Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 6,860 times

Advertisements

I'm about to get kicked out of my parents' house at the end of August. I HAVE to move somewhere and live on my own, because it's the only way I'll learn to be independent. The thing is, though, I can't function that well in society, so I may or may not end up homeless when I get out West (more on that in my previous thread). One trick among homeless people is to hold up a sign. This is what my sign will say:

WILL WORK FOR FOOD
Ich spreche Deutsch (native German speaker)
Y hablo español

Now, I understand that saying "Hablo español" will get me MANY MORE job opportunities in ABQ/Santa Fe than saying "Ich spreche Deutsch", but is there "room" in Albuquerque for a non-English and non-Spanish language like German? Concerning that second line, I'm actually not a "from the cradle" native German speaker, but I've been learning German long enough and been to "Deutschland" enough times that I FEEL as though German were my "second" native language. Employers are not allowed to ask HOW I learned a language (in this case, German), but only how proficient I am in the language.

What are the chances that a businessman will come up to me and say, "I work for company xyz here in Albuquerque, and we do a lot of business with Germany. We could use someone like you who knows German. Let me give you my business card...." I understand that's a "Deus ex machina" and that most people passing by will NOT have a job for me anyway (I've heard most of the time, they'll just give me spare change or food), but any chance is better than zero chance.

Do not go into how bad or stupid homelessness is - I have no choice and you all already discussed that in my last thread (without answering my original questions). That's not what I want to discuss. Please answer the original question - Will I be marketable in Albuquerque/Santa Fe if I'm proficient in German (like a native)?

Last edited by SalzDeu1291; 06-27-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 08:30 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,453,216 times
The "trick" homeless people who hold up a sign are playing is that they have no intention of working for food. If they did, then at the very least they would be waiting with all of the other people who want to work at one of the day job locations rather than holding up a sign.
They want money for either drugs or alcohol, since free meals are available at many locations in ABQ. Free counseling/programs for drug and alcohol dependence are also available but the vast majority holding up signs have no intention of getting treatment.

If the need for a native German speaker arises, I seriously doubt a legitimate business is looking on street corners to fill positions.

Homelessness, or being homeless, is not stupid but it's a very unsafe way to live. Having a legitimate psychiatric problem or disorder is also not "bad" but moving here with the intent to maybe get state/government aid shows poor planning on your part...do you realize how difficult it is to apply for funds that are being cut due to budget problems the state ( like many others ) has?

Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 AM

372 posts, read 712,246 times
Many times, one must apply for jobs in order to receive a paying position. Many employers will not hire someone that doesn't make the effort to go to them and explain why they should be on the payroll.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,815,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalzDeu1291 View Post
I'm about to get kicked out of my parents' house

I can't function that well in society

I'm actually not a "from the cradle" native German speaker, but I've been learning German long enough and been to "Deutschland" enough times that I FEEL as though German were my "second" native language.

What are the chances that a businessman will come up to me and say, "I work for company xyz here in Albuquerque, and we do a lot of business with Germany. We could use someone like you who knows German. Let me give you my business card...."

Do not go into how bad or stupid homelessness is - I have no choice and you all already discussed that in my last thread (without answering my original questions).

Please answer the original question - Will I be marketable in Albuquerque/Santa Fe if I'm proficient in German (like a native)?

No. I do not believe you will be marketable in Albuquerque or Santa Fe just because you are proficient in German.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-26-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,632,416 times
I believe people of German descent are the largest group in New Mexico after Hispanics and American Indians. Whether this would translate into a need for a person who speaks German I don't know.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:11 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,034 times
I speak German, have held many professional positions, and over the past 20 years it has not helped once (in Albuquerque).

For the job listings I've put forward, the following reasons are why people don't get hired (by me, anyway):

*No following through with the process (sending an email, following directions)
*Not providing a sense of "will this person show up on time every workday, and not be a complete pain when they do?"
*Taking too long to apply (when 10 of the first 20 will do, why bother with #51?)

You would be amazed how many fail one or all of these. Also amazing is how few pass the first two.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:59 AM

167 posts, read 598,762 times
German is a fairly hard language to learn. My daughter spent time in Germany while in HS, and took German and I remember it well. You are still fairly young- what 27- why not enroll in college here? It does take a year to get instate tuition but you could work somewhere in the meantime. Sitel is a call center that is pretty sucky to work at but if you could tough it out, you would have a job. They hire most anyone.

I think you could get a job but it may not be an ideal job- McDonalds etc... but remember it wont be forever. It is a start to a life that you are wanting to build. You have to have a plan to get anywhere and creating a plan for your life can take some thought.

I have a son that also has a hard time fitting in and such. He finally got his GED at age 25 and is starting at the Junior College in California. His issues are smoking a lot of pot and not really following rules and blending socially. I have noticed that he is changing slowly for the better as he grows up and realizes that he cant do life his way, and that working and following the law is really the only way. He has been homeless for almost 5 years. Its been very painful for me, but I refused to enable his drugs and drinking anymore by him living at home, not working, not doing school etc etc.

You need to address the issues of why you are having a hard time functioning in society. Figure it out with or without help and then work on it the best you can. You can do this. You can find a place where you do fit in and be happy. I would seriously investigate a trade or career you would enjoy. Perhaps you need to be working where you do not have a lot of interaction with others and work more on your own. I do not know your personality but we all have job strengths and weaknesses and preferences. You need to find yours and then proceed.

As far as your statement that in your last thread we did not answer your questions, I believe that yes- there were some jokes -but there were also some people who REALLY took the time to answer your questions, encourage you and shared their own personal experiences.

I do not know about the German here, but based on the previous posts it doesnt seem very viable for you here in ABQ.

I hope not to see you on the street with a sign. Take care!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
I believe people of German descent are the largest group in New Mexico after Hispanics and American Indians. Whether this would translate into a need for a person who speaks German I don't know.
Being of Geman decent? I am not sure that is true, certainly not if you are thinking first or second generation. I don't think you can say that about any nationality in NM other than Hispanic and Native Americans or American Indians (whichever)

OP, there are very few companies that would be looking for someone who speaks fluent German in NM. You are better off consentrationg on very large metro areas like Los Angeles, NY, Denver, etc.

Nita

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Being of Geman decent? I am not sure that is true, certainly not if you are thinking first or second generation. I don't think you can say that about any nationality in NM other than Hispanic and Native Americans or American Indians (whichever)
I don't quite understand what you're saying.

I got that information from Wikipedia's article on New Mexico.

Take that as you wish. However, they do cite census figures from 2000.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,891,374 times
I have a son that also has a hard time fitting in and such. He finally got his GED at age 25 and is starting at the Junior College in California. His issues are smoking a lot of pot and not really following rules and blending socially. I have noticed that he is changing slowly for the better as he grows up and realizes that he cant do life his way, and that working and following the law is really the only way. He has been homeless for almost 5 years. Its been very painful for me, but I refused to enable his drugs and drinking anymore by him living at home, not working, not doing school etc etc.

You must be one heck of a strong parent....with a ton of common sense. Kudos to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque