Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,140 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple (35-36) with two kids (6 and 2) relocating from Ohio, and looking for some advice on targeted areas. The main things that are important to us are schools (currently in a catholic school, but public is not an issue) and neighborhoods (looking for other families with kids). Today I commute 40 minutes and will be driving a ton, but my office will be on the northeast side of the city, so if there are areas north of here (e.g. well outside of city) that you are thinking - toss them out. Other than that - we are sports and outdoors fanatics, so any other advice is well received. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,845 times
What is considered NE Albuquerque is a large area. You can find neighborhoods of homes from the $100k to $800k and more. Catholic schools are good. There are several around town, most of which are very good. Are you looking to purchase or rent? What is your price range? The far NE parts will give you easy access to the Sandia Mountains and outdoor activities. Also, in the far NE is some of the better Baseball, Soccer and Football programs and facilities. The further NE you go, you tend to get more expensive.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Default A litte more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
What is considered NE Albuquerque is a large area. You can find neighborhoods of homes from the $100k to $800k and more. Catholic schools are good. There are several around town, most of which are very good. Are you looking to purchase or rent? What is your price range? The far NE parts will give you easy access to the Sandia Mountains and outdoor activities. Also, in the far NE is some of the better Baseball, Soccer and Football programs and facilities. The further NE you go, you tend to get more expensive.
The office, for now, is on Holly Avenue in 87122 - a 30 minute commute would not be a problem. We are looking to purchase, and trying to stay between $225-275k. Ideally in a housing development with amenities (e.g. pool, etc...) and/or near a nice public golf course or private golf club. What are the areas in and around Rio Rancho like?

Old 03-17-2012, 07:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt996294 View Post
What are the areas in and around Rio Rancho like?
You might read this thread: Guide Me Through Rio Rancho

Areas around Rio Rancho, actually on the borders are Albuquerque (Northeast and Northwest side), Corrales and Bernallio

Rich

Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 AM

508 posts, read 1,087,494 times
I would say stick close to where you are working. There won't be much of a difference between many neighborhoods/schools in far NE and Rio Rancho, which is a needless commute. Why come to ABQ and commute when you don't have to?

Also, I know you are from Ohio, but from your post I sense that you wish we have more water out here in the desert than we do. Yes, you can have a pool, and yes, you can live on a nice green golf course. But why? Keep in mind that in addition to our very dry conditions, we have a "pool season" that is similar to that of most of Ohio. It's not as though you will be itching for one, as it doesn't really get all that hot for long.

Just a heads up, as a newcomer you might find ways to adapt...

Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Default Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
I would say stick close to where you are working. There won't be much of a difference between many neighborhoods/schools in far NE and Rio Rancho, which is a needless commute. Why come to ABQ and commute when you don't have to?

Also, I know you are from Ohio, but from your post I sense that you wish we have more water out here in the desert than we do. Yes, you can have a pool, and yes, you can live on a nice green golf course. But why? Keep in mind that in addition to our very dry conditions, we have a "pool season" that is similar to that of most of Ohio. It's not as though you will be itching for one, as it doesn't really get all that hot for long.

Just a heads up, as a newcomer you might find ways to adapt...
Thanks for all of the replies....I totally agree on adapting. I am very confident that I will not be building my brick colonial with an acre of grass in the middle of New Mexico . Part of my new job will be entertaining, and typically a country club helps out with that, which is more of why for the golf course. Plus I golf, and having a season that is longer than 4 months is very enticing to me. As for the pool, typically they go hand and hand with a club or with newer housing developments (at least around here), and our oldest daughter is on a swim team, so trying to continue to foster that.

From my cursery glance - the area around my office appears to be much older (e.g. no major updates to kitchens, bathrooms, etc...) and the houses smaller 3 br and smaller footprints for our price range. Or maybe houses just don't sell much in that area? From what we can tell, it seems like the house that we want would cost near $325-375k. Targeting 4 BR and around 2000-2500 sq ft. So commuting to Rio might actually make business sense - I will be in the office about 3 times a week and traveling most of the other time - plus company car and they pay for gas, so all that means is time.

Can anyone describe the area in and around my office? Are there neighborhoods to target that are geared towards younger families, are there any areas with neighborhood feel to them, etc...? What about crime, etc...

Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,188,570 times
Quote:
Can anyone describe the area in and around my office?
Exactly what you're looking for in terms of housing, except for the longer commute it sounds like you want.

It's on the edge of town and it happens to be almost all residential, most of it less than 20 years old. Upscale retail has moved in and although you can't zip across Paseo from Tramway to I-25 at 50 without having to stop anymore, it's still mostly easy to get anywhere in town in short order.

Quote:
Are there neighborhoods to target that are geared towards younger families, are there any areas with neighborhood feel to them, etc...?
To target, no. Younger families in this town are poorer than average, more so than the aggregate throughout the country.

You're going to have to find a happy medium between the McMansion square footage and a neighborhood feel; they're kinda opposites. Most really tight-knit neighborhoods are older and have far smaller (and tightly packed) houses.

Golf courses and family friendliness kinda run opposite too. You shouldn't want for either but recognize the two tend to be segregated. You could try Tanoan, which is an older but hoity toity gated community built around a golf course with its own country club. You could probably find a house or two there in your price range.

Quote:
What about crime, etc...
Extremely safe where you work, and if you stay within 10 min' drive of where you work. If you drive to the bad parts of town it probably still is much safer than certain parts of Ohio. Albuquerque is a safe city for 99% of its residents.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM

366 posts, read 869,678 times
If you are looking for a golf course and HOA, you will want to look at Four Hills & Tanoan. Pools aren't that common here. You can look at google maps and check out Four Hills and Tanoan and count the number of pools. These are two of the nicer neighborhoods in Albuquerque and you are looking at a pool every 5 houses? 10 Houses?

You don't seem to care how far you live, so I would say limit your search areas around a golf course and see what comes up. I think the area south of the Arroyo Del Oso golf course is really nice and I think you could get something the size you want in your price range there, but you probably won't get a pool or HOA.

If having a new house is a priority look at Rio Rancho and the west side.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Can anyone describe the area in and around my office?
I would as a minimum stay East of the Rio Grande, there are minimal bridges...

Rich

Old 03-19-2012, 10:50 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,014 times
You could live in Four Hills for the money you want to spend. You probably won't find a house with a pool though. The neighborhood itself is fantastic, very safe and for extra piece of mind there is a private armed security company for around $60 month.

The school district isn't the greatest though (from what I am told), I have no experience with the schools so will not say anything else, there are plenty of others here who are more qualified to comment.

The golf club and course is very nice, they also have a pool, membership is around $400-$600 month from what I remember. I know you can get non-golf memberships which are considerably less.

I live there, I like it and I feel very safe there, our property backs on to the base so it is just miles and miles of open space. We did apply for a transfer for our son who starts school this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque