Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 PM

192 posts, read 256,622 times

Advertisements

I will finally be in ABQ this monday with the intent of relocating here for the long term. The favorites ABQ restaurants thread is huge so I will try and keep this simple.
Lets assume you just arrived in ABQ for the first time ever, (which I will be), and you are at the airport. After a long 6 hour flight you are looking for a nice restaurant too eat authentic New Mexican food.
Where too go? Any favorite dishes to order?
I love all types of food but would like to get a flair of what the true New Mexican food is like......then I can go look for a nice italian place and hopefully a bagel joint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,674 times
Frontier would be the closest on Central but I personally would head to Sadies just off of I-40 & Eubank.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
I definitely vote for Frontier. That is where we head when we fly into ABQ from out of town. I want my New Mexican fix before we head north to Santa Fe.

(Only been to Sadie's once ... not impressed.)

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
I'd echo the recommendation for the Frontier. Especially since it's fall and I'd recommend you eat one of New Mexico's favorite fall dishes: green chile stew. The Frontier has one of the best versions of that around. Combine that with some fresh flour tortillas (which the Frontier is also famous for) and I can't think of a much more authentic New Mexico experience, especially at this time of year.

The Frontier is located on Central Avenue across the street from the University of New Mexico, very convenient to the airport. Just take University or Yale Boulevards up to Central from the airport and continue east to Cornell. The Frontier is right on the corner of Central and Cornell, you can't miss it.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:46 AM

908 posts, read 2,853,244 times
I haven't been disappointed with a place called: "Duran's Station" on Menaul around Washington. Food is good, but the tortillas are amazing. My dad and I watched the lady making them from scratch and they are literally like grandma used to make them. Perfect for sopping up refrieds or carne adovada.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
The favorites ABQ restaurants thread is huge so I will try and keep this simple.

Lets assume you just arrived in ABQ for the first time ever, (which I will be), and you are at the airport.

Where too go?
There are several but in my opinion the most popular, most "New Mexican", most famous and not too far from the airport is the Frontier Restaurant: Map | Frontier Restaurant

As you exit the Airport (Sunport) take the Yale Blvd exit, go North to Central Ave, turn right (east bound). It's about 4 miles from the Sunport.

However, I have picked up a lot of arrivals at the Airport (Sunport) and most are hungry and grouchy with no desire to sight-see immediately. They are hungry. Village Inn is close, fast, good service and good variety.
Village Inn
2340 Yale Blvd SE
Village Inn: Yale

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-12-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 07:35 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
IMO you can't find better New Mexican food than at La Salita on Eubank near Constitution. The Frontier is definitely unique and has good food. It is very Albuquerque, so you can't go wrong there too. Trombino's and Mario's are good for Italian. I don't know much about the bagel selection here, but Einstein's has never failed. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:36 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,449,419 times
Another vote for Frontier. When I go out of town for business, I make my husband take me home via Frontier. Huge pots of free green and red chile for your food....I would probably order Huevos Rancheros.

For Italian, try Vivace on Central, Joe's Pasta House in Rio Rancho ( if you plan on visiting RR ) or Nicky V's on the West Side ( on Coors )

For bagels, try Wolf's on Montgomery and San Pedro and prepare to be a bit disappointed. Wolf's and The Bagel Cafe in RR are about as close as it gets, and they aren't great, just quite good.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,789 times
I'd try Sophia's at least one day. It's more Mexican than New Mexican. But it's better in my opinion. They're only open for lunch, not dinner.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM

79 posts, read 231,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Frontier would be the closest on Central but I personally would head to Sadies just off of I-40 & Eubank.
I'll echo Frontier as others have. I personally won't be patronizing Sadies any time soon. I've yet to try the one here on Eubank, but did try the other location and was not impressed with the food. Taco Bell's had better tasting food. Maybe the chef/cooks were having an off day, as others tell me Sadies is pretty darn good.

Being of Italian descent, the best I've had here and that I've tried has been Mario's on San Mateo and Saggio's right next to Frontier. If you're craving a nice slice of pie and a cannoli you CAN NOT beat Saggios. Saggio's pizza has been the closest I've had to serving size and flavors for great bang on the buck outside of visiting my mom on Long Island. There are also a couple Italian delis around town that are pretty good.

A note regarding my Italian suggestions...I tend to not eat out for Italian much as I've learned family recipes handed down from my Sicilian great grandparents. I've not tried Scarpo's or Trombino's yet, but they are on the list. Last time I ate at Mario's was 2007? Saggio's on the other hand is about once or twice a month, though I haven't been there since August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque