Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2012, 02:20 AM

16 posts, read 32,036 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a veterinary clinic near Nob Hill that isn't money motivated, and is good with cats. I have a cat with a dental problem. She's older, with swelling around one of her upper canine teeth, and I suspect that it will likely have to be extracted (Looks like she has alveolar osteitis).

I've searched for vets in my area, and one particular clinic name seems to come up often. I understand their prices are on the high side, but they supposedly have good dental facilities. On their website, however, their intake form requires you to give your driver's license number and SSN, which bothers me a lot. I pay my bill immediately when I take my animal to a vet, and I don't think that they should have this information. It suggests that their prices really are high if they're worried about people skipping out on their bill. My favorite vet in Belen never would have dreamed about asking for this info.

Can anyone recommend an animal clinic near Nob Hill that isn't money-motivated like this, but is still trustworthy? I love my cat and want her to be well cared for, but I cringe at the way some vets take advantage these days with high prices. With the last vet we went to, it was $200 just to walk in the door for a basic exam and vaccinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM

350 posts, read 769,075 times
Aztec Animal Clinic is very good.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, I do appreciate it, but Aztec is the clinic to which I was referring (requiring SSN, Driver's license, etc). I mean, I'll pay for a procedure up front in cash, if I need to, and also give a credit card deposit if they're so concerned that I won't pay for any emergency extras. However, the only entities that get my SSN are government agencies, banks, employers, and others that are required by law to collect that information. Having been through ID theft once, never again. If you've been through it, you'll understand my caution.

Besides, what does it say about a vet that the second you walk in the door you're required to fork over this info? For me, it gives the impression they care more about collecting money than the animals they treat.

I've also read online that Aztec doesn't have anyone to watch the animals overnight. If this is true and your pet has a critical episode during the night, well....

I'm gathering that since no one else has offered a suggestion, good medical care for pets is just as difficult to navigate in ABQ as medical care is for humans. Will head back to Belen to the vet I know cares about animals, charges reasonable fees for surgeries, and doesn't need your first born before they'll see your pets.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvGreenChile View Post
I'm gathering that since no one else has offered a suggestion, good medical care for pets is just as difficult to navigate in ABQ as medical care is for humans.
You gathered incorrectly. It might be that your requirements, demands and claims seemed pretty vague and/or narrow.

I don't know if you searched the forum for the word vet in the title, but these threads exist and don't specify dogs or horses in the title:
Vet on th e west side

In search of holistic Vet or one that is awesome with skin conditions.... on the west side...

Please help, I need to find a really good vet!

Alternative Vet in Albuquerque
I have been using Dr. Riegger since about 1998:
Northwest Animal Clinic & Hospital
Michael H. Riegger, DVM, Dipl. ABVP
1000 Alameda Blvd NW
Albuquerque,NM
505-898-1491
Rich

Old 01-19-2012, 12:56 AM

Thank you for the links. Much appreciated. I will check them out. Though I notice from scrolling through

Please help, I need to find a really good vet!

I'm not the only one who has experienced difficulty with vets here. When we first moved to ABQ in 2004, we had a 10-year-old Weimeraner who became very sick. We took her to two vets. The first one ran a bunch of expensive tests but couldn't give us an answer. Our baby continued to worsen. The second one, ran more tests, but didn't have an answer either. Finally, one afternoon she went into crisis, we knew she was failing, and I called the second vet to get her in. Though we would be the last patient of the day, he promised to see her. We arrived and the vet was high, literally wasted. Our dog died on his exam table in agony while he fumbled around.

We had another dog who, without warning, became very listless. We didn't know what was wrong. We drove her to an emergency care clinic here. The person at the desk was rude and completely focused on how we were going to pay. No interest in what was wrong with our dog. Even though we were the only ones in the waiting room, we were told we'd be waiting for some time. We left and went to another vet, who examined her and said she'd probably just eaten something that disagreed with her. The dog continued to get worse, not better.

Finally, we took her to the vet who became our favorite in Belen. Though this vet's office was busy, we were seen in under 5 minutes and within seconds the vet discovered the fang marks from a snake bite hidden under her fur. Just wish Belen was closer, because so far, this is the only good vet we've found.

I'm sorry if it seems my request was too vague or narrow. I've lived in a lot of different places, but never has it been this difficult to find a compassionate, trustworthy vet, for whom money isn't a major motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque