Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM

128 posts, read 168,505 times

Advertisements

The only thing that could have saved upstate NY (outside of Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo) from it's decades old decline into oblivian has just been banned. Not saying that fracking should be allowed because I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other but it's unfortunate because nothing short of an energy boom will ever bring upstate NY back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 PM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebloke View Post
The only thing that could have saved upstate NY (outside of Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo) from it's decades old decline into oblivian has just been banned. Not saying that fracking should be allowed because I don't know enough about it to say one way or the other but it's unfortunate because nothing short of an energy boom will ever bring upstate NY back.
Actually, the biggest impact would have been felt in the Southern Tier and not the areas mentioned due to where it would have taken place. So, areas like Elmira, Binghamton and even Ithaca would have benefitted from Fracking.

Also, the first 2 of those 3 areas has seen population and some economic growth in recent years.

Old 12-23-2014, 02:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Like the safe gun act Cuomo does it again with banning fracking, bad decision. IMO he cares nothing about the people outside of NYC and those of us living upstate.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:11 PM

44 posts, read 77,583 times
Quote:
Are you aware that you've contradicted yourself??

You said the only thing that could've saved upstate NY is fracking. And, in the very next sentence you say you have NO IDEA if it should be allowed!!

^ This is extremely laughable

So..... which oil/gas company do you work for?

Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 AM

128 posts, read 168,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus059 View Post
Are you aware that you've contradicted yourself??

You said the only thing that could've saved upstate NY is fracking. And, in the very next sentence you say you have NO IDEA if it should be allowed!!

^ This is extremely laughable

So..... which oil/gas company do you work for?

You don't read between the lines very well do you? It's not that difficult but I'll walk you through it since you seem to need a little help in that department.

Unfortunate fracking is the one and only thing that could save upstate NY. Upstate NY, with very few exceptions, is an economic wasteland and nothing short of an energy boom is ever going to stop the steady decline that has been going on there for decades upon decades...much less bring it back.

However, it was banned for a reason (obviously) and that reason is environmental concerns (again, obviously). I am not an expert on fracking and can't say one way or the other whether or not it should be allowed (for environmental reasons).

Get it or do you need a little more help?

Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM

44 posts, read 77,583 times
Quote:
You don't read between the lines very well do you? It's not that difficult but I'll walk you through it since you seem to need a little help in that department.

Unfortunate fracking is the one and only thing that could save upstate NY. Upstate NY, with very few exceptions, is an economic wasteland and nothing short of an energy boom is ever going to stop the steady decline that has been going on there for decades upon decades...much less bring it back.

However, it was banned for a reason (obviously) and that reason is environmental concerns (again, obviously). I am not an expert on fracking and can't say one way or the other whether or not it should be allowed (for environmental reasons).

Get it or do you need a little more help?
Your opinion on fracking is the ONLY way to save upstate is foolish at best, and shows you lack any business or creative economic sense(s). Would you live next to a gas well, and then drink it's water on daily basis? Didn't think so!

And thanks, but I now exactly what you're implying, and I stand by my initial post.

Also, you're right about one thing- YOU'RE NOT AN EXPERT! Good day!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:48 PM

127 posts, read 223,531 times
Quote:
The only thing that could have saved upstate NY (outside of Albany, Rochester, and Buffalo)

What makes you think Albany has not declined into decades long oblivion?

The majority of the city looks like a ghetto from the 80s.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 PM

338 posts, read 556,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post
What makes you think Albany has not declined into decades long oblivion?

The majority of the city looks like a ghetto from the 80s.
Sadly true.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:12 AM

142 posts, read 242,376 times
Tell that to the people in PA who now have flammable water. Fracking is exactly why I won't move to PA and NC (NC is up in the air about whether they're going to frack or not.)

Fracking jobs are temporary as well. Any boom you'd see wouldn't last more than a few years. Is it worth it to destroy the environment and your property value for a temporary boost?

Old 03-05-2015, 08:40 AM

66 posts, read 98,788 times
Astroturf. That is grass roots nay sayers who only have greed on their minds or are otherwise stuck inside a box.

They diss all the science. How's the weather where you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area