Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 03:07 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,300,559 times

Advertisements

I know this sounds like a stupid question. I would probably be putting my things in storage in the NE heights for a few weeks to a month. I have doubts though.

Has anyone on the board stored their stuff short or long term?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 04:55 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,927,414 times
Yes, I have never had any problems with mine. The one NW of Louisiana and Alemeda looks safe. I think it was the biggest waste of land ever, but other than that, the units look nice.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,659 times
Although we ended up selling our furniture when we left town, we had thought about storing it [for a future return to ABQ], and had also wondered about security. There were two U-haul sites that were very reasonable: Central & Tramway for about 60/mo and Belen for 37/mo, for 10x10 units. They both had pretty decent security as far as we could tell. I think the one off Tramway was staffed 24/7, and both had perimeter fences & security cameras.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:46 PM

Muchas gracias. My friend mentioned the one off Tramway also. Is that one U Store It?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Although we ended up selling our furniture when we left town, we had thought about storing it [for a future return to ABQ], and had also wondered about security. There were two U-haul sites that were very reasonable: Central & Tramway for about 60/mo and Belen for 37/mo, for 10x10 units. They both had pretty decent security as far as we could tell. I think the one off Tramway was staffed 24/7, and both had perimeter fences & security cameras.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 6,009,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Muchas gracias. My friend mentioned the one off Tramway also. Is that one U Store It?
Yep catrinac, I think so. I navigated to both via the U-Haul website.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM

I decided on a storage place called Guardian up in Taylor Ranch/Rio Rancho.

Welcome to Guardian Storage

This is the best looking storage place I've looked at yet, and seemed to have a little bit better customer service.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 24,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
I know this sounds like a stupid question. I would probably be putting my things in storage in the NE heights for a few weeks to a month. I have doubts though.

Has anyone on the board stored their stuff short or long term?
When we first moved here 15 years ago we stored almost a whole household worth of stuff, then after taking a TDY -- storage, again. We never had any problems, nor any worries. In addition, I have helped several friends move items into and out of storage units in Albuquerque -- never a problem or complaint with security.

Some of the owners are very quick to slap on penalties for late payments and unforgiving, but I don't see security as an issue.

Units used: Central near Wyoming
Snowheights near Eubank (approximately the 11000 block)
Indian School, corner of Juan Tabo and Indian School
(These are all in the near NE-heights, except the one on Central which is technically in the SE)

Even the one on Central & Wyoming, considered to be in the "war zone", was secured with a single electronic gate, high block walls, and razor-wire. At the time we didn't know it was the "war zone", but we still never had any problems with security, or even rumors of any problems.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
Please, PLEASE avoid U-Store-It, a large national chain. I had rented at 2001 Girard SE for over twenty years with great satisfaction. The facility was purchased by U-Store-it about two years ago. They eliminated the resident manager. There was a manager present during business hours. With no resident manager, the alarms were going off constantly, due to burglaries. With no notice to customers, U-Store-it simply turned off the alarm system, due to complaints from the neighbors. Beginning Christmas Eve, my unit was burglarized, repeatedly. Each time, I would attempt to secure the roll-up door as best as I could, running screws through the door into the jamb and track, but management refused to replace the cut door latch, so I couldn't put a new padlock on the latch. At this time, around Christmas, I was extremely weak and sick from a lung infection. Simply did not have the strength to move that week. U-Store-it management offered no help. They were terribly understaffed.

I begged the newly assigned lady manager to allow me to remove a latch from one of the empty units. Initially she refused(Company policy), but eventually relented, so that I could at least get a padlock onto the unit. I was way too sick to do much about it. Within two weeks, I was able to recruit enough help to get my stuff out of there, directing the work in my pajamas from a rental truck cab. This was right after Christmas, and I was really suffering being out in the cold.

I believe that the facility is now better secured, and appears they now have a resident manager. Can't confirm this. But, I would avoid this Company. My losses were about $3000. Many other units were also burglarized. We were all really angry. If you ever read the fine print on those insurance policies offered by storage companies, you will discover that recovery is difficult, if not impossible. If you have no other choice, when renting, complete an inventory list, with photo evidence before walking away from your newly-rented storage unit. Even then, you won't get much.

Please note that U-Stor-IT, a reputable local Albuquerque firm, is not the same as the company above.
The above instance was the only time that I have ever had trouble with a rented storage unit.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:38 PM

522 posts, read 1,614,928 times
The only thing I can tell you is do not use the Bekins on McLoed in the northeast heights. I had my stuff shipped there and they left it out in the parking lot unsecured over a weekend and everything I owned was stolen! It still devastates me. So security there must be nonexistent.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 AM

25 posts, read 102,151 times
Default loooking for a good self storage location...

We are finally arriving next week! We secured an apartment and are packingour house up roght now... We am in need of a self stroage place where I can store a few pieces of furniture that wont fit into the apartment (downsizing can be so fun) I prefer climate control, but safety and security is the most important factor... any suggestions? The furhter North and East the better!

Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque