Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:02 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times

Advertisements

Nmguy, your picture speaks volumes! Thanks to you both for confirming what I thought. Now where do you usually buy it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 01:59 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Nmguy loved the picture and remember the smells mmmmm.......

Old 10-03-2014, 05:56 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Would it be piñon wood?
What are some good local firewoods that have a great scent?
Piñon and juniper are both preferred firewoods, both for their aromatic smell and cleaner burning. While in some areas the ponderosa pine is more readily available and usually less costly. Other woods not as readily found are fir and spruce. Many people like to BBQ (smoke) with mesquite, but I don't think it's available for fireplaces.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Nmguy, your picture speaks volumes! Thanks to you both for confirming what I thought. Now where do you usually buy it?
Often you will find people selling right from the bed of their pickup trucks on roads around the outskirts. Tramway used to be a prime place for this but due to development in the last 15-20 years, Tramway is no longer the outskirts of town. Rt. 14 may be worth checking.

I have seen bundled firewood outside the entrances of supermarkets and gas stations, but not sure if it is pinon or not. It may be trucked in from Oregon for all I know.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have seen bundled firewood outside the entrances of supermarkets and gas stations, but not sure if it is pinon or not. It may be trucked in from Oregon for all I know.
I am wondering if Albuq imposed burning bans on fireplaces and woods stoves?

Here in Ruidoso it's possible to get all the FREE firewood you can use in a season if you have the ability to use your own chains saw and have access to a pickup or utility trailer. The village has one site in town where they regularly dump both log sections - and garden mulch - first come/first served and free. Most of the tree waste placed at curbside by property owners for pickup is also free for the taking if a person can safely park and load it.

Ruidoso has no burn ban on fireplaces and wood stoves (both or which are supposed to be code compliant).

Old 10-04-2014, 08:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
The south end of Corrales had various vendors selling wood, melons, furniture etc until recently when the village they finally erected a fence to stop the parking... I have a small chimenea in the yard, so I don't need much wood. Like ABQConvict said, outside the entrances of supermarkets and gas stations. Have burned Pinion and Pecan. Still have a little left over Mesquite which was a log and then I cut up as chips...

Old 10-04-2014, 11:00 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I am wondering if Albuq imposed burning bans on fireplaces and woods stoves?
No, but on certain nights there will be burn restrictions dependent on pollutant levels and wind patterns, so you need to call the Burn Hotline: 768-BURN. You can be cited for having a fire on a no-burn night (I've known people who have been fined). The city has a crew that goes around with flashlights on no-burn nights to look for smoke coming from chimneys.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:58 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
ABQ also posts the burn restrictions on their air quality site: Today's Air Quality — City of Albuquerque

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 10-04-2014 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 03:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Juniper is preferred here over pinon - less sooty for the chimney. I like them both a lot, but then I've got a stove rather than a fireplace, so I can burn the pinon hot which seems to keep the creosote down. My neighbor won't burn pinon - worried about creosote build up.

I love the smell of pecan too - driving through LC in the winter and the pecan farmers are burning the trimmings from their trees.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,863 times
Quote:
I now live in California. Moved in May. While in Placitas, I bought my piñon from a family that lived in Pecos. They'd deliver to the neighborhood once a year, or more, if need be). Their wood was dry, cut short (my fireplace wasn't very wide), bug-free, and extremely aromatic. If I had the family's phone number, I'd post it. But it's long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque