Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM

177 posts, read 406,504 times

Advertisements

I can't believe people still have false hopes about this project.

Albuquerque will NEVER build a new arena. EVER.

History has proven me to be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM

Albuquerque will NEVER build a new arena. EVER.

You heard it here first!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:43 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
No, not now, not in the proposed location. Thank goodness.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
So, when the economy rebounds, say an arena can be funded, just not downtown. Would demolishing and rebuilding a bigger better Tingley be the thing to do, or is there a part of town that would make a better case than downtown or Tingley?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
No, not now, not in the proposed location. Thank goodness.
I guarantee you it won't be built anywhere.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
So, when the economy rebounds, say an arena can be funded, just not downtown. Would demolishing and rebuilding a bigger better Tingley be the thing to do, or is there a part of town that would make a better case than downtown or Tingley?
This has been proposed plenty of times. It never happened and it never will.

Albuquerque just does NOT have what, say, cities like Tulsa, Omaha, and Des Moines have, which is a vision and progressive attitude toward these sorts of project.

I am not trying to be provocative. It just ain't gonna happen. Want to see a cool new arena in a mid size city? Go to Tulsa. You won't see it here in your life time.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:16 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
I think it is amusing that third rank cities like Des Moines, Tulsa, and Omaha are said to have "vision and progressive attitude". I think it illustrates my point that planning for arenas on potentially vital downtown streets is retrograde, discarded urban thinking. Arenas can kill downtown life and urban fabric with their huge size, parking facilities, and part time use.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
See the College World Series thread for a discussion of Omaha. They got a new stadium because the NCAA threatented to move the CWS if they didn't replace Rosenblatt. Plus, TD Ameritrade paid a chunk toward the cost.

Tulsa has 1.1-1.2 million in the metro area, about 30% more people than ABQ. Plus, an equal or larger metro area (OKC) is only 100 miles away.

I have absolutely no problem if a private entity wants to build a new arena in ABQ with their own private funds. I'll wish them the best. If the city or some other public entity wants to build an arena with tax dollars, or guarantee bonding with tax dollars, then I'll have serious problems.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
I think it is amusing that third rank cities like Des Moines, Tulsa, and Omaha are said to have "vision and progressive attitude". I think it illustrates my point that planning for arenas on potentially vital downtown streets is retrograde, discarded urban thinking. Arenas can kill downtown life and urban fabric with their huge size, parking facilities, and part time use.
You bring that up, but you never have an alternative. So what next? One million people in Albuquerque with no arena, no vital downtown, no jobs, no companies? Just the idea that we were not "stupid" enough to build an arena? Your argument doesn't hold water.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
See the College World Series thread for a discussion of Omaha. They got a new stadium because the NCAA threatented to move the CWS if they didn't replace Rosenblatt. Plus, TD Ameritrade paid a chunk toward the cost.

Tulsa has 1.1-1.2 million in the metro area, about 30% more people than ABQ. Plus, an equal or larger metro area (OKC) is only 100 miles away.

I have absolutely no problem if a private entity wants to build a new arena in ABQ with their own private funds. I'll wish them the best. If the city or some other public entity wants to build an arena with tax dollars, or guarantee bonding with tax dollars, then I'll have serious problems.
Where has a private entity built a $200 million arena? Provide an example please. And with no public subsidy. I'm wating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque