Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 7,441 times

Advertisements

My husband has an awesome job offer and we are seriously considering moving to Socorro for a couple years. I've read every thread on here mentioning Socorro and I've searched all the "vast" resources on the internet. I'm not too concerned about it being boring, small, or isolated (we are mostly a hang out kind of family- we don't needs gobs of structured "activities" just a playground, backyard, outdoorsy stuff is fine for us.) I am concerned about the elementary schools (my oldest will be in Kindergarten next year) and crime/safety. Anyone know anything about this? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,304,786 times
Boring for sure unless you embrace a rural lifestyle.. I grew up with 4-H (rabbits/chickens/geese/sheep/gardening/working on equipment etc) and was never bored as we always had plenty of chores to do in small town NM.

Old 01-17-2014, 05:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Socorro doesn't really have the 4H vibe that was mentioned. It consists of NM Tech ("the tech" to townies), related businesses, and tourism mostly from I-25 thru-traffic and the occasional to-do (state Science Fair, festival of the cranes). The little amount of agriculture going on within a 30mi radius tends to be out of the town's consciousness and exists solely within 1mi of the Rio Grande. Most of the stores, etc. catering to this need will be in Belen, 40mi north, or beyond.

Judging by your posting location, you're coming from and going to academia (and likely astrophysics). I really did like the on-campus and trans-campus culture in Socorro. I advise you to stay near it and get involved in it. It has a lot to offer, and it's very family friendly, all things considered.

Socorro the town can be a bit scuzzy (it's actually far improved from what it was 20 or even 10 years ago) but aside from a slightly higher burglary and auto burglary rate, you shouldn't fear for your safety. Violent crime is uncommon there.

Most amenities can be found in town (Wal-mart plus), but fancy movie theaters are 50mi away for the nearest (there's a cute quaint one in the middle of town though), and real shopping malls about 75mi away in Albuquerque.

I never had first-hand experience with the schools (highly encourage you to live north of the plaza as far as that goes), but I can say that I'd feel somewhat guilty sending my kids to high school there (elementary and middle appeared just fine, with newer buildings). Socorro, like so many other NM communities, has a cohort of broken homes/cycle of poverty people, and when their kids hit high school they have a reputation for preying on the other high schoolers.

I thought the family housing on campus was very reasonable, as long as you didn't mind hearing the families on the other side of the walls.

As far as weather, expect it to be depressingly similar to Virginia- less rain, less humidity, more sunshine, but very similar temperature ranges from hot to cold. All in all though, you could do worse than Socorro.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks that really helps! Nice to know I probably won't get killed by a gang or something Yeah, our plan would be to go to Socorro for a few years then keep moving west closer to our extended family (we are originally from CA and moved to Virginia when my husband finished grad school.) Hopefully, the low cost of living would help us save money before attempting to move back to uber-expensive CA. Like I said, it being boring isn't too much of a problem. The small city we live in now has lots of 'stuff' but we don't really do much since we have little kids. We could always head up to ABQ to get a city fix. The climate sounds perfect for me- I have always loved the desert. I used to spend summers with my Dad's family outside of Vegas which sounds more extreme than Socorro. Looks like I've got some serious thinking to do!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar610 View Post
My husband has an awesome job offer and we are seriously considering moving to Socorro for a couple years.
Good job and relocate for a few years, to an area which some just dream about...

Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarar610 View Post
I used to spend summers with my Dad's family outside of Vegas which sounds more extreme than Socorro.
Las Vegas, New Mexico or Las Vegas, Nevada? There is a difference.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:07 AM

Whoops- Nevada! I've never been to Las Vegas, NM but I imagine it to be much different- ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico