Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:55 PM

68 posts, read 455,616 times

Advertisements

I was interested in joining a gym called Open Gym on Wyoming. They advertise rates of $19.99/month.

So I go in and ask if I paid cash for a year in advance would I get a discount. And they said no - if I paid cash for a year in advance it would be like $38.49 a month. Almost double.

So I said, "Oh, you don't want my money - you want my account information." And she said yes.

Am I just paranoid, or what? If you pay Defined Fitness in advance - its cheape;, if you pay Liberty Gym in advance, its the same.

I know, I know I can go there instead, and I will, I just don't understand this. I once belonged to Golds Gym several years ago when they were downstairs in Montgomery Plaza, and I was very concerned that they wouldn't stop charging, because they were so scuzzy.

Cash in advance does not rule? And it's true, I am willing to pay a little more to not have to give some scumbag access to my banking information. But not to someone who is telling me, we are scumbags, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:28 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbyndsea View Post
So I said, "Oh, you don't want my money - you want my account information." And she said yes.

access to my banking information.
What banking information you talking about?

I always use a credit card because of the built-in protection.

I do not use a debit card.

So what banking information are you talking about? Your saving account number? No way would I give it out...

Rich

Old 03-05-2011, 02:54 PM

EFT - electronic funds transfer - I assume checking account

Old 03-05-2011, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 52,352 times
I'm a member of the Open Gym. It's a small, family-owned gym that is always clean, well-maintained, and rarely crowded. They hold free classes after 5PM every day of the week. The owner, Bill, is a laid back and friendly guy. The staff and trainers are also very friendly and welcoming. I'm in there at least four days a week, so I can attest to the fact that other members are cordial and polite.

Have you been a member of a gym before (other than Golds)? Every gym I have ever joined has required credit card or bank data. None of them have ever accepted cash. Defined, for example, requires an EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) or a credit card number, and imposes penalties if you quit before 12 months have passed. Liberty has similar rules.

Honestly, it's disingenuous of you to call them "scumbags". I recommend giving the Open Gym another chance. Pay with a credit card or debit card number.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
I would find it bothersome if a place required banking information and refused to take a cash payment for an entire year up front. Businesses wanting that kind of data for the sake of having the data make me uncomfortable. As other posters have suggested though, I would go with a credit card rather than bank info.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:27 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,741,231 times
Can't you just pay cash monthly.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Well if I paid cash 6 months in advance it was like $38.49/month - almost double the price of EFT. I am the one who wanted to pay 12 months in advance, but the 19.99 a month. She would take the cash but $38.49/month. I had actually been hoping for a discount, but I would have settled for $19.99.

For that price I can go to a place more open - to allowing cash. Liberty Gym, they don't care how you pay. Defined Fitness will allow you to pay cash for one year in advance and you get one month free. I have belonged to Defined Fitness in the past and paid by check. Technically I would still be a member, just haven't been going for a long time. I admit it was a corporate membership, but I did call them today and confirmed that I could pay cash for a year in advance, and get a discount.

I agree Open Gym looked nice, but they don't seem open to having me a member. That's okay, I don't want to give them my banking information, and there are other gyms I can go to. They would have been convenient, oh well.

I called them scumbags because I can't imagine why they need my banking information if I am willing to pay cash for 12 months in advance, except for some other nefarious purpose. Why would I need to pay double to pay cash? Why? The staff member was upset by the question. And I was upset by the answer, which was not really an answer.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
I recommend that no one ever (as in never) give someone else access to their bank account for any reason. There are so many cases where the other party continues to withdraw money after any is due. It is a real hassle to get it back, if possible at all, as well as to stop it. Many, many of these cases involve gyms.

If it is necessary, which should be very limited circumstances, use a credit card. At least that way, you can contest continuing charges with your credit card company and have a fair chance of getting them removed.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Just get a prepaid Visa in the amount you need and use that for the EFT.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM

I think I should just go to another gym.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque