Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 18,557 times

Advertisements

I am moving to ABQ next week myself. Look on Craigslist as that's where most of the postings will go and many have pictures as well.

FYI - there are warnings all over Craigslist to stay away from Sun Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 23,387 times
My wife lived in Sun Village when we first met. It's a fair option close to campus but it has really awkward freeway access. Honestly, ABQ isn't enormous, anywhere within 2 miles distance to I-25 or I-40 makes for a simple drive to campus. As for the the gas concern, I also have an F-150 (with Triton pack no less) and have spent $300 to get my bicycle fixed up to commute more. There's a good amount of bike friendly options around campus so let that thought pop in too.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Heed mortimer and Burquebinder.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 52,374 times
Studious,

I'm a graduate student at UNM and I've been through the process of finding housing around here twice now. Trying to find a good place online is generally a waste of time. The only website that I found to be moderately helpful is UNM's off campus housing website: The University of New Mexico - Off-Campus Housing

The best way to find a GOOD place, as mortimer already suggested, is to walk up and down each and every cross street looking for "For Rent" signs. There are a few nice small apartment complexes just south of the university, but they rarely if ever advertise online.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions about the area, being a grad student at UNM, and etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studious
I can't find a post anywhere about
where he/she settled....do you know?
Truckzter picked out a place way the heck out over near San Pedro and Kathryn, I think.
Later, they moved closer.

You can search on a poster in the advanced mode and look up stuff like that.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63
This is debatable. UNM added a huge new parking structure ...
I wonder how many new students were added over the intervening years vs. how many new parking spaces were created?

In any case; can any schmuk with the funds get a parking space there?
At UNM, people with good spaces tend to be people who have been there forever.

Studious will still probably be stuck in the back of the lot.
The bike idea will actually work pretty well in combination with that option.

The best option is to forgo bike, car, truck, bus and use your tootsies.

I won't give in on this --- EVER.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswb View Post
The best way to find a GOOD place, as mortimer already suggested, is to walk up and down each and every cross street looking for "For Rent" signs.
is that true also outside the university district, areas such as Near Northeast and Uptown for example? Thanks

Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidArizona
is that true also outside the university district, ...
I would say it is true for pre-war neighborhoods, so some of those could work, but as the housing stock
gets newer, the less garage apartments, and split-up single-family houses and stuff like that out there.

The thing is that the density of small apartments is greater in the UNM area plus the turnover is also higher.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM

649 posts, read 1,132,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I would say it is true for pre-war neighborhoods, so some of those could work, but as the housing stock
gets newer, the less garage apartments, and split-up single-family houses and stuff like that out there.

The thing is that the density of small apartments is greater in the UNM area plus the turnover is also higher.
thanks, I have some credit issues so prefer to deal directly with individual landlords LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque