Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,658 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the idea of relocating to ABQ for several years. Something about that area that really appeals to me from what I've read and seen. I love the mountain views, sunny skies and low humidity, and especially the outdoors.
What would be the best area to live in the city where it's hip and progressive. A neighborhood with cafes, some bars and walkable shopping?
I'm a little past the partying stage but would like to live in an area that has that available if I need to let off some steam once in a while.
Also, do people have a tendency to get the desert equivelant of "island fever" living in ABQ? I know there isnt another large urban area around for hundreds of miles so I was wondering if that's an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 11:07 AM

461 posts, read 922,915 times
Nob Hill or Uptown. Santa Fe is close by too.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I think Albuquerque is just large enough to stave off 'island fever', but then again, I get out for a couple of weeks or more every year. And going to Santa Fe or the mountains for a day trip is a nice break as well.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:15 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,049 times
I'll add old town and downtown and some of the surrounding areas to the list of neighborhoods.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
If a sprawling city of half a million people ++ isn't enough to ward off even the faintest thought of island fever, its probably way too small and isolated for you.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM

815 posts, read 2,699,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
If a sprawling city of half a million people ++ isn't enough to ward off even the faintest thought of island fever, its probably way too small and isolated for you.
I'm sure it'll be fine Mr. Sarcasm, but it's always helpful to get a consensus from the locals. Living in California, one can drive from many large urban areas to another within two hours: San Diego to Los Angeles, San Francisco to San Jose or Sacramento, etc.. So basically, that's what I'm used to.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:29 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I'm sure it'll be fine Mr. Sarcasm, but it's always helpful to get a consensus from the locals. Living in California, one can drive from many large urban areas to another within two hours: San Diego to Los Angeles, San Francisco to San Jose or Sacramento, etc.. So basically, that's what I'm used to.
Santa Fe is quite vibrant for its size, and is a little less than an hour away. El Paso and Amarillo are only 4 hours away, while 7 hours in the car will get you to Tucson or Denver. And of course, Albuquerque itself is a "large urban area." The distances and travel times are a little longer, but you'll adjust...there's certainly no reason to feel stranded.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:27 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I was being sarcastic or dead serious. Seriously, if that sort of thing is a concern for you in a city and metro the size of Albuquerque, you'd probably be much happier someplace like El Paso. I'll admit it's not a concern I share, or even understand, as I'm just the opposite. But I do know Albuquerque is going to be culture shock compared to being able to "drive to many large urban areas within two hours", because little old Santa Fe is all you've got. Sorry I bothered you.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:32 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
Quote:
FWIW - The metro area of Abq is over 900k people. I can only think of one time that I was able to drive from San Diego to LA in two hours. That was at 2am in the morning. Usually it took me 3 hours or more during the day. You cannot get to any other major cities from Abq within two hours. Santa Fe is 45 minutes away and has a lot to offer. If you are looking to be able to get from one urban area to another in a few hours, Abq is not it. If you are looking to get from Abq to open space and a plethora of outdoor activities than Abq is it.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I'm not sure if I was being sarcastic or dead serious. Seriously, if that sort of thing is a concern for you in a city and metro the size of Albuquerque, you'd probably be much happier someplace like El Paso. I'll admit it's not a concern I share, or even understand, as I'm just the opposite. But I do know Albuquerque is going to be culture shock compared to being able to "drive to many large urban areas within two hours", because little old Santa Fe is all you've got. Sorry I bothered you.
Actually, while El Paso proper is a bit larger than Albuquerque proper the Albuquerque metro is somewhat larger than metro El Paso, and the Albuquerque/Santa Fe/Espanola CSA is quite a bit bigger than El Paso/Las Cruces. That all changes if you throw Juarez into the mix, of course, but while the violence has died down the last few years I imagine it will be a good while yet before many people will be crossing the border to check out its "urban amenities"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque