Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ABQ Metro Voters Presidential Election Poll
Mitt Romney (R) 33 45.83%
Barack Obama (D) - Incumbent 33 45.83%
Other Candidate 6 8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times

Advertisements

^Id love if Gary Johnson was a viable candidate as well.

Here is what George Washington said about political parties.

"It serves to distract the Public Councils,
and enfeeble the Public Administration....
agitates the Community with ill-founded
jealousies and false alarms; kindles the
animosity of one.... against another....
it opens the door to foreign influence and
corruption... thus the policy and the will
of one country are subjected to the policy
and will of another"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
I went with Johnson on my early voting ballot yesterday. Gary is a Libertarian who loves to mountain bike; I too am a Libertarian who loves to mountain bike.

Besides that - the relative likelihood that an individual voter would determine the Electoral College winner in New Mexico is somewhere around 0.5.

Whereas the relative likelihood that an individual voter would determine the Electoral College winner in NV and OH is 11.8 and 11.2.

A NM presidential vote doesn't really matter much - it does in NM's senate race where (quite sadly) there is no candidate even close to being the next Pete Domenici.

Gary also climbed Mt Everest (with a broken leg) - and ya gotta love the Zia shout-out at the summit:

Last edited by N8!; 10-25-2012 at 11:19 AM..

Old 10-25-2012, 06:14 PM

295 posts, read 592,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Same experience here as well.

I've got no issue with showing an ID to vote and I hope NM makes it a legal requirement in the near future.
I don't understand how people could be against voter ID. Someone can easily access your info, and go vote in your place without you even knowing. This is ridiculous, It puzzles me to see where our country is headed.

The same people who say it will stop people from voting are the ones who probably don't even get out often anyway. Big deal, been voting all my life since I could and have shown 2 forms of ID every time!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:35 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
Same experience here as well.

I've got no issue with showing an ID to vote and I hope NM makes it a legal requirement in the near future.
I probably voted at the same place as Rich. Certainly didn't see showing my voter registration card as a "problem," as karmathecat characterized it. In fact, I'm not sure it was required, I had already pulled it out of my wallet and handed it to the clerk without them asking for anything. So I really don't know what they might have been requiring.

Like others, my wife and I don't get why folks would be against voter ID.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
I truly wonder how many people share this sentiment, but are put off by the lack of media coverage, and therefore think that he has no chance, and their vote would be wasted by voting for him?
Might be worth another poll - "If Gary Johnson had a chance of actually winning, would you vote for him?"

Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 PM

295 posts, read 592,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
Might be worth another poll - "If Gary Johnson had a chance of actually winning, would you vote for him?"
He could have won for US Senate, that's about it. The guy is a bigger joke than Ron Paul.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
I don't understand how people could be against voter ID. Someone can easily access your info, and go vote in your place without you even knowing. This is ridiculous, It puzzles me to see where our country is headed.
There are far easier ways to rig an election than impersonating a voter in person. The penalties are lower and the effects far greater for other schemes (like "assisting" with the recount in Ohio in 2004).

What requiring an ID does do is depress voter turnout; some people just don't have ID's and don't want them. It also empowers unskilled poll workers to disenfranchise people if they decide that their valid ID is invalid.

It puzzles me why people think voter ID is suddenly necessary after 200 years working just fine without it.

Quote:
The same people who say it will stop people from voting are the ones who probably don't even get out often anyway.
That's the most ignorant statement I've seen in months. It has no basis.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
He could have won for US Senate, that's about it. The guy is a bigger joke than Ron Paul.
Ah, so now I know why you wouldn't let me pick him in your poll.
Do you think he's a joke because he's so far behind or because you don't agree with his views?

Doesn't it concern you that the major parties are opting to exclude others from
even running a campaign? Do you like how they do it in Venezuela and Russia?

The electorate isn't already uninformed enough. Let's dumb them down by not letting them hear alternative views.

I'm waiting for the day when one of the major parties gets all three branches
and a majority of the Supreme Court and does away with presidential term limits.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I voted yesterday and wasn't asked for any ID - just some easily findable personal information.

There have been so many people swamping the early voting that on election day, any
information that comes out, will probably be irrelevant in the states that allow early voting.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM

10,750 posts, read 23,828,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
^Id love if Gary Johnson was a viable candidate as well.

Here is what George Washington said about political parties.

"It serves to distract the Public Councils,
and enfeeble the Public Administration....
agitates the Community with ill-founded
jealousies and false alarms; kindles the
animosity of one.... against another....
it opens the door to foreign influence and
corruption... thus the policy and the will
of one country are subjected to the policy
and will of another"
An incredibly profound window into our two party political system today. It amazes me how many people fall for this us against them BS and won't wake up and realize that this two party system is not truely representative of the common American citizen. We instead settle for the inertia of political despondence of the lesser of two evils rather than manifest something better.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 AM

112 posts, read 207,619 times
Obama all the way!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque