Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that ABQ citizens have voted to raise the minimum wage, the Route 66 Malt Shop is not paying its employees the higher wage. There seems to be no teeth in the law, so basically nobody has to pay the minimum wage. The only option an employee has is to sue the employer--highly unlikely since a person making that low of a wage can't afford to hire an attorney.

Here is a link to the article: Albuquerque business owner not paying new minimum wage | KOB.com

One thing I have found since moving to ABQ is that the salaries here are much lower than in Dallas or Austin Texas, but the cost of living is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
I saw that and several other reports. Eric Szeman, the owner of the Route 66 Malt Shop said “Ok... The option is I'll get my keys right now I'll kick all the customers out and I'll lock the doors. That's the only other option we have,". He says his payroll went from about $3,600 every two weeks to about $6,000. That's a lot of malts to sell everyday, I estimate about $200 per day profit required... I think I read he has 16 employees. Szeman has only had the shop at that local for about two years. I have been there, I would hate to see it go.

It will be interesting to see what happens... Personally, I don't see minimum wage laws as being beneficial to small business owners.

Rich

Old 02-21-2013, 09:23 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
i asked a waiter at Le Peep how much difference the new minimum wage made in his life and he said that it was almost inconsequential, after taxes, FICA, etc. are factored in. As a side note, I didn't notice an increase in prices once the change went into effect.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM

I know I would be willing to pay slightly higher prices in order for people to make a living wage.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post

One thing I have found since moving to ABQ is that the salaries here are much lower than in Dallas or Austin Texas, but the cost of living is higher.
Cost of Living - Average is 100

Albuquerque 93.8

Austin 95.0

Dallas 94.6

Old 02-21-2013, 10:14 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Quote:
I know I would be willing to pay slightly higher prices in order for people to make a living wage.
Minimum wage represents 5% of all wages in the US. More than 50% are under the age of 25 which represents a lot of students, 69% of those are part time jobs. The value of those jobs are not the low wage, It is on the job training they provide. 70% of those that take minimum wage jobs get a raise within a year. IMHO, it is not meant to be a living wage but a start.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM

366 posts, read 869,370 times
Quote:
There seems to be no teeth in the law, so basically nobody has to pay the minimum wage. The only option an employee has is to sue the employer--highly unlikely since a person making that low of a wage can't afford to hire an attorney.

?? Legal fees are covered by the law + twice the amount owed in damages + interest, plus it is about as easy of a case as can possibly be conceived. Why do people continue to spout this drivel? What do you want to do, have the city sue on their behalf because they can't be bothered to go to a lawyer?

If you are actually concerned that some people are missing out on their wages why don't you help connect them to a lawyer?

The only real problem is that in case of a bankruptcy. Now they don't get their money and are out of a job. If what he says is true and his labor cost increased by $2400 every two weeks, then he will probably be at the neighborhood of $10K in back wages + $20K in damages + interest + lawyer fees, which will probably bankrupt him if he is already struggling.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
?? Legal fees are covered by the law + twice the amount owed in damages + interest,
I do not doubt what you are saying, but where in the law that would apply here do you see "+ twice the amount owed in damages"? Is that a New Mexico law? I have seen punitive damages at 10 times damage in other locations.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:17 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
Thx to this thread, I think I'll go get a malt now.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
?? Legal fees are covered by the law + twice the amount owed in damages + interest, plus it is about as easy of a case as can possibly be conceived. Why do people continue to spout this drivel? What do you want to do, have the city sue on their behalf because they can't be bothered to go to a lawyer?

If you are actually concerned that some people are missing out on their wages why don't you help connect them to a lawyer?

The only real problem is that in case of a bankruptcy. Now they don't get their money and are out of a job. If what he says is true and his labor cost increased by $2400 every two weeks, then he will probably be at the neighborhood of $10K in back wages + $20K in damages + interest + lawyer fees, which will probably bankrupt him if he is already struggling.
If you are going to have a law, it should mean something or be enforceable--otherwise don't propose the law. It is ridiculous to think that people working minimum wage jobs will be starting lawsuits willy-nilly. Our courts are already overloaded. Either there is a new minimum wage or there isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque