Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM

413 posts, read 832,612 times

Advertisements

Not sure what you are thinking here. If you think Pittsburgh is boring and has not much to do for young people I don't think you are going to find Albany better. I grew up there but live in Chicago now. Personally I think its a perfectly fine city, but I think that about Pittsburgh too.

Albany is definitely not NYC though. If you are really looking for something more exciting then Pittsburgh than you need to go to a place like NYC, Chicago, DC or San Fran. Life for Single people could be a lot worse than Pittsburgh. Albany is a significantly smaller city and although I think its pretty good for its size it is not at all a mecca for young single professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM

267 posts, read 971,431 times
Well, I've got a good decade on you, but I live in Schenectady, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I'm a married with kids, and even when I was single, I was never the club/bar hopping type....I like Schenectady. It's not just simply the city that I like, it's the location within the entire Northeast that I like. I like being a few hours from NYC, Boston, and Montreal. I like having the Catskills to the south, the Adirondacks to the north. I love the four seasons and the sports and activities that come with each. In Schenectady you have a handful of restaurants and bars, a nice movie theater, Proctors theater, etc. I like some of the smaller events at the Van Dyck, my husband and I had a great date night there, dinner and a comedy show, it was cheap too! For drinks and music, I recently went to Clinton's Ditch, it was fun, a good mix of college students, young professionals and middle aged folks. The cover band played a great mix of 60's/70's and brand new music. I like having the Egg, the Palace Theater, SPAC and other venues within a short drive. I like all the fesitvals in the tri city area too. If I were your age, I'd live in Sch'dy, since that's where your job would be, save the driving around for weekends.

You could join clubs, a gym, there adult leagues for sports, like soccer, hockey, etc. Mountain biking right in Central Park is popular. Miles of bike path from Rotterdam Junction to Albany. City parks, state parks nearby. Lots of stuff to do in my opinion!

The areas that I would look for apartments would be the Stockade, upper Union St., Glenwood/Parkwood, near Union College, I like the area near lower Union St. near the main library too. Of course there are places to avoid, I wouldn't live on the area of VanVranken/Foster Ave, Hamilton Hill, Vale Park/State St neighborhood. Feel free to contact me with questions about the area or an address of an apartment that you are considering. With the right attitude you'll find things to do here, people to hang out with and make a home for yourself.

My advice is take the job! You are very fortunate to find a job in this economy! You'll be fine

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 PM

20 posts, read 42,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Albany is definitely not NYC though.
I've noticed a lot of people saying this...maybe it's an upstate thing I'm missing. But nowhere in the country is like it either, that's what makes it so appealing. If I was looking for NYC...i'd just go to NYC. As cool as it is, 6k/month for rent is absurd

Anywho, I took the job! and visited this week. Overall it does remind me of Pittsburgh, but flatter and sunnier.
Schenectady was like I thought--a place that just wasn't for me. I did see some nice parts, but the initial drive through--that looked like an Eastern European ghetto-- just rubbed me the wrong way. I felt my youth dying as I rode through Colonie, Niskayuna, and some other places. There was nothing wrong with them--VERY nice places--that's just my feeling towards the suburbs.
I can't see myself living anywhere other that Center Square. I honestly got excited about living there when I saw this place. I've been looking for a place there since I got back.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Hahaha "felt your youth dying." Yep, that's what it does to you.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:04 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
I've noticed a lot of people saying this...maybe it's an upstate thing I'm missing. But nowhere in the country is like it either, that's what makes it so appealing. If I was looking for NYC...i'd just go to NYC. As cool as it is, 6k/month for rent is absurd

Anywho, I took the job! and visited this week. Overall it does remind me of Pittsburgh, but flatter and sunnier.
Schenectady was like I thought--a place that just wasn't for me. I did see some nice parts, but the initial drive through--that looked like an Eastern European ghetto-- just rubbed me the wrong way. I felt my youth dying as I rode through Colonie, Niskayuna, and some other places. There was nothing wrong with them--VERY nice places--that's just my feeling towards the suburbs.
I can't see myself living anywhere other that Center Square. I honestly got excited about living there when I saw this place. I've been looking for a place there since I got back.
Were you able to check out Saratoga Springs or Troy?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:07 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,827,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Were you able to check out Saratoga Springs or Troy?
His youth probably would have been demolished further if he lived in Saratoga Springs. I'm not sure that I'd like to live there, but it's definitely a nice place to walk around for a day in the summer time.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:01 AM

255 posts, read 487,924 times
Sweet! We'll be neighbors if you decide to live in Center Square. I live off of State Street between Lark and Dove.

If you're looking for apartments I'd recommend just walking around the neighborhood and jotting down the for-rent numbers. Other than that you can check out these sites: Padmapper.com and rent.com

Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM

20 posts, read 42,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
His youth probably would have been demolished further if he lived in Saratoga Springs. I'm not sure that I'd like to live there, but it's definitely a nice place to walk around for a day in the summer time.
I about died laughing at this. My youth wouldn't allow me to go any further north of Sch'dy without an antidepressant...
I've heard Troy has an area similar to Center Square, but working in Schenectady, I don't know how that would work with traffic (it was a smooth 20 min. ride from lark street).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Sweet! We'll be neighbors if you decide to live in Center Square. I live off of State Street between Lark and Dove.

If you're looking for apartments I'd recommend just walking around the neighborhood and jotting down the for-rent numbers. Other than that you can check out these sites: Padmapper.com and rent.com
Well hey neighbor! I literally walked up and down every street between Washington and Madison for about three hours when I was there lol Some people didn't answer, some of them were ridiculously expensive, I got to look at one studio...But I'm going to keep looking!

oh, I saw a place on Lark and Spruce too...hows that area?

Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't know if it would be that bad, but it does seem to have a good amount of nightlife for its size: Saratoga Springs Nightlife, Bars & Restaurants In Saratoga Springs NY

Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 PM

255 posts, read 487,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDuBois View Post
I about died laughing at this. My youth wouldn't allow me to go any further north of Sch'dy without an antidepressant...
I've heard Troy has an area similar to Center Square, but working in Schenectady, I don't know how that would work with traffic (it was a smooth 20 min. ride from lark street).

Well hey neighbor! I literally walked up and down every street between Washington and Madison for about three hours when I was there lol Some people didn't answer, some of them were ridiculously expensive, I got to look at one studio...But I'm going to keep looking!

oh, I saw a place on Lark and Spruce too...hows that area?

Yeah.....don't look for apartments there. Once Lark Street crosses Washington Ave it gets more and more not nice. Your best bet is to stay in between Madison and Central/Washington. You can also walk all the way up Madison and look for some places there. Basically, other than Center Square, you can walk up and check all the streets that surround Washington Park.

What price are you looking for?

The typical one-bedroom in Center Square will run you about $750 a month, sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on the quality. My old apartment for example was on Lancaster and it was $675 a month with everything included. Also, I would be hesitant to live right on Lark. It get's very noisy a certain times and I'm sure you need your sleep for your new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area