.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I highly recommend this place. Have been there three times now.

New World Bistro Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area