Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 AM

26 posts, read 31,935 times

Advertisements

BJs is ok....but the local breweries have way better food and beer selections.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 07:07 AM

26 posts, read 31,935 times
This is the number one thing i miss from ABQ....the breweries....so far the breweries ive tried in AZ do not compare.....so far....

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
There are quite a few people in Albuquerque seeking Assistant Brewer positions at the existing breweries -every brewery in Albuquerque gets at least a handful of resumes a month- yet it seems BJs is not hiring brewers locally. I can understand bringing in Head Brewers, but ABs, too?

Lame.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 AM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There are quite a few people in Albuquerque seeking Assistant Brewer positions at the existing breweries -every brewery in Albuquerque gets at least a handful of resumes a month- yet it seems BJs is not hiring brewers locally. I can understand bringing in Head Brewers, but ABs, too?

Lame.
Perhaps the ABQ BJ's will brew really good beer, but I doubt it (based on the other locations I've tried).

Their recipes are probably mandated from their corporate HQ and no deviation allowed.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post

Their recipes are probably mandated from their corporate HQ and no deviation allowed.
Oh, I would bet big money on that. I wouldn't expect anything else; consistency is a big part of the corporate model.

You should be able to sit in the Albuquerque BJs and be unable to tell whether you are in Albuquerque, California, or any one of their restaurants in any part of the country. If you can tell you are in New Mexico without looking out the window, they are doing something wrong.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:33 PM

91 posts, read 142,108 times
Yup and that is why you have people who like chains. Nothing against mom and pop and some people think chains are Satan, but people who travel, may like a certain thing they get from a chain. So if i'm in Boston, and I know I love food from Cheesecake Factory, then I will go there. As I said before, as ABQ grows, the taste of the people in the city grows. Not everyone loves chile, and not everyone loves "bland chain food". Some don't care, but to be upset that an investment is going in, is crazy.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Glad that Marble is going to have a tap room on the W. side. Can't wait! I must say that Turtle Mountain really impressed me, so I'm happy to be wedged between the two.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,475,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevationnation View Post
...but to be upset that an investment is going in, is crazy.
Not if that investment forces other decent local places out of business.

The chains can subsidize their operations (at least for awhile) when coming into a new area in order to get established, which allows them to "unfairly" compete against local restaurants.

I put unfairly in quotes since I strongly believe in free enterprise and letting marketplace economics dictate who survives or fails. But I still believe it's unfortunate when chains come into an area and force existing businesses out of the marketplace. The local mom's and pop's are part of the charm of ABQ; without them we run the risk of just turning into Anywhere, USA.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Every city in every state has a mixture of chain and mom and pops. Every place I have ever stayed at for over a few days I am always able to find the local eateries, pubs and bars. Abq is no different. I was raised in SoCal where there is a plethora of chain places but the only one I ever frequented was In-N-Out.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM

I agree NMHacker. The city is becoming a regional center vs just a tourist spot. With all of the people arriving here from various parts of the country, you have to have a mixture of mom and pops and chains. Folks who are not from here, are not familiar or love chilie. I for one can care less about red or green. While that is the culture here, I don't bash it, and I think it's wonderful. I also think that it is wonderful that a company invests millions to come to the area bringing many jobs in construction to build it, and jobs to staff the thing. Rarely happens with a mom and pop. If the mom and pop is good enough, it will stay in the community, and maybe make some step up their game, instead of knowing people don't have a choice and come in drone mode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque