Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,809,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
You meant that they should not receive ...
... right?
You are correct, I meant to say "... should receive no ..."

I'll add to that. I also think that no industry should receive special tax breaks. The government should not financially encourage or discourage any particular industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Shoulda, coulda... whatever. I don't know how much this Sony Pictures Imageworks benefited from the film industry subsidy, did they? Anyway, Mayor Berry seemed very enthusiastic about the income generated locally by the film industry. Apparently he was influential in getting Susana to modify her stance on the issue. In any case, whether I like how this industry makes its money or not, real people and their families are affected. I wonder if you would feel comfortable walking up to each one of them and saying "good riddance."

Thanks, Poncho, for pointing out that this company was not a huge employer. Now make a list of all the companies in town that are smaller than Sony Pictures Imageworks so we can know how many expendable jobs are out there. "Business, schmisness..."

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Thanks, Poncho, for pointing out that this company was not a huge employer.
They have more people in India than here, and also in British Columbia...

Quote:
Now make a list of all the companies in town that are smaller than Sony Pictures Imageworks so we can know how many expendable jobs are out there. "Business, schmisness..."
You want the list? Get it yourself...

Rich

Old 03-08-2012, 02:58 PM

106 posts, read 433,740 times
Tell me how ANY industry should be subsidized with tax payers money. If it doesn't stand on its own, it shouldn't take money out of the proletariats pockets. Thats like taking money from people to employ others.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,085,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
Thats like taking money from people to employ others.
It would be great if it were that simple.

It's really like taking money from "some people," churning it through layers of bureaucracy
and then taking that money and employing less people than would be employed if
the money were allowed to stay in the hands of the original owners of said money.

There is, of course, some other "recycling" of funds used to take congresscritters
to expensive meals and host them on expensive trips and such (*) to make sure
that more money is "taken" from those same "some people" again and again and again ...

(*) When they, of course, have free time from being hosted by oil and gas interests ....

Old 03-08-2012, 05:40 PM

335 posts, read 518,156 times
Can't blame Sony...I just got back from a 3 week relocation scouting trip to Phoenix Metro > Albuquerque > Santa Fe > Phoenix Metro - Put over 2500 miles on a rental car in the process.

After spending time on-the-ground in ALB, the people themselves convinced me not to relocate my family and business there.

Besides the overall depressed social & business atmosphere, the cherry on top of a crap sundae for me was driving around on the Interstate and experiencing NM "licensed motorists" day-after-day...

What a bunch of narcissistic maniacs!

Having fond memories of ALB going back to the early 70s, and having not visited since the 96', I was more than a little sad to knock it off the top of my list...

P.S. The jury is still out on Phoenix, but the city was 1000% times more friendly, well-planned and enjoyable from a tourist and/or business investor's POV than Alb or Santa Fe IMHO.

Last edited by Biz901; 03-08-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 11:24 AM

350 posts, read 769,029 times
What New Mexico seems to lack - and this is most certainly the case in ABQ - is any sense at all of how to capitalize on any of its assets, including its film industry, through tactical marketing. Rather than sitting around in fear of losing financial ground to a billion dollar business that exposes our state to millions of people globally every year, it seems like it might be more intelligent to sit around thinking about the commercial value that exposure potentially creates and how we could start leveraging our existing wealth of historical, cultural and natural riches with it to generate cashflow that would counter losses and generate extra revenue for everyone. Other states seem to have grasped the concept well.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:10 PM

5,044 posts, read 7,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
Can't blame Sony...I just got back from a 3 week relocation scouting trip to Phoenix Metro > Albuquerque > Santa Fe > Phoenix Metro - Put over 2500 miles on a rental car in the process.

After spending time on-the-ground in ALB, the people themselves convinced me not to relocate my family and business there.

Besides the overall depressed social & business atmosphere, the cherry on top of a crap sundae for me was driving around on the Interstate and experiencing NM "licensed motorists" day-after-day...

What a bunch of narcissistic maniacs!

Having fond memories of ALB going back to the early 70s, and having not visited since the 96', I was more than a little sad to knock it off the top of my list...

P.S. The jury is still out on Phoenix, but the city was 1000% times more friendly, well-planned and enjoyable from a tourist and/or business investor's POV than Alb or Santa Fe IMHO.
This is funny, because Sony produced a promotional video called "Albuquerque: The Unknown" in which their employees gushed nonstop about the virtues of the city. You would think that we didn't exist until they "discovered" this diamond in the desert.

I just got back from Phoenix and did not find it as you described.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,922 times
Gotta have a bit of a tough survivor personality to exist in ABQ, it ain't for everyone - that's why there's PHX.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM

335 posts, read 518,156 times
Quote:
This is funny, because Sony produced a promotional video called "Albuquerque: The Unknown" in which their employees gushed nonstop about the virtues of the city. You would think that we didn't exist until they "discovered" this diamond in the desert.

I just got back from Phoenix and did not find it as you described.
I watched the "promotional" video months before my trip, and I betcha that was created to lure talent from the West Coast...

Guess what? Looks like Sony's attempt failed.

For me, Phoenix was superior for several reasons - I could actually relax (technically I was on vacation), stayed at FANTASTIC resorts/hotels, could thoroughly ENJOY eating in DECENT restaurants, was able to drive SAFELY at a SANE pace, was welcomed and more than able to spend time to talking to people I came across EVERYWHERE - VERSUS - (*in Albuquerque) Feeling like I was either going to be driven off the road when I ventured out (I will only drive up to 5mph over the speed limit), literally being shunned because I was an outsider (perhaps it's because I'm not hell bent on liberal politics and/or sports) and/or constantly having a sense that crime could be right around the corner in "certain" areas?

P.S. I never felt unsafe in Phoenix, but most of the time I did in ALB, including the 2nd day I was there when I drove into a Shell Station RIGHT after it was robbed and experienced four cops racing to the scene with guns drawn, in a huge shopping center in broad daylight.

I know crime happens everywhere, but I could almost taste all along Central...

I'm a VERY well traveled AMERICAN, have lived in several large cities over the last 50 years, and I'm an expert at body language, personality disorders and business opportunities.

Phoenix is kinda ok, but IMHO Albuquerque is not a safe place for me to move my family, my business or my capital.

P.S. I've ruled out Phoenix also (not based on the people/culture though), and at this point I'm looking towards the PNW...

Last edited by Biz901; 03-09-2012 at 08:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque