Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2012, 09:44 PM

475 posts, read 853,200 times

Advertisements

Hello I was actually entertaining the idea of moving back to New York perhaps one day and I was looking into the different areas. I was born and raised in Putnam/Westchester, served in the US Army, and I'm a certified automotive technician, worked for Honda/Acura and BMW. Although I skipped college, I did graduate from a tech school and worked my way up from that point forward.

Anyways I'm used to making a decent salary as a tech and was curious how my experience would play out in Albany? How many Bimmers are in the area? Does the area offer a higher level of clientel? What are the shop labor rates most folks from Albany are willing to pay?

I have also attended factory schools from both American Honda and Chrysler Group. I have my vehicle safety inspector from Virginia State Police and was wondering the process involved in getting one from New York?

Finally I'm not the lazy type. I have spent many 11-12 hours a day in the shop and love every aspect of my job, I've been into cars ever since I was a kid, I could have gone to college and got a job I hated or went to tech school and pursued my passion for cars. I chose the latter.

Anyways the good people of New York thank you for listening and please offer some feedback if you may. I do love working on those sexy europeans. Take care..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 02:43 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
You might check into Saratoga area. Many Beamers, also Honda and many pickup trucks.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:53 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,836,735 times
Saratoga and Albany. Just look for wealthier areas. I've even seen a Maserati in Schenectady so perhaps even there lol.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM

334 posts, read 852,333 times
Purely anecdotal, but I see lots of BMWs on the road. (I live in Albany.) I'm always surprised how many there are in such a solidly middle class area. Hondas, of course, are even more plentiful. If you are honest and certified, you have the type of skills where you could move almost anywhere that has a critical mass of population, even in the recession. Folks like you are few and far between. You might think about just calling some shops or dealerships and explain your situation, and see what they have to say. I know a young man who did that when he wanted to move to another part of the country. He had good recommendations from his past employers, and it did not take him long to find something at a Honda dealership.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 PM

475 posts, read 853,200 times
Thank you my friends for the info.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM

267 posts, read 971,926 times
I live in Sch'dy and know quite a few folks that have BMWs. One couple is part of the BMW club, and race their cars as well. My cousin works at the Keeler on Rt. 7 by the airport. He moved here from out of state. I seem to remember him talking about another shop towards Albany too. I'd just find the various shops in the area, and send in resumes. I'd say there are both quite a few people w/bmws, and jobs in that field.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
I wouldn't go by the number of each make of car on the road. I'd start looking for dealerships to work for and who's hiring. I know there are a few BMW dealers. My brother works for one and some are better than others. Chances are you'd make more at a dealership than you would at a mom & pop shop.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 PM

334 posts, read 852,333 times
As I was traveling through Albany today I passed the car shop Bavarian Rocket Science and remembered your question. They service cars from throughout the area. They are in a sort of no-man's land of light industrial and warehouses down by the Hudson River, so easy to forget about it, but they work on high end cars, including BMWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area