Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 PM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times

Advertisements

We've gotten a lot more rain this year than last, seems like
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,405,115 times
What have you seen on the mountain bike trails? Wherever I've been hiking this year, the trails have been bone dry and dusty.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 AM
N8! N8! started this thread

2,408 posts, read 5,305,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What have you seen on the mountain bike trails? Wherever I've been hiking this year, the trails have been bone dry and dusty.
Vs Last Year:

No forest closures this year, and lots of bear activity on the east side of the Sandias- since there is quite a bit of acorns for them to eat this year too.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapingWI View Post
Great pics, Aries. Being from the midwest, I find it SO interesting that there are maples in the Manzano mountains! I'm assuming this is the same "strand" as decribed in my hiking book (Fourth of July Canyon-Cerro Blanco hike). Even if I'm too late for the maples, I think I'll do the hike anyway. How fun to see pictures of what I've been reading about!
While you're in that area, if you're interested, check out the Manzano Mountain Retreat, which has a large apple orchard and sells its apples and cider. It's open late September to early November. They had to close a few years ago because the heat from a nearby forest fire damaged the trees, but they are back open for business.

Apples, Apple Cider and Apple Festival, New Mexico - Manzano Mountain Retreat

Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapingWI View Post
Great pics, Aries. Being from the midwest, I find it SO interesting that there are maples in the Manzano mountains! I'm assuming this is the same "strand" as decribed in my hiking book (Fourth of July Canyon-Cerro Blanco hike). Even if I'm too late for the maples, I think I'll do the hike anyway. How fun to see pictures of what I've been reading about!
That hike is one of the nicest in the Middle Rio Grande region and the maples there are quite a treat considering their rarity here. Doesn't matter if the maples are past peak or dropped their leaves, it is still a nice area with a nice meadow at the crest.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 100,135 times
Thanks for the link to the orchard, Aries! I'm not sure if I'll end up hiking there on a day they are open (they are closed Mon-Wed), but if I do, you can be sure I'll be grabbing some apple cider.

And thanks for the encouraging words to do the hike anyway, regardless of foliage, ABQConvict.

I love this forum! Everyone has been so friendly and helpful/informative. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, as the people I've met on my past visits to the ABQ area have been really great. I remember coming back from my first trip several years ago and telling people that the kindness/friendliness of the people of NM put midwestern hospitality to shame!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
If you are going to hike the Forth of July/Cerro Blanco, take a side trip (just a few more miles south of Tajique) to the Quarai ruins in Salinas Nat. Monument. The ruins of the abbey there are magnificent and represent some of the earliest standing European monumental architecture in the America.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you are going to hike the Forth of July/Cerro Blanco, take a side trip (just a few more miles south of Tajique) to the Quarai ruins in Salinas Nat. Monument. The ruins of the abbey there are magnificent and represent some of the earliest standing European monumental architecture in the America.
Good tip-- and admission is free!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Took a motorcycle ride (350 miles RT) up to the North Country of New Hampshire last week. Very few of the trees have turned color. I'll send some pictures when they do. The weather is already turning chill arouind here.

The colors in the Manzanas Mountains look a lot like many parts of New England. Are the maples "natural" or were they imported? Anyone tap them for syrup?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM

62 posts, read 100,135 times
I googled Salinas National Monument. . .looks really cool! I'd never heard of it, so thanks for the tip. The website did say that the visitor center is closed because of hazardous materials, though. YIKES!! But I'm assuming the rest of the ruins/missions would be open (?)

What I'm realizing, however, is that I need to get some maps in order soon so I know where the heck I'm going! (Yes, I am one of those low-tech people--so no GPS )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque